Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They're starting to wall up Streets of America area right after January 4th- Phineas and Ferb as well as Lightning McQueen and Mater will be leaving Hollywood Studios that day.

If this is true, I wonder exactly what they will be doing there. The streets are just fake facades in front of things that we don't expect to be going away any time soon. I can't see Star Wars Land making any major incursions into this area unless Muppets was also going away.

djkidkaz

So looking at aerial views and Steves latest update that Pizza Planet is closing for all of next year essentially, it appears that Pizza Planet almost backs up to Tattooine Traders. I'm wondering if they are possibly turning this into the Cantina and just changing the entrance to be on the other side of the building facing Star Tours instead of Muppets.

djkidkaz

If this is true, I wonder exactly what they will be doing there. The streets are just fake facades in front of things that we don't expect to be going away any time soon. I can't see Star Wars Land making any major incursions into this area unless Muppets was also going away.

I think we need someone to do an aerial mockup of where these expected walls will be going. Its getting confusing with Toy Story Land on one side of the park and Star Wars on the the other. And I've seen numerous mentions that Streets of America is being covered with walls which is the one area that we don't seem to know what is going in its place. They also haven't even announced the closure of LMA yet.

On the schedule, it says their performance times are unavailable after the 3rd. Plus I know some CMs said their last day is the 4th.

gmajew

Hmmm, okay. I understand what you mean about that emulating Potter in a certain way (being totally immersive) but it's the complete opposite of Potter in a different way. HP at Uni very explicitly brought to life specific places, items, food, etc. from the Potter world and, at least part of that appeal, is experiencing the very specific things from the books/movies. SWL seems to be going a complete different track of being generic and evoking the "feel" of Star Wars without replicating specific aspects seen in the films (with the major exception of the Millennium Falcon being present and the theme of one ride).

I don't have a any problem with the direction that is being taken and I think there are very strong arguments to pursue it in that fashion given the nature of the Star Wars IP. But it seems at least a little odd to cite the WWOHP as an inspiration since IMHO so much of the appeal of those lands is the "we're eating in the Three Broomsticks and drinking Butterbeer" type details.

Star Wars can not do what Harry Potter did. Harry Potter took place in a few very distinctive areas over every movie and every book. Star Wars took place everywhere and each movie and each story was on a different planet and a different location.... To replicate just one of those would leave fans mad they did not pick the other. Harry Potter it was simple to pick Hogwarts and Diagon Ally...

With that being sad Star Wars Land will be immersive and impressive and take you to that universe but it will be part of that universe! Not a specific known planet and that is what star wars is about. Each and every movie and each and every story takes place in a new world.

twebber55

Star Wars can not do what Harry Potter did. Harry Potter took place in a few very distinctive areas over every movie and every book. Star Wars took place everywhere and each movie and each story was on a different planet and a different location.... To replicate just one of those would leave fans mad they did not pick the other. Harry Potter it was simple to pick Hogwarts and Diagon Ally...

With that being sad Star Wars Land will be immersive and impressive and take you to that universe but it will be part of that universe! Not a specific known planet and that is what star wars is about. Each and every movie and each and every story takes place in a new world.
thats the reason im glad Disney chose to create a new land for star wars
i do think to create a star wars land is tougher to make than other IPs for the reasons you listed
HP, Carsland, Pandora are essentially one setting
should be fun to watch

doctornick

Oh, I agree and I think this is a reasonable plan for Star Wars. I just don't know if I'd agree that too much inspiration was taken from the Harry Potter theme park development (beyond "be totally immersive") given significant differences in the execution of each one.

Nonetheless, I had just wanted to understand @JediMasterMatt with his earlier comments and he's now clarified what he meant. I do hope that the quality of the execution is up to par with what Uni has done with Potter.

flyerjab

Oh, I agree and I think this is a reasonable plan for Star Wars. I just don't know if I'd agree that too much inspiration was taken from the Harry Potter theme park development (beyond "be totally immersive") given significant differences in the execution of each one.

Nonetheless, I had just wanted to understand @JediMasterMatt with his earlier comments and he's now clarified what he meant. I do hope that the quality of the execution is up to par with what Uni has done with Potter.

Considering who Disney acquired from UNI to lead this project, I have faith that this will be done up to par.

gmajew

I agree exactly... we are on the same page...

JediMasterMatt

Hmmm, okay. I understand what you mean about that emulating Potter in a certain way (being totally immersive) but it's the complete opposite of Potter in a different way. HP at Uni very explicitly brought to life specific places, items, food, etc. from the Potter world and, at least part of that appeal, is experiencing the very specific things from the books/movies. SWL seems to be going a complete different track of being generic and evoking the "feel" of Star Wars without replicating specific aspects seen in the films (with the major exception of the Millennium Falcon being present and the theme of one ride).

I don't have a any problem with the direction that is being taken and I think there are very strong arguments to pursue it in that fashion given the nature of the Star Wars IP. But it seems at least a little odd to cite the WWOHP as an inspiration since IMHO so much of the appeal of those lands is the "we're eating in the Three Broomsticks and drinking Butterbeer" type details.

If Potter phase 1 had Hogwarts and Gringott's put inside of IoA, what a different world we would now be in.

SWL is a point on the galactic map. It isn't a scrapbook of points of interest from around the IP.

If Disney wants to do more places of interest in the future, the can easily do so. The focus is narrowed and the result is going to be sharper than if we would've had, using the example I gave earlier, speeder bike chases sitting along side Mos Eisley's cantina.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Considering who Disney acquired from UNI to lead this project, I have faith that this will be done up to par.

That's great to hear. I thought both Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade were incredible. I probably could have spent an entire day in just those two lands. Something on that level for Star Wars has serious potential.

I also think that sticking with one locale for Star Wars is the right move, whether it's a pre-existing location we've seen in the films or something brand new.

Last edited:

EngineJoe

That's great to hear. I thought both Diagonal Alley and Hogsmeade were incredible. I probably could have spent an entire day in just those two lands. Something on that level for Star Wars has serious potential.

I also think that sticking with one locale for Star Wars is the right move, whether it's a pre-existing location we've seen in the films or something brand new.

You would think that but most of the lands in star wars aren't covered expansively in the movie. Like you could have a Death Star land but I think they would probably just do a Death Star ride like the Harry Potter journey ride.

Mos eisley may be the closest thing to diagon or hogsmeade but even that you only have the cantina and millennium falcon docking bay covered in the movie.

doctornick

Agreed. I think it would have been possible/reasonable to use a pre-existing location but certainly sticking to one place and making it immersive and sensible for that locale is the right way to go for Star Wars as opposed to putting different locations next to each other in a hodgepodge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom