News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Earl Sweatpants

Hopefully this gives you some bearings Martin.
Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 9.54.14 AM.png

Practical Pig

If this is part of Alcatraz (I can't get my bearings) it will be part of the queue.

I find all these telephoto shots with their spacial compression illusion disorienting. Here's an aerial shot from last September with the Alcatraz basement shaded in purple. The new circular structure is connected to the westward end of it:

SWL-Aerial-9:16.jpg

And here is the same image with an overlay of the Mice Chat Map. The alignment isn't perfect, but I used the curve of Disneyland drive, the Fantasyland Theater, and Casey Jr. to position it, and it's pretty close.

SWL-Overlay.jpg

Last edited:

mickEblu

@marni1971 from what you have heard, do you think Alcatraz will be one of the top 3 attractions worldwide?

EDIT: also do you know if the ride vehicle is going to have the capability to speed up considerably to add some thrill or will it be a somewhat slow, meandering pace?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 from what you have heard, do you think Alcatraz will be one of the top 3 attractions worldwide?
That's subjective and down to personal preference. Compared to Horizons and JII I feel the ride itself is a little too short. But that's just me. The dwell time in front of the screens will play a big part of overall run time. As will the transition times between floors.

Last edited:

britain

That's subjective and down to personal preference. Compared to Horizons and JII I feel the ride itself is a little too short. But that's just me. The dwell time in front of the screens will play a big part of overall run time. As will the transition times between floors.

Thanks! I don't know if we'll ever again see attractions like those from the Epcot days of yore.

Can you confirm this will require 3D glasses like Spider-Man?

Phroobar

Thanks! I don't know if we'll ever again see attractions like those from the Epcot days of yore.

Can you confirm this will require 3D glasses like Spider-Man?
Why does everything require 3D glasses? All it does it makes the ride blurry, dark and limits your field of view. I wish they would do a better job of cleaning them. Last time, I was on Potter and my glasses had a large black curry hair on it. It wasn't mine!

britain

Why does everything require 3D glasses? All it does it makes the ride blurry, dark and limits your field of view. I wish they would do a better job of cleaning them. Last time, I was on Potter and my glasses had a large black curry hair on it. It wasn't mine!

The new pirates in Shanghai doesn't and that seems great (granted, that's from what I can tell through monocular youtube). But I think that might've just been a practical choice due to close proximity to water. Don't want to keep fishing those glasses out of the troughs!

But I agree, it sure would be good if glasses weren't required. How are we doing on glassesless 3-D so far?

mickEblu

Thank you. An over reliance on screens is what I was worried about. Sounds like it will be in my top ten, not top 3. I was kind of hoping it was a trackless, Star Wars version of Shanghai's Pirates. The transitions between floors should be interesting.

mickEblu

They did? That's fantastic! The last time I was there was late September. That 3D really hampered the ride experience. However in Transformers it was great. That place should just give you 3D glasses at the park gates.

I was there in August and rode FJ for the first time. 3D was TERRIBLE! Horribly dark and blurry. I just went back last week on a weekday at 3pm to try it out sans the glasses and it was 100x better. It's pretty crazy that FJ in Hollywood is pretty much a walk on on off season week days. A big Potter fan could go nuts.

BrianLo

Original Poster

In my mind SDL's PoTC sounds like a good comparable in terms of scenery, scope, screen and ride length break down. Would you say that's accurate? Or is it more of a five minute ride?

The new pirates in Shanghai doesn't and that seems great (granted, that's from what I can tell through monocular youtube).

Yes, WDI at their best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom