News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

BrianLo

Original Poster
Yeah, that was Harrison Ford in the ABC special following a script, and he didn't exactly announce it as a name. Another way to interpret those words is to change the capitalization to "the Star Wars experience."

In all honesty I am expecting Planet Name: the Star Wars Experience.

In line with Pandora: the World of Avatar or Gringotts/Hogsmead: The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

I also anticipate it'll be cleared up at D23.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I am expecting Planet Name: the Star Wars Experience

Get out your Scrabble game and grab a handful of tiles and throw them out on a table. However they land, that will be the planet's name.

I got: Amqilyo

Amquilyo: The Star Wars Experience!

D

Deleted member 107043

Looks taller to me.

Star-Wars-Land_Full_28385.jpg

Cars-Land-cropped2.png

mickEblu

I don't like experience. Doesn't the word "experience" take away from the immersion they are trying to build? I mean no Visa or Coke but let's call it Star Wars Experience? It sounds like "here everyone get a little taste of the world of Star Wars, it's not real, but pretend you are there." If "Experience" is in the name, that is a big fail by marketing.

I don't think they ll go with "experience" and I know Star Wars HAS to be in the name. Thats what makes it tough to come up with a solid name.

dweezil78

Isn't it interesting that it took a year and a day to build Disneyland but it'll take a year and a half to reroute half of the ROA and 3 years to build Star Wars land?

To be fair, the original Disneyland was incredibly basic as far as technology goes. An impressive feat for sure, especially for the mid 50s, but things are a bit more complex these days!

Practical Pig

Did I see someone say the SWL concept art has been adjusted and it doesn't include those domed structures anymore?

No, there are still domed structures, but in an early batch of concept art, there were some placed on the tops of some of the spires, and it's those that seem to have been removed. I say "seem" because that early art was shown from a ground-level perspective making it more difficult to compare to the aerial-view artwork that Hans has posted. It's unclear to me in that aerial view how much of that rock work is artistic license to dress up the rendering, and how much we might expect to actually be built.

star-wars-land-the-city.jpg

D

Deleted member 107043

To be fair, the original Disneyland was incredibly basic as far as technology goes. An impressive feat for sure, especially for the mid 50s, but things are a bit more complex these days!

Yeah, but I'm talking about building basic infastructure. They constructed the whole park, including the entire ROA and the DLRR, in a year, and in that same amount of time they're a little more than halfway through rerouting sections of each.

DDLand

Yeah, that was Harrison Ford in the ABC special following a script, and he didn't exactly announce it as a name. Another way to interpret those words is to change the capitalization to "the Star Wars experience."
For what it's worth, the new Iron Man attraction at Hong Kong is known simply as Iron Man Experience. This may be a trend. Instead of just plain old fashioned attractions (does anyone want just an attraction?) we want something more exciting, more hip, more edgy. So they decided to make it an experience and really amaze us all!

When kids tweet about it later, they won't say "I rode it," they'll say "I experienced it!"

Or I'm guessing that's how the conversation went down in the board room. ;)

BrianLo

Original Poster
Im surprised this wasn't posted earlier.

Saw this on twitter today.

Can it be that it just went vertical? Or are those 4 beams just something else?

https://twitter.com/EscapeToThePark/status/829408319609532416

Thanks a bunch! I've been checking youtube frequently today for this very reason, but looks like Jane didn't visit today.

I'm both super happy and ever so mildly sad. Our days of constant semi-aerial unobstructed views are coming to an end.

Time to set the clock on DHS going vertical!

D

Deleted member 107043

I think the scale is overemphasized by bringing down the river and berm for the sake of being able to see into the land.

Looks like we'll soon have a good sense of how tall the rock work might be sense construction is now officially vertical!

Macro

How far out from opening were these taken?
Those are both May 28, 2011 so that's almost exactly 1 year before it opened. Star Wars Land (Experience?) has got a long ways to go yet.

Long time no see @Macro! I followed your photo reports on the reconstruction of DCA over at Miceage for what...5+ years?
That's back when it was fun doing construction pictures. I took the World of Color and Cars Land pictures from Mickey's Terror Wheel and the other ones were from the Hyperion after watching the Aladdin show.

Now they take them from Mickey and Friends. Too easy and not enough fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom