SPOILERS: Obi-Wan Kenobi Disney+ Series

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
An angsty tortured soul isnt my idea of entertainment, maybe that's why I didnt think much of buffoon night (aka moon knight).

Jacob Marley

This is what I don’t understand… do people not want character development?

How boring it would be if Obi was just his normal self. We as the audience should feel frustrated, that’s the point. He’s frustrated. Everyone is frustrated. The Jedi have been targeted, killed. Feeling defeated and small is the point.

Let Obi work through it. He will certainly be back to his fighting self by the end of this.
Very well said. Many people didn't like Rey's character, and understandably so, due to her seeming so flawless from the start. She bested Kylo upon their first duel, she bested Luke despite his years of experience, and when she finally meets final boss Palpatine in the final film, the payoff of her defeating him didn't seem as rewarding had she been on more of a hero's journey and worked her way up the ladder of skill. All imo, of course.

Now we have Obi-Wan, who seems to be going on the hero's journey, struggling and rebuilding to a (hopefully) more rewarding ending when he climbs from the dust to the true Jedi he is. Yet people ranking the series low on RT aren't waiting until the last episode and the payoff.

Robbiem

Well they’ve been setting that up for 23/17 years…so at some point you’d think they pull the trigger on that…

I mean…they can’t leave the emperor dead…but this is too far??
Qui Gon does return to Yoda near the end of the clone wars but only as a voice and some sparkley lights. It’s explained that he cant be a force ghost because he didn’t complete his training (something which annoyed be with
leia in ep 9). Liam Neeson was the voice as well

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Qui Gon does return to Yoda near the end of the clone wars but only as a voice and some sparkley lights. It’s explained that he cant be a force ghost because he didn’t complete his training (something which annoyed be with
…I don’t think that’s gonna hold as a “payoff”

Jedijax719

An angsty tortured soul isnt my idea of entertainment, maybe that's why I didnt think much of buffoon night (aka moon knight).
People seem fine and good with it in movie form because it is a true part of the hero's journey. It is required to reach your goals in storytelling.
Where is is ever said that Qui-Gon cannot become a full ghost? As for episode 9, I was totally hoping they would have shown Leia and Ben together as ghosts (they could have used footage from Leia's "Mary Poppins" scene from TLJ). But that's neither here nor there. I think people get technicalities and storytelling mixed up.

Robbiem

Where is is ever said that Qui-Gon cannot become a full ghost?
The clone wars established Qui gon cant come back as a full ghost The yoda arc at the end of season six is well worth watching if you haven’t seen it

(extract from wookipedia explaining https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Qui-Gon_Jinn/Legends#Beyond_death ):

”However, death was not the end of Qui-Gon Jinn. Having learned to maintain his identity after death from the Force priestesses, Jinn became one with the Force. Throughout the following years, he attempted to communicate with his fellow Jedi, however as his training was incomplete, he could not fully manifest himself as a spirit and could only establish verbal contact through the Force”.

For the record I‘m not a die hard purest who will rant if Liam does do a force ghost cameo but it does contradict what went before, although that happens a lot in star wars 😀✌️

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The clone wars established Qui gon cant come back as a full ghost The yoda arc at the end of season six is well worth watching if you haven’t seen it

(extract from wookipedia explaining https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Qui-Gon_Jinn/Legends#Beyond_death ):

”However, death was not the end of Qui-Gon Jinn. Having learned to maintain his identity after death from the Force priestesses, Jinn became one with the Force. Throughout the following years, he attempted to communicate with his fellow Jedi, however as his training was incomplete, he could not fully manifest himself as a spirit and could only establish verbal contact through the Force”.

For the record I‘m not a die hard purest who will rant if Liam does do a force ghost cameo but it does contradict what went before, although that happens a lot in star wars 😀✌️
I’ll have to go back and watch that…

…but it’s kinda stupid to hold to that.

It reminds me of just how they’ve bumbled the franchise though if we’re honest…nearly all their material is dependent on Dave filoni’s cartoon shows.

Joesixtoe

I will say, as I sit and type this, I have one question I really am leaning into now. Kenobi was broken, buried his light saber in the desert, and stopped practicing the force for 10 years. How in the world was he planning on training Luke like he mentioned in the first episode to Owen then?
I thought the same, as well as how is he suppose to watch over and protect Luke if he isn't actively doing his jedi thing?

Joesixtoe

Very well said. Many people didn't like Rey's character, and understandably so, due to her seeming so flawless from the start. She bested Kylo upon their first duel, she bested Luke despite his years of experience
Just super real quick, not trying to start anything, but Rey did not best Luke. Luke toyed with her and then she got the light saber. Besides that I agree with your statement.

Wendy Pleakley

I thought the same, as well as how is he suppose to watch over and protect Luke if he isn't actively doing his jedi thing?

Luke is merely the child of a couple of farmers, on a backwater planet the Empire has no interest in. Presumably that's a big part of why Luke is there, to keep him hidden out of the way.

There's no reason Luke would be facing dangers that would require Obi-Wan to be constantly coming to his rescue, swinging his light sabre and using the force.

As we know, Jedi can choose to cut themselves off from the force and restore that connection later. Obi-Wan is simply biding his time, and keeping himself hidden from detection as well.

Joesixtoe

Luke is merely the child of a couple of farmers, on a backwater planet the Empire has no interest in. Presumably that's a big part of why Luke is there, to keep him hidden out of the way.

There's no reason Luke would be facing dangers that would require Obi-Wan to be constantly coming to his rescue, swinging his light sabre and using the force.

As we know, Jedi can choose to cut themselves off from the force and restore that connection later. Obi-Wan is simply biding his time, and keeping himself hidden from detection as well.
I agree that's the idea, but I think it's a flawed one. For one to bring him to Anakins brothers house/slash home planet is not the brightest idea. So even with Yoda and Kenobi thinking Anakin is dead, would not Kenobi believe the Emperor could possibly find out Vader had a son and that his home world might be a good place to start looking? Thus Kenobi might want to atleast stay in some fighting shape? I mean leaks do happen.

Wendy Pleakley

I agree that's the idea, but I think it's a flawed one. For one to bring him to Anakins brothers house/slash home planet is not the brightest idea. So even with Yoda and Kenobi thinking Anakin is dead, would not Kenobi believe the Emperor could possibly find out Vader had a son and that his home world might be a good place to start looking? Thus Kenobi might want to atleast stay in some fighting shape? I mean leaks do happen.

I always thought it was silly that Luke would be hidden with family and not even under an assumed name. At the very least he'd be called Luke Lars and not even be told about his real father.

However, they also thought Anakin was dead so didn't see it as a huge risk. The Emperor thought the kids died with Padme.

Honestly, it's not worth over thinking about. There have been several bits of dialogues and even changes to dialogue in the movies to try and make it all make sense. "What I told you was true, from a certain point of view" as an example, to retroactively justify what Obi-Wan said as Lucas developed the story and had new ideas of what the backstory is, and changing the Emperor's dialogue in Empire.

The whole who knew what and why Luke ended up where he did requires a bit of suspension of belief and logic.

Screamface

It's hard to really put into worlds how the show, while being ok, just kind of is meh to me. I was so excited to watch the first episode. Yet, I'm just going to watch the next one because there's a new episode. Not because I am excited.

I think one thing that irks me with the lack of imagination, so it's hard to have high hopes at this stage. It seems so simple to go, "he's protecting Luke at this time, so let's make it be him with Leia." It makes sense Luke is living a fairly normal life. So not having some big threat and big adventure with him is fine.

It just seems lame. Especially the bait and switch of advertising Luke. When it's really about Leia. I don't know why, I just find it cringe. Are we meant to go, "It's Leia" and start clapping?

I do know there's a problem in the fandom going, "bait and switch." Yet it is actually what they do.

It would be more interesting to see a child Leia in the context of the life she's living, with her parents and their anti-Imperial efforts. Instead of another, "character protects child on the run." Explore what life was like under the Empire for the princess. How the rebels formed, what things they were doing to subvert the empire long before the Rebel Alliance got into full swing. Maybe uniting different groups into the Alliance.

What I'd rather the show be about, I don't know. Mando and Boba would have made a straight-up Western on Tatooine story seem redundant. There'd be endless reasons for him to go off-world, on a mission, come across Vader and inquisitors. Why not have something with the crime syndicates?

Instead, they had to go back to adult protecting child. Except the twist seems to be he's not all that good at it. I will see how the show pans out, but I am pretty sure it will ultimately feel like a plot that will have detracted from the Vader/Obi-Wan plot. That'd be a more interesting main plot. I doubt they'll balance them well.

With the laziness, I am half expecting Baby Yoda to show up. Maybe Reeva is secretly protecting him! I actually was surprised we didn't see Grogu in the opening. I'm surprised they resisted that urge. I assume they asked and Favreau said no. Although we're obviously going to return to that flashback. Who knows! Maybe we'll see how the character got brain damaged.

It is funny making dumb predictions, thinking they could happen but hoping making them means they won't. "They can't be that lame." Seeing the trailer and going, "well she's really a good guy." "They'll be dumb enough to put Grogu in this." "It'll be like Boba Fett and forget it's about Obi-Wan for an episode. Maybe a full episode without him. Jast Ledi him like they did with Leia and had her unconscious." "People will know about the kids."

I'm really curious as to where Reeva goes. I think there's some motivation that'll be a twist. I was thinking it was anti-Vader. Yet she was pretty antagonistic towards Obi-Wan. As opposed to, "hey help me take down Vader." I then thought, maybe she can't get in person with Vader, but then she was in person with him. So I guess the show isn't as predictable as I thought. Maybe it's Palpatine she's after.

Joesixtoe

I always thought it was silly that Luke would be hidden with family and not even under an assumed name. At the very least he'd be called Luke Lars and not even be told about his real father.

However, they also thought Anakin was dead so didn't see it as a huge risk. The Emperor thought the kids died with Padme.

Honestly, it's not worth over thinking about. There have been several bits of dialogues and even changes to dialogue in the movies to try and make it all make sense. "What I told you was true, from a certain point of view" as an example, to retroactively justify what Obi-Wan said as Lucas developed the story and had new ideas of what the backstory is, and changing the Emperor's dialogue in Empire.

The whole who knew what and why Luke ended up where he did requires a bit of suspension of belief and logic.
I agree atleast do the Luke Lars thing. It does take some suspension of belief. One of those being Kenobi in 10 years never knew Vader existed? I believe in the Vader comics, and the Tarkin book that Vader is very well known. I think it's safe to assume Kenobi would know and that he wouldn't cut himself off from his Jedi abilities incase Vader would show up to his brothers door and find out he has a son. It is what it is, I'm just gonna roll with it.

Joesixtoe

It's hard to really put into worlds how the show, while being ok, just kind of is meh to me. I was so excited to watch the first episode. Yet, I'm just going to watch the next one because there's a new episode. Not because I am excited.

I think one thing that irks me with the lack of imagination, so it's hard to have high hopes at this stage. It seems so simple to go, "he's protecting Luke at this time, so let's make it be him with Leia." It makes sense Luke is living a fairly normal life. So not having some big threat and big adventure with him is fine.

It just seems lame. Especially the bait and switch of advertising Luke. When it's really about Leia. I don't know why, I just find it cringe. Are we meant to go, "It's Leia" and start clapping?

I do know there's a problem in the fandom going, "bait and switch." Yet it is actually what they do.

It would be more interesting to see a child Leia in the context of the life she's living, with her parents and their anti-Imperial efforts. Instead of another, "character protects child on the run." Explore what life was like under the Empire for the princess. How the rebels formed, what things they were doing to subvert the empire long before the Rebel Alliance got into full swing. Maybe uniting different groups into the Alliance.

What I'd rather the show be about, I don't know. Mando and Boba would have made a straight-up Western on Tatooine story seem redundant. There'd be endless reasons for him to go off-world, on a mission, come across Vader and inquisitors. Why not have something with the crime syndicates?

Instead, they had to go back to adult protecting child. Except the twist seems to be he's not all that good at it. I will see how the show pans out, but I am pretty sure it will ultimately feel like a plot that will have detracted from the Vader/Obi-Wan plot. That'd be a more interesting main plot. I doubt they'll balance them well.

With the laziness, I am half expecting Baby Yoda to show up. Maybe Reeva is secretly protecting him! I actually was surprised we didn't see Grogu in the opening. I'm surprised they resisted that urge. I assume they asked and Favreau said no. Although we're obviously going to return to that flashback. Who knows! Maybe we'll see how the character got brain damaged.

It is funny making dumb predictions, thinking they could happen but hoping making them means they won't. "They can't be that lame." Seeing the trailer and going, "well she's really a good guy." "They'll be dumb enough to put Grogu in this." "It'll be like Boba Fett and forget it's about Obi-Wan for an episode. Maybe a full episode without him. Jast Ledi him like they did with Leia and had her unconscious." "People will know about the kids."

I'm really curious as to where Reeva goes. I think there's some motivation that'll be a twist. I was thinking it was anti-Vader. Yet she was pretty antagonistic towards Obi-Wan. As opposed to, "hey help me take down Vader." I then thought, maybe she can't get in person with Vader, but then she was in person with him. So I guess the show isn't as predictable as I thought. Maybe it's Palpatine she's after.
What Reeva wants is an interesting subplot that I am enjoying. She's tough, strong willed and willing to sacrifice a lot to get whatever it truly is she wants.

Robbiem

This week’s episode was fun but a bit of a filler. Lots of running around and posturing but it didn’t advance the story much. I think you can see where this was a movie that’s been expanded out.

I think Ewan is great as the older Jedi and little Leia is growing on me. I‘m a bit disappointed that Hayden hasn't had more screen time as it looks like he was only brought back for headlines. Hopefully he’ll get more in the last few episodes- I wonder if Ashoka or Quinlan Vos will turn up next week as I think there will be another reveal like Cad Bane in Boba Fett

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom