Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Although both DL and DHS will be under construction at the same time and that will prevent any on the fly feedback, DL's SWL should be online first. DHS's has too many contingencies (parking garage, TSL, etc) that will slow it down.
DHS won't be that far behind. DL has as big an infrastructure job to do first, albeit a wetter one.

With DHS cast parking moved work in Orlando can start. They just need the garages and new entrance finished for its opening.

With episode 7 by all accounts about to go into orbit it makes you think perhaps one small land won't be enough.

JediMasterMatt

With episode 7 by all accounts about to go into orbit it makes you think perhaps one small land won't be enough.

Which is thankfully why the Star Wars Greatest Hits Around the Galaxy approach was nixed. The way this was intentionally designed is similar to Potter: Hogsmede and Diagon Alley.

And no you Pixie Dusters... that doesn't mean a monorail between the parks allowing the Hyperspace Express at Platform 327. The current SWL is just one watering hole in an entire galaxy of possibilities. What I heard back when the first proposal was rejected for not being ambitious enough, this was the major sticking point. They didn't want to be painted in the corner... and nobody every puts Chewie in the corner.

And yes, DL's SWL does have infrastructure challenges... it's just their challenges have already started to be overcome and when the walls go up on January 11th, things will move very quickly in Anaheim. While DHS SWL will start early next year... TSL will come first and SWL's opening will be spaced sensibly enough away from it so they get two boosts. In Anaheim, they can't afford to keep the park a mess forever. In Orlando, they will just through some season events on top and nobody will ever notice. After all, the Magic Kingdom will still be open.

When the dust settles, I'm anticipating at least a year's difference between the East and West Coast versions when they open.

doctornick

While I would love to see DHS have a variety of offerings, is there any consideration of "Phase 4" for DHS being additional Star Wars content? I believe there is enough demand to warrant two separate lands.

Crazydisneyfanluke

DHS won't be that far behind. DL has as big an infrastructure job to do first, albeit a wetter one.

With DHS cast parking moved work in Orlando can start. They just need the garages and new entrance finished for its opening.

*hopes DL version will be placed somewhere else*

Cesar R M

He needed to buy some time to falsify all the 1999 bad reviews. ;)
zufLMZS.gif

doctornick

And to think--all this because people whined about losing Toontown. Bet they feel like rubbish now!

Given the size of the expansion, I'm not sure that using Toontown instead would have "saved" the changes that are planned. At the very least, Big Thunder Ranch would have been lost.

Anyhow, I think that developing land on the north side of the RoA in DL is a good idea. They don't have much land and this is a creative way to retain (most of) the traditional layout while opening up a sizeable new space in the park. And getting rid of the Critter Country deadend and connecting the lands allowing for better guest flow is going to be a great thing.

IMHO, the bigger concern is not whether shortening the RoA and re-routing the train is a problem -- the parks are constantly evolving and changes should happen when needed to improve the parks -- but whether Star Wars "fits" into DL. I love SW, but it's just odd to have an IP centered land in a park build on more generic themes. Like many others, I wish they would have just put Star Wars into a third gate (would mesh well with Marvel). But I think putting a new land in that side of DL is cool (and it is overdue for a sizeable addition), just wish it were something fitting the character of the park better.

JohnD

Crazy question: DLR's SWL is scheduled to start soon and they to be done at the end of 2017. Why can't there been something announced for DHS regarding timeline. At least say TSL needs to be completed first and g
I've a deadline for it. I hope once the Osborne Ligts are gone for good that they start to make a move

Yeah. It's still all about the holiday season. Hopefully announcements in the New Year after the season has concluded.

JediMasterMatt

What exactly do you mean by that? That SWL was designed anticipating a second phase in a different location?

I'll use a bit of discretion in how best to answer this.

If one jumps into the wayback machine and rewinds the clock to when SWL rumors were flying around about Speeder Bike chases through Endor and visits inside of the Mos Eisely cantina, then visually your mind can paint a picture of something similar to a stroll through New Fantasyland. Oh, look... there's Belle's cottage... and hey, isn't that Prince Eric's Castle... how sweet... and just over there, it's the Dwarf's house. Neato.

That could've been SWL. Many ideas, crammed into one space.

The lessons learned down I-4 with the house that Potter built is you really should listen to the Dude and make sure the rug ties the room together. Guests love experiences that make them feel like they are immersed in a location. Instead of taking all the ideas and trying to make them fit like some sort of IP greatest hits playlist, make a concept album.

Is there a SWL 2.0 on the drawing boards? No, there is nothing that I'm aware of.

The way our trip to the galaxy far, far away is being created is using the Potter mindset. It is a 360 degree immersive (love that buzzword... it really expands the paradigm doesn't it?) world that will serve as the gateway to our adventures in the form of attractions, restaurants, and stores. Had the greatest hits approach been taken, the possibilities for the future would've been limited.

Using this method keeps the door open for more jumps to hyperspace to different locales in the future... if it's the will of the Force... and budget.

doctornick

I'll use a bit of discretion in how best to answer this.

If one jumps into the wayback machine and rewinds the clock to when SWL rumors were flying around about Speeder Bike chases through Endor and visits inside of the Mos Eisely cantina, then visually your mind can paint a picture of something similar to a stroll through New Fantasyland. Oh, look... there's Belle's cottage... and hey, isn't that Prince Eric's Castle... how sweet... and just over there, it's the Dwarf's house. Neato.

That could've been SWL. Many ideas, crammed into one space.

The lessons learned down I-4 with the house that Potter built is you really should listen to the Dude and make sure the rug ties the room together. Guests love experiences that make them feel like they are immersed in a location. Instead of taking all the ideas and trying to make them fit like some sort of IP greatest hits playlist, make a concept album.

Is there a SWL 2.0 on the drawing boards? No, there is nothing that I'm aware of.

The way our trip to the galaxy far, far away is being created is using the Potter mindset. It is a 360 degree immersive (love that buzzword... it really expands the paradigm doesn't it?) world that will serve as the gateway to our adventures in the form of attractions, restaurants, and stores. Had the greatest hits approach been taken, the possibilities for the future would've been limited.

Using this method keeps the door open for more jumps to hyperspace to different locales in the future... if it's the will of the Force... and budget.

Hmmm, okay. I understand what you mean about that emulating Potter in a certain way (being totally immersive) but it's the complete opposite of Potter in a different way. HP at Uni very explicitly brought to life specific places, items, food, etc. from the Potter world and, at least part of that appeal, is experiencing the very specific things from the books/movies. SWL seems to be going a complete different track of being generic and evoking the "feel" of Star Wars without replicating specific aspects seen in the films (with the major exception of the Millennium Falcon being present and the theme of one ride).

I don't have a any problem with the direction that is being taken and I think there are very strong arguments to pursue it in that fashion given the nature of the Star Wars IP. But it seems at least a little odd to cite the WWOHP as an inspiration since IMHO so much of the appeal of those lands is the "we're eating in the Three Broomsticks and drinking Butterbeer" type details.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom