News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

TP2000

Thank you. An over reliance on screens is what I was worried about. Sounds like it will be in my top ten, not top 3. I was kind of hoping it was a trackless, Star Wars version of Shanghai's Pirates.

Shanghai's Pirates has a massive amount of screens, from mid-size to humongous. But it works.

In other news, I was just looking at the status of construction on the DHS version of Star Wars Land. There is quite obviously a big gap in the timeline between the two coasts, with Anaheim at least six months ahead even after this winter's heavy rains. I wonder how they are going to handle that from a marketing perspective???

SSG

Shanghai's Pirates has a massive amount of screens, from mid-size to humongous. But it works.

In other news, I was just looking at the status of construction on the DHS version of Star Wars Land. There is quite obviously a big gap in the timeline between the two coasts, with Anaheim at least six months ahead even after this winter's heavy rains. I wonder how they are going to handle that from a marketing perspective???

"This is not the Star Wars Land you are looking for."

tumblr_l33pleritw1qzwi58o1_500.gif

Last edited:

mickEblu

Right, but Pirates is on another level In the way that the screens integrate seamlessly with the huge sets. Not to say the integration won't be there for Alcatraz and Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions but based off @marni1971 's response and my imagination on how this would work with trackless vehicles it sounds more like multiple mini screens.

Yeah the gap is considerable. I guess they try to put a positive spin on it. They get to debut two huge immersive lands twice!

BrianLo

Original Poster
I think it'll be again personal preference.

Sorry, I should have rephrased my question and not blabbed so much. I was indirectly just trying to see if you could give a ballpark ride time. Was trying to be coy so you could maybe hint without getting yourself in trouble.

More Mystic Manor or PotC in terms of length.

Unless you ARE being outrageously coy and ride time does come down to personal preference? Like MiceAge suggested.

Earl Sweatpants

Sorry, I should have rephrased my question and not blabbed so much. I was indirectly just trying to see if you could give a ballpark ride time. Was trying to be coy so you could maybe hint without getting yourself in trouble.

More Mystic Manor or PotC in terms of length.

Unless you ARE being outrageously coy and ride time does come down to personal preference? Like MiceAge suggested.
Wait...so we're suggesting that the length of the ride is up to us as the riders? Does that have to do with the mechanics of getting on and off of vehicles (that's still a thing right?)?

BrianLo

Original Poster
Wait...so we're suggesting that the length of the ride is up to us as the riders? Does that have to do with the mechanics of getting on and off of vehicles (that's still a thing right?)?

I actually am far more on the doubting Thomas side of that rumour. It's never really been supported by a second person here.

But yes, Martin isn't dumb. I just figured he misinterpreted my question initially. But that's the only way 'personal preference' would change ride time.

Earl Sweatpants

I actually am far more on the doubting Thomas side of that rumour. It's never really been supported by a second person here.

But yes, Martin isn't dumb. I just figured he misinterpreted my question initially. But that's the only way 'personal preference' would change ride time.
I'm slightly doubtful of that factor too, because I can only foresee problems arising from "stragglers" and people trying to hide out somewhere.

However...I would LOVE a ride where you get on at one point, travel to another location and can get out and explore at your convenience before taking whatever next available vehicle comes through. Imagine Pirates if it docked you after the cannonball scene and you could fully explore the town square. And then you can re-board right before the jail scene.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Right, but Pirates is on another level In the way that the screens integrate seamlessly with the huge sets. Not to say the integration won't be there for Alcatraz and Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions but based off @marni1971 's response and my imagination on how this would work with trackless vehicles it sounds more like multiple mini screens.

Yeah the gap is considerable. I guess they try to put a positive spin on it. They get to debut two huge immersive lands twice!

He's been around the block more than a few times. No matter how good something does or does not sound on paper, guaranteeing a top three ride is promising the sun and moon.

The last time I full on bought into expectations we got Gringotts.

But there is strong potential with this one. I think that's the only expectation you should have and hope it lives up to some potential.

PoTC has partially changed my viewpoint about screens being an even more effective medium in the right situations than AA's. Gringott's disillusioned me.

mickEblu

He's been around the block more than a few times. No matter how good something does or does not sound on paper, guaranteeing a top three ride is promising the sun and moon.

The last time I full on bought into expectations we got Gringotts.

But there is strong potential with this one. I think that's the only expectation you should have and hope it lives up to some potential.

PoTC has partially changed my viewpoint about screens being an even more effective medium in the right situations than AA's. Gringott's disillusioned me.

Ya to be honest I knew it was pushing it with Top 3. But I feel like with the budget, expectations, and the Star Wars IP, one of these (and all signs point to Alcatraz) have to be at least top 3. And if we don't want to put a number on it then how about this - It has to at least match or surpass the pandemonium that Indy created in 95 but obviously with 2019 expectations.

I agree with you on Shanghai's POTC. Completely changed my mind about what can be done with screens... and that's just from watching it on YouTube. I'd love to go to Shanghai, even if just to ride POTC, Tron, and their version of Pan. I still want to see Pans ride system pushed further and as part of a full on E ticket... which is why I have been championing an Aladdin E ticket for a while.

Last edited:

Earl Sweatpants

Ya to be honest I knew it was pushing it with Top 3. But I feel like with the budget, expectations, and the Star Wars IP, one of these (and all signs point to Alcatraz) have to be at least top 3. And if we don't want to put a number on it then how about this - It has to at least match or surpass the pandemonium that Indy created in 95 but obviously with 2019 expectations.

I agree with you on Shangahis POTC. Completely changed my mind about what can be done with screens.
For me, SWL has to be a 100% home run, or else it failed. It put itself in this position mind you, but that's the way it is. It can't just be "good" or even "awesome". It essentially has to re-define what a themed experience can or should be. I'm sure many people (some even on here) are just hoping the opposite happens so they can all point and laugh at Iger and his failed experiment.

The stakes are maybe at their peak here, and I'm just really interested to see how it all plays out.

mickEblu

For me, SWL has to be a 100% home run, or else it failed. It put itself in this position mind you, but that's the way it is. It can't just be "good" or even "awesome". It essentially has to re-define what a themed experience can or should be. I'm sure many people (some even on here) are just hoping the opposite happens so they can all point and laugh at Iger and his failed experiment.

The stakes are maybe at their peak here, and I'm just really interested to see how it all plays out.

Exactly. I will say, I'm ok with one of the attractions being more of a "standard" E ticket but one has to blow us away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom