Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

dreamscometrue

I still don't draw the conclusion from that, that it is an arm based attraction, Kuka or otherwise. There are a lot of ride systems that do multiple degrees of freedom without using an arm.

Nope. Domed or moving screens aren't Kuka dependent.

I expect the real ride system tech to be used for the main LPS E Ticket. Not that the Falcon won't be impressive, though it'll be more akin to a track based EMV base.

Excellent. Thanks for clarifying this. :)

JediMasterMatt

Absolutely. All the toys will be out for this one. I'm glad the kid wizard woke them up for it.

Just to set expectations properly for everyone else, both E-tickets are going to be spectacular. It's just the MF attraction's ride experience is going to be exactly what you expect it to be. A theme parks fan's imagination can quickly hone in on what that will be like. I think, if what I've been told is accurate, the references to Forbidden Journey are more about the complete package. The queue should be amazing... although, I'm still scratching my head as to how operationally it will work. Of course, I had similar concerns with the Hogwarts Express and that worked out better than I could've imagined.

The exciting part is the possibilities that the Resistance battle will bring. It's the unknown that has the chance to really surprise with this one. As Martin implies... the entire tool shed and then some is available on this one.

Last edited:

Mike S

Which is thankfully why the Star Wars Greatest Hits Around the Galaxy approach was nixed. The way this was intentionally designed is similar to Potter: Hogsmede and Diagon Alley.

And no you Pixie Dusters... that doesn't mean a monorail between the parks allowing the Hyperspace Express at Platform 327. The current SWL is just one watering hole in an entire galaxy of possibilities. What I heard back when the first proposal was rejected for not being ambitious enough, this was the major sticking point. They didn't want to be painted in the corner... and nobody every puts Chewie in the corner.

And yes, DL's SWL does have infrastructure challenges... it's just their challenges have already started to be overcome and when the walls go up on January 11th, things will move very quickly in Anaheim. While DHS SWL will start early next year... TSL will come first and SWL's opening will be spaced sensibly enough away from it so they get two boosts. In Anaheim, they can't afford to keep the park a mess forever. In Orlando, they will just through some season events on top and nobody will ever notice. After all, the Magic Kingdom will still be open.

When the dust settles, I'm anticipating at least a year's difference between the East and West Coast versions when they open.
I really hope you're wrong about a years difference between the DL and DHS openings. That would make a bad situation at DL potentially even worse. Imo, they need to open very close to each other to avoid the swarming of one park as much as possible.

JediMasterMatt

I really hope you're wrong about a years difference between the DL and DHS openings. That would make a bad situation at DL potentially even worse. Imo, they need to open very close to each other to avoid the swarming of one park as much as possible.

Me too... but, here's why I think it's going to shake down this way.

- SWL at DL construction is going to be running at full force (pun very much intended) once the walls go up on the 11th. Work has already begun behind the scenes and will accelerate once the RoA is drained.
- SWL at DHS construction hasn't started and prep work hasn't begun. Not that shouldn't surprise anyone, just pointing out the obvious.
- I've been told that SWL's opening at DHS is contingent on Toy Story Land being fully operational.
- TSL has only minimal backhouse prep work that has been done at this point.
- WDW has discussed the DHS 2.0 makeover as two separate things and never as "both".
- I was told that TSL and SWL will open far enough apart so they can both be marketed and the spotlight focused on each.
- Most importantly, my Lucas friends told me "a long time ago" that DL was coming first and this message has never changed. Even when it was only guaranteed for DL, prior to the DHS makeover budget windfall, DL was always discussed as coming first.

The only way I can forsee the two of them opening within months of each other is if DL falls behind and WDW gets ahead on BOTH TSL and SWL.

And recent history has shown us what for TDO hitting deadlines?

I hope they open close to each other; but, I wouldn't bet on it.

Cesar R M

The article doesn't state KUKA, so that 'brand' was an assumption I made. Here's what it does suggest...

"From what we've heard so far, imagine a ride experience that combines elements from Star Tours and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. You ride aboard a spaceship that moves with multiple degrees of freedom (like on Star Tours), however, you will be in smaller ride vehicles that are each matched with its own domed projection screen as the vehicle and screen move in tandem on a ride track (like on Forbidden Journey). The spaceship in question will be the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon, and the action on the screen will change in response to your actions in flying the ship. (Another analogy might be a plussed-up version of Mission: Space — without the claustrophobia triggers and zero-G nausea.)"

Source: http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201512/4889/

Thoughts?
one can dream. the description sounds awesome.

Cesar R M

BTW, it's now been confirmed officially that Phineas and Ferb, Lightning McQueen and Mater, and Joffrey's by Premier will all close after the 3rd.
I was there today, and the lines for the M&G were pretty big, abnormally id say.
the osborne lightshow was completely swamed.

jt04

Prep work for SWL and TSL commences 1/4/16.

I can't believe some think the construction will take 5 years. ;)

Very good to hear Pizza Planet is going to yesterland. Very little left on my wish list.

And I think Episode VII will do "1 BILLION DOLLARS" domestic if the mouse wants it to enough. Perhaps by adding a sneak peak of the making of R1 and/or teaser for Episode VIII. Because, IMO, Episodes IV-IX are the Luke Skywalker story. Or should be.

Happy New Year!

WildcatDen

technically, you could expand harry potter as well. Remember that the whole HP was focused in tiny parts of Europe with some scenes in other areas..
They could bring worldwide wizard stuff. like the adventures of Harry and Ron as Aurors. or the next franchise about magical creatures.
I am hoping for a Marauders story line

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom