Star Tours II

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ah, ok. Still, where is Disney's R&D department when it comes time for new innoventions for rides and technology?
Depends on what budget and direction they are given. They developed 3 generations of the EMV - then Spiderman came along and took the title from them. They developed the AGV - then Eisner scrapped it in favour of a straight VVC. They proposed a twin inverted coaster through a castle with a huge AA dragon. Universal opened Duelling Dragons. They built a mountain where the key figure in all the publicity has been AWOL for 18 months. Etc. etc, etc....

Lee

Adventurer
Ah, ok. Still, where is Disney's R&D department when it comes time for new innoventions for rides and technology?
Best thing out of WDI R&D lately, in my opinion, is the interactive 3-D at Mania. Very nice tech.
Star Tours 2, should be pretty cool, too.

Slowjack

In an interview in Orlando Attractions Mag, one of the lead creative guys for Universal was talking about the future of attractions and he said he thought 3-D without glasses was the future. Or part of it, anyway.

Don't know how in the world it would work... But it was interesting to read, none the less.
That's true. It's not possible to have 3D that works like current 3D films without the glasses, but that's not the same as saying that you couldn't have 3D at all without the glasses. One solution would be to have physically separate projection layers. If you imagine the old multiplane camera rig, for example, if you were to put your head where the camera was, you would have a 3D view of the scene. The problem is that you have to build a physical space as deep as the maximum depth you want to project. Perhaps something could be done with lenses to multiply the apparent depth. Hard to imagine you could put something this elaborate on a Star Tours pod, though.

EpcotServo

I feel like I'm the only one NOT looking forward to Star Tours 2.

It'll be based on crummy NEW Star Wars stuff, and it'll all be CGI.

No more classic Star Wars storyline, theming, or vintage handmade ILM wonderfulness.
:(

SirGoofy

No more classic Star Wars storyline, theming, or vintage handmade ILM wonderfulness.

If it's based off of the new trilogy, I highly doubt it'll be as well liked.

TalkingHead

No, you're not the only one. If 2.0 is based on the prequels, my interest in the project will drop significantly.

Maybe they'll have Jake Lloyd do the safety video. It'd be nice of Lucas to throw a little work his way.

MousDad

Somebody, I think 74, already said they had info that it was a story line that incorporated elements from all 6 episodes, or something to that effect.

SirGoofy

Somebody, I think 74, already said they had info that it was a story line that incorporated elements from all 6 episodes, or something to that effect.

Can't really see how they're gonna pull that off. But hey, as long as it doesn't center on the prequels I'm happy.

Rob562

Well, Star Tours is currently placed post-Episode VI in the SW timeline. I guess they could conceivably place a new version somewhere between Episodes III and IV and still have it work...

-Rob

imagineer boy

If it's based off of the new trilogy, I highly doubt it'll be as well liked.

It'll probably have elements from both trilogies like mentioning characters and locations from the prequals (like having advertisements for vacations in Naboo, Corescant, etc.) while taking place after the old trilogy and having plenty of elements from those as well.

Dayma

Who cares what episode the ride is based on. Star Tours itself is based in the Star Wars universe at a specific time. If they place it in Episode II or III it's not like it's going to have a non-Star Wars feel or anything. Jar Jar isn't going to be piloting the ride ........ :hammer:

SirGoofy

Who cares what episode the ride is based on. Star Tours itself is based in the Star Wars universe at a specific time. If they place it in Episode II or III it's not like it's going to have a non-Star Wars feel or anything. Jar Jar isn't going to be piloting the ride ........ :hammer:

I don't know, have you seen the prequals? THEY kinda had a non-Star Wars feel.

Dayma

I beg to differ. I thought they definitely had the Star Wars feel, especially in Revenge of the Sith. :)

That's kinda my point. It's the Star Wars universe which plays heavily into the ride not some of the characters or overall story line. Star Destroyers had a Star Wars feel to me in EP III.

SirGoofy

I beg to differ. I thought they definitely had the Star Wars feel, especially in Revenge of the Sith. :)

Sorry, the prequels took themselves way to seriously, and tried to be Lord of the Rings in space. They were full of a whiny protagonist, who was supposed to be "the most powerful jedi ever," who instead acted like a spoiled brat. There was no sense of the great adventure that the first three captured so well.

The only good in them was the lightsaber battles.

imagineer boy

That's kinda my point. It's the Star Wars universe which plays heavily into the ride not some of the characters or overall story line. Star Destroyers had a Star Wars feel to me in EP III.

Exactly. Just have it take place in the Star Wars universe rather than itegrate it in the movie story lines and such.

And I like the prequals... :lookaroun

EpcotServo

The feel of the prequels is MUCH different to the feel of the original three.

Even worse would be if they based it on this "Clone Wars" TV Sham.

EPCOT Explorer

I agree...It will loose the classic charm to it. Hopefully, they just *plus* it a bit.

Add new sequences, new effects and such.:eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom