Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Figment2005

So this was announced in August ... attractions were closed years ago .... yet no construction has begun yet.

Disgraceful really.
What in the immediate area of either expansion has closed that doesn't either have something currently utilizing the space or a new entertainment offering being built? The Back Lot Tour is the only attraction that closed without replacement, and it was a pathetic form of its former self. Animation closed, but is about to reopen as Launch Bay, American Idol closed, but is currently home to the popular Frozen stage show, Jedi Academy closed for an update, One Mans Dream is still open, Sounds Dangerous has been closed for far longer than this has been in the plan, but the building still gets used for events and previews. What prized attraction that you loved disappeared?

doctornick

What in the immediate area of either expansion has closed that doesn't either have something currently utilizing the space or a new entertainment offering being built? The Back Lot Tour is the only attraction that closed without replacement, and it was a pathetic form of its former self. Animation closed, but is about to reopen as Launch Bay, American Idol closed, but is currently home to the popular Frozen stage show, Jedi Academy closed for an update, One Mans Dream is still open, Sounds Dangerous has been closed for far longer than this has been in the plan, but the building still gets used for events and previews. What prized attraction that you loved disappeared?

I think it is fair to criticize the closure of Backlot Tour, especially given when it was closed in the timeline. Although a shell of its former self, it was still an available attraction to fill out the day for guests and had some value. The question is whether stuff is actually going on backstage in that former space (in prep for TSL or "Phase 3"). It's possible that it needed to close especially for the backstage stuff that is going to be relocated.

captainmoch

Backlot Tour closing was silly, mostly because in a park with so little attractions, sometimes you have to settle with a sucky ride for a while if it means having just six rides instead of just five.

Figment2005

I think it is fair to criticize the closure of Backlot Tour, especially given when it was closed in the timeline. Although a shell of its former self, it was still an available attraction to fill out the day for guests and had some value. The question is whether stuff is actually going on backstage in that former space (in prep for TSL or "Phase 3"). It's possible that it needed to close especially for the backstage stuff that is going to be relocated.
You're absolutely right, the tour was a great people eater. However I think of it as keeping a person on life support, sometimes pulling the plug, while not the best for everyone, is the right choice.

Atomicmickey

I like to think that the people who are planning this massive undertaking have reasonable reasons for closing things, and we cannot fathom the infrastructure and work that needs to happen to make this work.

To assume that they don't know what they are doing is a bit odd, as far as construction goes.

I understand questioning an entertainment change--but in this case, some engineer or planner had to say "we're going to need that closed by this date". Right?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I like to think that the people who are planning this massive undertaking have reasonable reasons for closing things, and we cannot fathom the infrastructure and work that needs to happen to make this work.

To assume that they don't know what they are doing is a bit odd, as far as construction goes.

I understand questioning an entertainment change--but in this case, some engineer or planner had to say "we're going to need that closed by this date". Right?

But there is not evidence that there was a construction related reason to closing the Backlot Tour.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You're absolutely right, the tour was a great people eater. However I think of it as keeping a person on life support, sometimes pulling the plug, while not the best for everyone, is the right choice.
It was on life support for a decade. So why close it last year? Cost cutting? Embarrassment? Nothing substantial has happened to it during the last 12 months and certainly nothing needing the area isolated.

mergatroid

Forget all this track and arm nonsense! If Disney had anything about them they'd build a real death star in space and a real Millenium Falcon to fly you up to it. NASA's only up the road so there really isn't a viable excuse to not do it, but that's what you get when the bean counters get involved :rolleyes:

suburbianj

Why couldn't we have a star tours similar ride except that vehicle is mounted to a rollercoaster track?if the video in the ride spins to evade an enemy,so does the actual vehicle you are in?so basically what IM trying to say is,mount a smaller star toursesque vehicle to a huge rollercoaster track and voila,bobs your uncle! There is already a park in Germany that uses VR headsets on one of there rollercoasters,and supposedly the results are amazing!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It was on life support for a decade. So why close it last year? Cost cutting? Embarrassment? Nothing substantial has happened to it during the last 12 months and certainly nothing needing the area isolated.

I wonder if there was something wrong with Cat Canyon and they felt it wasn't worth fixing it since they eventually planned to close it anyway. It is interesting that the only major thing that was done back there was the removal of the fuel tank for Cat Canyon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom