News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

dweezil78

Yeah, but I'm talking about building basic infastructure. They constructed the whole park, including the entire ROA and the DLRR, in a year, and in that same amount of time they're a little more than halfway through rerouting sections of each.

True... but it's not like those are the only two things going on right now and even as it pertains to those two projects, it's a bit more complex than it seems on the surface with building new infrastructure for Fantasmic and having to reshape existing train track while make sure the train actually can go where it needs to. You know, sciencey stuff. :p

FerretAfros

Very exciting to see construction going vertical! Those diagonal cross-braces are massive (even by California seismic standards), so it would seem that they have plans for some pretty heavy-duty stuff on the upper level of the attraction

And a quick friendly reminder that steel construction appears to move much faster than other parts of the construction process. Because everything is measured, cut, and drilled offsite, it's essentially just a plug-and-play process similar to an Erector Set. For a building this size, structural steel framing should take about 2 weeks

I would expect the building envelope to be fully enclosed in about 6 weeks. Enjoy the unobstructed wide-angle views of the site while we still have them!

sedati

I think the scale is overemphasized by bringing down the river and berm for the sake of being able to see into the land. For example that domed tower right against the river in that concept art looks to be this...

i-4PtWGcW-O.png
I don't think that's correct as it's on the wrong side of the new "berm." Trees are going in where the dirt is placed between the retaining walls. Anything Star Wars will lie in the foreground before the concrete wall seen in your photo.

RMichael21

Honestly, I think we've definitely been taking the view for granted, haha. Should be interesting to see how much we can still see after these buildings after finished.

Practical Pig

Do you mean this?

planets-rogue-one-a85e0471.jpg

That's one I had in mind, though obviously an aerial view, showing the extra structures populating the spires that disappeared in the DLR specific rendering you posted earlier. This one was so generic and overstuffed with artistic license it was hard for me to take seriously.

I mean, we all know that when this sucker opens there won't be a square inch of walkway visible though the mobs. ;)

SSG

Evidently they're running scared from shooting SWL videos from the parking structure ever since that channel "A Slice of Disney" got "busted". I always preferred their videos on mute anyways.
Fresh Baked's Dave has mentioned that a couple of times security asked him not to take video of SWL, but still photos were OK (weird distinction to make). Then he said the Slice of Disney guy was stopped and had his name and contact info taken down by security, which would make you think you could be banned from the park if you were caught a second time. If that's the new policy, these types of videos may not be around much longer.

Earl Sweatpants

Fresh Baked's Dave has mentioned that a couple of times security asked him not to take video of SWL, but still photos were OK (weird distinction to make). Then he said the Slice of Disney guy was stopped and had his name and contact info taken down by security, which would make you think you could be banned from the park if you were caught a second time. If that's the new policy, these types of videos may not be around much longer.
I did catch that and they even referenced the She's In Los Angeles channel in passing discussion about that. I sure would hope that Disney isn't going to be that uptight over filming as to ban people from that parks. Its not like they have signs up saying "NO FILMING, PHOTOS OK" anywhere.

I guess we'll have to enjoy what we get while we get it.

D

Deleted member 107043

Am I the only one looking forward to vertical construction blocking all the dirt views?

I wonder how much of the SW Land construction site will be visible from the top deck of the Mark Twain. Presumably trees will be planted along the berm behind the new rock work, but I imagine there'll be glimpses between them until they mature.

BrianLo

Original Poster
I don't think that's correct as it's on the wrong side of the new "berm." Trees are going in where the dirt is placed between the retaining walls. Anything Star Wars will lie in the foreground before the concrete wall seen in your photo.

This tower appears to be the one exception. It's difficult to tell because the concept art is not meant to be a very accurate representation of the river. But that is just to the side of the fantastic storage and may serve a function purpose related to Fantasmic.

IMG_1515.PNG

BrianLo

Original Poster
I did catch that and they even referenced the She's In Los Angeles channel in passing discussion about that. I sure would hope that Disney isn't going to be that uptight over filming as to ban people from that parks. Its not like they have signs up saying "NO FILMING, PHOTOS OK" anywhere.

I guess we'll have to enjoy what we get while we get it.

She's in LA looks like a nice motherly figure, doesn't yap up a storm and seems to not be constantly dragging around a posey. I have a feeling security will probably continue to ignore her and let her do her thing.

There was zero security representation in Nov, but then again I was quiet, respectful and appear non-threatening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom