SPOILERS: Book of Boba Fett - Latest episodes

erasure fan1

my take is that boba fett just does NOT Have that kinda story potential. This has always been my stance since “attack of the bad movie”…that was forced and silly. Maybe he’s just a wooden mock-up bit character who filled a specific role in ESB? They even chumped him in Jedi.
I think he did have the potential, just not at this timeframe. If you had a pre-ESB Boba where he was a beast of a bounty hunter. Then you might have something. It feels like we got this show because Jon wanted to do a Boba show but they said no, because of the all but confirmed Boba movie. So he created the mando. And now that there are no more plans to use Boba, Jon was told, yea go ahead and use him, we don't care.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think he did have the potential, just not at this timeframe. If you had a pre-ESB Boba where he was a beast of a bounty hunter. Then you might have something. It feels like we got this show because Jon wanted to do a Boba show but they said no, because of the all but confirmed Boba movie. So he created the mando. And now that there are no more plans to use Boba, Jon was told, yea go ahead and use him, we don't care.
That could be…

I honestly gave up caring…truly…when they jumped the shark with the “every storm trooper is boba fett”…which they have tried to nuance over the years with the EU of “maybe/maybe not” being true.

ultimately…clones and droids are stupid. If boba was just known as a hired gun - as you said - was the best blank slate

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Don't agree.. if you lead with that, Boba's story would be about rising up to defend against a threat instead of saying here is a bounty hunter trying to trade his mercenary boots for a mobster chair... and the threats he faces as he tries to establish himself.

It's not an uprising or 'defend tatooine' story.. it's a story about Bob's struggle to establish his rule and change what life he wants. The flashbacks are there to not just tell his tales, but also character build this person we know so little about. Why does he want an image of X vs Y? The flashbacks establish that.

Who knows, at the end we may find he just walks away from it and trades again for another outlook.

The last bit about Mando and the kid is fan service and show building for the next show.. it didn't need to be in the show.. but strings people along to the next series. Consider it the 'franchise tax' due to prime other content.

But the story of him wanting the mobster chair isn't a good one. I find no reason to root for his success. In A New Hope would I have cared as much about Luke going with Ben to learn to a be a Jedi if I didn't know about the Death Star plans and Leia?

flynnibus

Premium Member
But the story of him wanting the mobster chair isn't a good one. If find no reason to root for his success. In A New Hope would I have cared as much about Luke going with Ben to learn to a be a Jedi if I didn't know about the Death Star plans and Leia?
People didn’t really know what a mobster did in the outer rim… now they do.

Jedijax719

I think the issue with the Fett story is that we have a whole lot of things happening between ROTJ and TFA that centers around the likes of Luke, Han, Leia, and now Mando and Grogu. Even Mando would have (hate to say it) have a lot LESS interest had he not become intertwined with the story of the Force and Jedi. Fett's story doesn't seem to be connected to anything relating to the overall SW universe.

In other words, what are the big stakes?

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

The show was just boring because Boba Fett is boring. He was always not a real character. People just thought he was a bad @ss due to what he wore. George hated that and that is why he killed him off like a punk in Jedi. But the expanded universe brought him back and I always took that as fan fiction. That is why when they brought him back in Mandalorian season 2 and didn't explain how he lived but all of a sudden had him do bad @ss things my eyes rolled to the back of my skull because it felt like bull fan service for a non character. Mando is soo much more interesting and actually is a fully fleshed out character with depth and even though he almost always has a helmet on the acting is sooo freaking good. You know what his emotion is at any given point through the body language and slight head tilts. Bringing Mando into this show to save it was a great idea and paying off. He is a better Boba Fett than the actual Boba Fett is.

G00fyDad

The show was just boring because Boba Fett is boring. He was always not a real character. People just thought he was a bad @ss due to what he wore. George hated that and that is why he killed him off like a punk in Jedi. But the expanded universe brought him back and I always took that as fan fiction. That is why when they brought him back in Mandalorian season 2 and didn't explain how he lived but all of a sudden had him do bad @ss things my eyes rolled to the back of my skull because it felt like bull**** fan service for a non character. Mando is soo much more interesting and actually is a fully fleshed out character with depth and even though he almost always has a helmet on the acting is sooo freaking good. You know what his emotion is at any given point through the body language and slight head tilts. Bringing Mando into this show to save it was a great idea and paying off. He is a better Boba Fett than the actual Boba Fett is.
Except that until Disney bought Lucasfilm it wasn't.

mf1972

The show was just boring because Boba Fett is boring. He was always not a real character. People just thought he was a bad @ss due to what he wore. George hated that and that is why he killed him off like a punk in Jedi. But the expanded universe brought him back and I always took that as fan fiction. That is why when they brought him back in Mandalorian season 2 and didn't explain how he lived but all of a sudden had him do bad @ss things my eyes rolled to the back of my skull because it felt like bull**** fan service for a non character. Mando is soo much more interesting and actually is a fully fleshed out character with depth and even though he almost always has a helmet on the acting is sooo freaking good. You know what his emotion is at any given point through the body language and slight head tilts. Bringing Mando into this show to save it was a great idea and paying off. He is a better Boba Fett than the actual Boba Fett is.
it was interesting seeing him get out of the pit, but up until recently, the show has been mediocre at best. if it doesn’t come back for another season, my feelings won’t be hurt.

spacemt354

Chili's
There is a good story in here however its presentation is flawed. The Bacta tank as a plot devise narratively makes little sense when Boba seemed pretty healthy in Mando Season 2.

Structurally presenting the show as a linear book from getting out of the Sarlacc pit until sitting on Jabba's throne would have been a better presentation chapter to chapter. Rather than cutting back and forth for the first 4 episodes when one story was always more interesting than the other on any given episode. Also the whole 'rule with respect' aspect seems to pin the character into a good guy narrative when being a crime lord is invariably an anti-hero position (see Walter White, Tony Soprano, etc).

Plus the challenges he is facing (ie the Pykes) haven't been well established. Going into the finale episode they are still individually nameless, indistinguishable villains, and unless you watched the Clone Wars you don't really know who they are or why they chose Tatooine.

On the flip side the last 2 episodes by themselves have been immensely entertaining (Cad Bane!) that my issues with the plot go out the window. Though I still feel bad for Boba fans they aren't getting what the show was advertised for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom