News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

truecoat

These give a better view:

May28_pan_8833-X3.jpg

Click here for the full version (warning: it's big)

May28_pan_9063_mod-X3.jpg

Click here for the full version (warning: it's big)

How far out from opening were these taken? Long time no see @Macro! I followed your photo reports on the reconstruction of DCA over at Miceage for what...5+ years?

truecoat

I wonder if the SWL mountain range will be as tall as Carsland's mountains.

My guess is that some of the peaks will be tall but the overall area will be lower than the backdrop of Carsland. In comparing recent artwork with what was originally released, you can see design changes of the land. For example, the peaks are plain as opposed to having housing or buildings attached at the top.

Axoman

Isn't it interesting that it took a year and a day to build Disneyland but it'll take a year and a half to reroute half of the ROA and 3 years to build Star Wars land?

It is impressive how fast they built the original park, but they didn't have OSHA and other regulations like they have today, so I'm sure that made a big difference.

Ismael Flores

My guess is that some of the peaks will be tall but the overall area will be lower than the backdrop of Carsland. In comparing recent artwork with what was originally released, you can see design changes of the land. For example, the peaks are plain as opposed to having housing or buildings attached at the top.

I have been wondering about the height of the peaks in Star Wars Land. They haven't really said much about that. When Carsland was announced they talked about the height of the mountain range and how much many acres the mountain range took.

right now it seems that the rock work they added already for the train backdrop did a good job in blocking out the overpass for Disney way but the parking structure still looms brightly over a good chunk fo critter country and new Orleans square.
It will eb interesting to see how tall they make some of those peaks to be able to block the view of the huge brightly lit parking structure.

I don't think that trees on the rock work Berm would do the job by itself, the structure is really bright at night

Practical Pig

It looks a lot taller than Cars Land in the concept art.

Our view in the concept art is from above, and I think the apparent height from the ground perspective will rely a lot on forced perspective. Still, the fact that the buildings have been removed from the tops of the spires could mean they'll be tall enough to be seen from Frontier Land.

Stevek

Our view in the concept art is from above, and I think the apparent height from the ground perspective will rely a lot on forced perspective. Still, the fact that the buildings have been removed from the tops of the spires could mean they'll be tall enough to be seen from Frontier Land.
My guess is that very few of those spires will be seen from Frontierland, possibly blocked by the new tree line being planted which will me much taller by 2019.

Practical Pig

My guess is that very few of those spires will be seen from Frontierland, possibly blocked by the new tree line being planted which will me much taller by 2019.

I hope you're right. I don't share some people's objection to SWL in DL, but I like the idea of it existing behind a veil. But if some of it is peeking out the design change would help it blend pretty well, as truecoat noted. There could well be other reasons for the change.

Phroobar

It is impressive how fast they built the original park, but they didn't have OSHA and other regulations like they have today, so I'm sure that made a big difference.
I think there is also Disney's corporate bureaucracy that gums up construction. There are now lots of internal project managers and middle managers slowing the process. Back when Disneyland was built, it was done mostly with in house construction. Everything now is contracted out multiple times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom