SPOILERS: Obi-Wan Kenobi Disney+ Series

LSLS

I don’t know what’s “established” at that point…other than the standard is you have to hone them to be in control/use them…

So that would be consistent with 10 years of not using them and causing a midlife crisis - sorta.

But back to the mistake here…is that they let one yutz do the “anyone can use the force” to try and rewrite…and predictably now it has to be 180’ed…

And this is exactly why I balked. I didn’t go fanboy on Twitter and yell about the fat girl or all the other nonsense…that was stupidity…trying to be “hip racist” which king clown let out of the box…

But the backstory was what they pooched…

And here we are. I bet a lot that didn’t see it that way in 12/2017 are starting to see why it was a bad idea now?

That's true, I didn't think about how random people can randomly use it with ease in the new trilogy. I'm still holding out hope for this to all come together. But I don't know, I'm questioning how attached Filoni is to this. I mean, I know he had some input, but it's strange to me he has 0 producer credits or anything like that with this series. Usually they hand out producing credits like candy, I'm not sure why he's not on it at all here.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Vader could be knowing about the kids, hoping OB1 trains Luke or Leia and Vader then turns them so he can defeat the Emperor. Could answer as to why the Emperor knew of Luke being the son of Skywalker in ESB and not Vader. Maybe Vader was playing dumb, trying to outsmart him?
Vader trying to outsmart the emperor is pretty much the entire plot of ESB and Jedi…you just weren’t really told outright why?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's true, I didn't think about how random people can randomly use it with ease in the new trilogy. I'm still holding out hope for this to all come together. But I don't know, I'm questioning how attached Filoni is to this. I mean, I know he had some input, but it's strange to me he has 0 producer credits or anything like that with this series. Usually they hand out producing credits like candy, I'm not sure why he's not on it at all here.
I’m with you…

But remember the inquisitors are 100% filoni…and if Ashoka shows up…which would completely fit based on setup…that’s 100% filoni. No doubt.

I’m thinking more about the “escape” from episode 3…they focused in on Vader letting him go for quite a bit…which made it seem obvious.

Based on the timeline and the closest cannon thing we have…which is Star Wars rebels…I wonder if that’s the first “appearance” of the rebellion and that was what they were trying to highlight? Not really about obiwan as well?

Just a thought?

Elaria Sand isn’t a bad way to go there 🤪

Wendy Pleakley

It's a solid show so far. Production values are top notch.

I was a little skeptical how they would do this and not cause canon conflicts, especially when they introduced Leia, but it works so far.

I'm not quite on board with Obi-Wan being so defeatest.

One thing I find is that the lack of other Jedi in the original trilogy conflicts with the constant parade of Jedi survivors we continue to see across all media. I get that the movies want to focus on a core hero or two, but it never made a lot of sense that there'd be so many and all in hiding. Why didn't more Jedi emerge after the second Death Star was destroyed, if nothing else?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's a solid show so far. Production values are top notch.

I was a little skeptical how they would do this and not cause canon conflicts, especially when they introduced Leia, but it works so far.

I'm not quite on board with Obi-Wan being so defeatest.

One thing I find is that the lack of other Jedi in the original trilogy conflicts with the constant parade of Jedi survivors we continue to see across all media. I get that the movies want to focus on a core hero or two, but it never made a lot of sense that there'd be so many and all in hiding. Why didn't more Jedi emerge after the second Death Star was destroyed, if nothing else?
The core movies were made on a shoestring budget…Alan Ladd had to stake his job on the first and Lucas had to go to banks to personally leverage everything for empire…

So that kinda concern probably wasn’t even on the radar.

You know the wookie story, right?

And much of the EU dealt with Jedi loose ends.

Clamman73

So it has a “made for TV” look to it which I think detracts from it vs having a cinematic “film” look to it. Is that b/c what it’s filmed on or a purplosely filmed for TV content?

Joesixtoe

Ex
Vader trying to outsmart the emperor is pretty much the entire plot of ESB and Jedi…you just weren’t really told outright why?
Right.. the why I'm assuming is he just wanted to rule the galaxy. While I wouldn't mind the idea of Vader knowing about his kids and it was his plan all along, I doubt they will go this route as it will probably really get fans even more upset than a lot(somewhat me) seem to be.

Indy_UK

I really enjoyed Episode 3. Obi-wan is obviously shocked and hasn’t fought in years so wasn’t going to be dominant. I’m sure it will be different by Episode 6

Don’t forget they are using this series to show Obi-wan getting older and less nimble on his feet for Episode 4 where the fight was meh

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ex

Right.. the why I'm assuming is he just wanted to rule the galaxy. While I wouldn't mind the idea of Vader knowing about his kids and it was his plan all along, I doubt they will go this route as it will probably really get fans even more upset than a lot(somewhat me) seem to be.
See…i think if he “yields” them to kenobi/organa…it would do the opposite. It’s a stretch…but not impossible.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Random: the last two weeks at DCA, I've seen two absolutely FANTASTIC Anakin... well I can't call them bounds. The guy or guys (Gen Z aged) was/were in full costume. Last week the black cloaked/hooded turned to the Dark Side Anakin and this week the magenta & black Jedi Anakin. Maybe the same guy, maybe not. And of course people were asking to take pics with him, since he was walking around in full costume. Even saw him engaging in a saber fight with another guest. Was looking for cameras presuming he was doing it for TikTok. No CM's stopped it.

Anyway, it was interesting to me to see the continuing redemption/adoption of the character. Made me think how 25 years from now the sequel trilogy will probably be celebrated by a whole new generation, too. Maybe then they'll finally get the Batuu LARPers they planned for in GE?

And so it goes...

Jacob Marley

I noticed the RT audience score is way down in comparison to the critics. My guess is some fans are put off by the Kenobi weakness factor. I say, give it time. He is going to find his true self again before the series ends. Whether it be via help from his old master, or just remembering who he is. The Obi-Wan we know will show himself. IMO

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It didn't make the final edit, but in the movie script and/or maybe covered in the novelization or other tie-ins, Padme is made to appear to still be pregnant during her funeral procession so as to hide the fact that the kids survived.
That was definitely in episode 3…it wasn’t pronounced but it seemed that that was there on first watch.

Remember he was told he had killed her…but that is a bit disjointed because the yoda/kenobi scheme was not coordinated with the emperor

All kindsa way we can go down these rabbit holes

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Random: the last two weeks at DCA, I've seen two absolutely FANTASTIC Anakin... well I can't call them bounds. The guy or guys (Gen Z aged) was/were in full costume. Last week the black cloaked/hooded turned to the Dark Side Anakin and this week the magenta & black Jedi Anakin. Maybe the same guy, maybe not. And of course people were asking to take pics with him, since he was walking around in full costume. Even saw him engaging in a saber fight with another guest. Was looking for cameras presuming he was doing it for TikTok. No CM's stopped it.

Anyway, it was interesting to me to see the continuing redemption/adoption of the character. Made me think how 25 years from now the sequel trilogy will probably be celebrated by a whole new generation, too. Maybe then they'll finally get the Batuu LARPers they planned for in GE?

And so it goes...
Well they weren’t as good as the originals…that isn’t a controversial take…

But there is some redemption.

My theories why:
1. Technology and media weren’t where they are today. Actions figures, licensed product was closer to the the originals and did more to build new fans then. Today the collectors/online market probably keeps the aging fans more engaged.
2. There is a direct correlation between prequel “love” and Disney largely failing for 5 years+…
I know that’s not a shared by all opinion…but I’d love discuss why?
3. The stuff since the prequels - clone wars and rebels and R1 and the news series that use some that material/characters…have strengthened the appeal of those movies.

Screamface

The so-called PR of Disney was done *after* Moses went public about the racist DMs. Which was *after* the first episodes aired.

There was no conspiracy to pretend there were racist DMs before the episodes aired and then react to made-up racist comments for some sort of sympathy from viewers.

And this PR maneuver was to simply say that the SW universe has thousands of species and they stand with Moses. There was no "oh poor us!" whimpering.

Incorrect. You're making that up.

May 22nd, the show aired May 27th.
Obi-Wan Kenobi’s Moses Ingram: ‘If you’ve got talking droids and aliens but no people of colour, it doesn’t make sense’

They spun this narrative ahead of release.

Ingram says she was warned by Lucasfilm, Star Wars’s production company, to brace herself for a similar reception. “It was something that Lucasfilm actually got in front of, and said, ‘This is a thing that, unfortunately, likely will happen. But we are here to help you; you can let us know when it happens.’”

The point is, that everything in these kinds of interviews goes through the PR department.

I have now had multiple people I work with who know I like Star Wars in the office ask me what the deal with the racist fans hating a character in the new Star Wars show.

I just think it is an odd narrative to want around your TV show. Even if it occurs, why set it up and then push it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom