SPOILERS: Obi-Wan Kenobi Disney+ Series

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Reva may have come by that info in a special way: by accident, by snooping around, etc...
Possible…

Though there are two actors/characters who you have to believe show in the arc…I’d be shocked if we don’t see/hear them at this point?

And the great cackler…can’t leave him out either…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
@Screamface

I suggest you give it another watch. All of the flaws you bring up are valid…but there are some hints I didn’t pick up on first run.

The question is: do they tie them up? The problem with these 6 episode jaunts are they run out of runway and have to cop out at the end…still can’t quite get the formula just right…

I hope they don’t Sipha Dyas this one…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was thinking that the whole goal of Reva was to use Obi-Wan to destroy Vader out of revenge, knowing/thinking he was the only one who could. Doesn't seem like that any more. I really don't know Reva's whole purpose tbh.

As for Obi-Wan, it seems clear (especially with only 3 episodes left) that he will VERY soon be reunited with his old master Qui-Gon (ghost form of course) who will retrain him. Obi-Wan will confront Vader again and whoop his *** (giving new meaning to what Vader says in ANH about being the learner when they last met). Vader may even be so damaged that he has to be found and rebuilt by Palps again.
I’m with you…I think that’s where it’s heading…

But my theory (since it’s a spoiler thread) is perhaps Vader knows about the kids all along…and either let’s them go until later or can’t resist “protecting them” in a way…

They also could have Leia “shielded” as a bit of a twist in this somehow? Somebody coming in to divert the attention away?

The undertone of good in Vader has been a driving force for 39 years. If it ain’t broke? He was developed as pure evil masking greater good. So if there’s any consistency…we could see that. It wouldn’t necessarily conflict with the OT…If you think about it either. They could make it work.

There are two really well developed female heroes in Star Wars…I think they both make it into this. Bring on the tentacled badass.

Jacob Marley

Well thanks a lot, Disney. So much for continuity. :mad:

I have never seen such disregard to a character's backstory as what was shown in this week's episode for Vader. Does Disney not get Star Wars? Do they not research the characters before expanding the saga with these spinoff series? I was appalled. I was offended. How do you botch Vader, the best villain in the galaxy? Yes, the appearance was good. Yes, it was good to hear James Earl Jones back as the voice. But to have him fight Obi-Wan on that mining planet, surrounded by mounds of dirt and... SAND??? Anakin HATES sand! It's coarse and rough and irritating... and it gets everywhere! Yet here he is chasing Obi-Wan around in it like it's playtime? I think not.

Disney, do better homework before writing future SW installments.

Screamface

Wait, what? Whose PR campaign?

When actors are getting puff pieces and interviews in the lead up to the release of a show like this. It's all planned out and coordinated with the PR team.

Agreements with the publications ahead of time about what will and won't be discussed. Plus a PR person in the room or on the line during the interview. To ensure it stays on message, the right things get brought up and to veto anything they don't want to be included.

So when Moses is discussing in these interviews about Star Wars fans being racist and her being prepared to get racist attacks in the lead up to the show's release. That is an intentional narrative they wanted out there. If it wasn't intentional a PR person would veto that being included in the published interviews. It's negative to the brand and fan base to be included.

Maybe this shows why it was necessary, but it also is a signal that trolls and racists pick up on. So puts a target on her. Becomes self-fulfilling.

There was no, "Stop Asian hate" or racism discussion like this around Ming Na Wren being in Boba Fett. Or the lead for that matter.

Although as always, disclaimer, I'm a Kiwi. I know I don't get US race politics.

LSLS

I'm not sold on this series right now. I know it happens all the time, but something about reva just walking into the exact right hut, going to the right place, then knowing where that tunnel ends up before Leia can get there was just so not believable to me. Also, did I miss there were multiple paths in the tunnel where the woman helping could get out not the way that reva was blocking? I don't know, reva bores me and kind of makes me cringe (in a bad way), so im struggling through this one. I'm just not into this aa much as I expected I would.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Who's the tentacled badass?
1654163472781.jpeg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well thanks a lot, Disney. So much for continuity. :mad:

I have never seen such disregard to a character's backstory as what was shown in this week's episode for Vader. Does Disney not get Star Wars? Do they not research the characters before expanding the saga with these spinoff series? I was appalled. I was offended. How do you botch Vader, the best villain in the galaxy? Yes, the appearance was good. Yes, it was good to hear James Earl Jones back as the voice. But to have him fight Obi-Wan on that mining planet, surrounded by mounds of dirt and... SAND??? Anakin HATES sand! It's coarse and rough and irritating... and it gets everywhere! Yet here he is chasing Obi-Wan around in it like it's playtime? I think not.

Disney, do better homework before writing future SW installments.
“Prequel integrity” isn’t really a thing. A reminder: those movies were awful and caused problems for decades…they’re just not As awe full as the ones kennedy/Iger pushed out.
When actors are getting puff pieces and interviews in the lead up to the release of a show like this. It's all planned out and coordinated with the PR team.

Agreements with the publications ahead of time about what will and won't be discussed. Plus a PR person in the room or on the line during the interview. To ensure it stays on message, the right things get brought up and to veto anything they don't want to be included.

So when Moses is discussing in these interviews about Star Wars fans being racist and her being prepared to get racist attacks in the lead up to the show's release. That is an intentional narrative they wanted out there. If it wasn't intentional a PR person would veto that being included in the published interviews. It's negative to the brand and fan base to be included.

Maybe this shows why it was necessary, but it also is a signal that trolls and racists pick up on. So puts a target on her. Becomes self-fulfilling.

There was no, "Stop Asian hate" or racism discussion like this around Ming Na Wren being in Boba Fett. Or the lead for that matter.

Although as always, disclaimer, I'm a Kiwi. I know I don't get US race politics.
Might be a bridge too far here

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm not sold on this series right now. I know it happens all the time, but something about reva just walking into the exact right hut, going to the right place, then knowing where that tunnel ends up before Leia can get there was just so not believable to me. Also, did I miss there were multiple paths in the tunnel where the woman helping could get out not the way that reva was blocking? I don't know, reva bores me and kind of makes me cringe (in a bad way), so im struggling through this one. I'm just not into this aa much as I expected I would.
The plot/action sequences are dumbed down…same as the bounty Hunter shows. It’s like they’re trying to cater to kids when there’s zero reason at this point to do so?

But BOD…reva is a Jedi/washout/turncoat…so that’s not implausible

The problem is neither kenobi nor Vader seem to be able to use their powers much. Like it’s laughable they can’t find each other easily enough 10 feet away…

I don’t get why powerful space wizards are no longer acceptable? Why it has to be bumbling/dumbed down? The force as it was defined in the OT was fine…particularly with yoda in ESB and Palpatine in ROJ.

I don’t understand why they have to dilute it or make it an “Everyman” thing?

It’s like their version of “YOU are the magic!”

It wasn’t broke…fix something else 😡

LSLS

So, my feeling right now, Reva takes Leia. Leia is going to start to turn her heart and she's going to go good, then the grand inquisitor returns at the end and kills her as she sacrifices herself so obi can escape. I just have a feeling this is going to turn into much more of an arc for Reva than anything else.

One thing I will say with people being upset at how obi acts. I may not remember the originals very well. But isn't the end result of this going to have to be he's living in a cave simply watching over Luke? Essentially, won't we need he need to be in the same place he's been in the start of the show? I don't think you can have him as the all powerful unstoppable force just to have him go hide away again. To me it makes sense that he's not as sharp and hard a but more reluctant to get involved in things (though I didn't hate that premise for Luke either, which I'm sure will get me hated by the star wars die hards).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So, my feeling right now, Reva takes Leia. Leia is going to start to turn her heart and she's going to go good, then the grand inquisitor returns at the end and kills her as she sacrifices herself so obi can escape. I just have a feeling this is going to turn into much more of an arc for Reva than anything else.

One thing I will say with people being upset at how obi acts. I may not remember the originals very well. But isn't the end result of this going to have to be he's living in a cave simply watching over Luke? Essentially, won't we need he need to be in the same place he's been in the start of the show? I don't think you can have him as the all powerful unstoppable force just to have him go hide away again. To me it makes sense that he's not as sharp and hard a but more reluctant to get involved in things (though I didn't hate that premise for Luke either, which I'm sure will get me hated by the star wars die hards).
I hope not…

…cause nobody gives a crap about reva.

But it would be more of the same from Disney:

“Don't like That character…like this one!”
“But I wasn’t looking for a new character”
- most of the world with a dollar in their pocket.

As far as living in a hut watching a boy…yes…that was it. It’s what they did with the first episode and where he is all but guaranteed to end back up…

But there was no indication he was weak…just old and wise. Can you think of another character that fit that became one of the most iconic in movie history?

“Search your feelings…should you…”

LSLS

I hope not…

…cause nobody gives a crap about reva.

But it would be more of the same from Disney:

“Don't like That character…like this one!”
“But I wasn’t looking for a new character”
- most of the world with a dollar in their pocket.

As far as living in a hut watching a boy…yes…that was it. It’s what they did with the first episode and where he is all but guaranteed to end back up…

But there was no indication he was weak…just old and wise. Can you think of another character that fit that became one of the most iconic in movie history?

“Search your feelings…should you…”

Eh, true, but I thought it had been established that if you don't use your powers they fade with time? If so, I could completely understand why he was broken and wasn't using the force so it diminished.

I agree though, completely hope I'm wrong. I'm definitely in that group of not caring for her. I don't hate her cause she's a bad guy, I just don't like the character. Like I said above, she bores me. Nothing against the actress, I just don't like how she's set up in the series. But, there's just something about it with the toys and such everywhere, I could just see that being the arc here. Personally, I'd like to see obi take her out to escape. BUT, if you do that, you need to establish him regaining his power, and then establish why after doing so and defeating her, he still ran and hid away as opposed to joining the fight against the empire. Definitely doable (at least the latter), but I'm not sure. 3 episodes left to find out.

spacemt354

Chili's
My problem with this show so far is that this story of Obi-Wan and Darth Vader 10 years after Revenge of the Sith should have been a film on the big screen.

I don't fault any of the actors/actresses. They're doing their best with what's provided. I just feel this story is being drawn out over 6 episodes when it would have been more focused as a 2 hr 20 min film.

Their confrontation and subsequent duel felt very budgeted. Dim lighting, up close shaky cam mixed with long distance frames, and no strong musical score. And Vader's suit is fire repellant, other than needing Obi-Wan to escape to have 3 more episodes, I found it very odd that Vader just stood there as they took Obi-Wan away. "He's toying with him" - sure, but he could have toyed with him as his prisoner too.

At the same time I feel like Reva is not a bad character, just not well developed. She's a young Anakin - impulsive, disobeys authority, etc and she appears to be a padawan from Order 66. That's interesting, but that's also a lot of development to insert into someone else's show and the writing ends up losing focus.

Again this could have been a Kenobi film along with a Disney+ Inquisitors show starring Reva

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
So when Moses is discussing in these interviews about Star Wars fans being racist and her being prepared to get racist attacks in the lead up to the show's release.
The so-called PR of Disney was done *after* Moses went public about the racist DMs. Which was *after* the first episodes aired.

There was no conspiracy to pretend there were racist DMs before the episodes aired and then react to made-up racist comments for some sort of sympathy from viewers.

And this PR maneuver was to simply say that the SW universe has thousands of species and they stand with Moses. There was no "oh poor us!" whimpering.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You know, this brings up an overlooked detail of how angry Obi-Wan was with Anakin during the fight on Mustafar.

Seeing as Anakin was burning to "death", had Obi-Wan had any remorse or compassion for the guy, don'tcha think he would have put him out of his misery right then and there as a mercy kill rather than allowing him to roast alive? He had no idea the Emperor was coming to save him, and he just left him there to barbeque in anguish. Doesn't seem like the Jedi way.
But then again, he was ticked at him, and he had to live so the story could happen.
It was dealt with a little more directly in the novelization.

You are correct that it was not the "Jedi way". Obi-Wan thought that Anakin did not deserve a quick and merciful death after slaughtering dozens of men, women, and children. After that, the Jedi code went out the window. He wanted him to suffer until his last breath.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Eh, true, but I thought it had been established that if you don't use your powers they fade with time? If so, I could completely understand why he was broken and wasn't using the force so it diminished.

I agree though, completely hope I'm wrong. I'm definitely in that group of not caring for her. I don't hate her cause she's a bad guy, I just don't like the character. Like I said above, she bores me. Nothing against the actress, I just don't like how she's set up in the series. But, there's just something about it with the toys and such everywhere, I could just see that being the arc here. Personally, I'd like to see obi take her out to escape. BUT, if you do that, you need to establish him regaining his power, and then establish why after doing so and defeating her, he still ran and hid away as opposed to joining the fight against the empire. Definitely doable (at least the latter), but I'm not sure. 3 episodes left to find out.
I don’t know what’s “established” at that point…other than the standard is you have to hone them to be in control/use them…

So that would be consistent with 10 years of not using them and causing a midlife crisis - sorta.

But back to the mistake here…is that they let one yutz do the “anyone can use the force” to try and rewrite…and predictably now it has to be 180’ed…

And this is exactly why I balked. I didn’t go fanboy on Twitter and yell about the fat girl or all the other nonsense…that was stupidity…trying to be “hip racist” which king clown let out of the box…

But the backstory was what they pooched…

And here we are. I bet a lot that didn’t see it that way in 12/2017 are starting to see why it was a bad idea now?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It was dealt with a little more directly in the novelization.

You are correct that it was not the "Jedi way". Obi-Wan thought that Anakin did not deserve a quick and merciful death after slaughtering dozens of men, women, and children. After that, the Jedi code went out the window. He wanted him to suffer until his last breath.
Problem is they did “edits” to try and take the stench off those movies from 99-05 and it got all knarled up…

Problem when George tried to serve every master while still trying to be his own.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My problem with this show so far is that this story of Obi-Wan and Darth Vader 10 years after Revenge of the Sith should have been a film on the big screen.

I don't fault any of the actors/actresses. They're doing their best with what's provided. I just feel this story is being drawn out over 6 episodes when it would have been more focused as a 2 hr 20 min film.

Their confrontation and subsequent duel felt very budgeted. Dim lighting, up close shaky cam mixed with long distance frames, and no strong musical score. And Vader's suit is fire repellant, other than needing Obi-Wan to escape to have 3 more episodes, I found it very odd that Vader just stood there as they took Obi-Wan away. "He's toying with him" - sure, but he could have toyed with him as his prisoner too.

At the same time I feel like Reva is not a bad character, just not well developed. She's a young Anakin - impulsive, disobeys authority, etc and she appears to be a padawan from Order 66. That's interesting, but that's also a lot of development to insert into someone else's show and the writing ends up losing focus.

Again this could have been a Kenobi film along with a Disney+ Inquisitors show starring Reva
They can’t make movies…LFL is awful at it. We know reasons why and what has to be done…they just aren’t addressing them.

It’s like Hollywood corporate “shell shock”…

Last week during Star Wars Con, when they got to movies they brought Harrison Ford out in a fedora…

That says it all.

Joesixtoe

I’m with you…I think that’s where it’s heading…

But my theory (since it’s a spoiler thread) is perhaps Vader knows about the kids all along…and either let’s them go until later or can’t resist “protecting them” in a way…

They also could have Leia “shielded” as a bit of a twist in this somehow? Somebody coming in to divert the attention away?

The undertone of good in Vader has been a driving force for 39 years. If it ain’t broke? He was developed as pure evil masking greater good. So if there’s any consistency…we could see that. It wouldn’t necessarily conflict with the OT…If you think about it either. They could make it work.

There are two really well developed female heroes in Star Wars…I think they both make it into this. Bring on the tentacled badass.
Vader could be knowing about the kids, hoping OB1 trains Luke or Leia and Vader then turns them so he can defeat the Emperor. Could answer as to why the Emperor knew of Luke being the son of Skywalker in ESB and not Vader. Maybe Vader was playing dumb, trying to outsmart him?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom