SPOILERS: Book of Boba Fett - Latest episodes

erasure fan1

I think fans would get really bored with everything themed after the originals. I get that's what you think you would like, but Disney is trying to create branches off of the main storyline and make those branches as independent as possible. They don't want one big story, but lots of smaller, interconnected stories that can take on different tones, perspectives, and storytelling approaches.
That's what I am saying. I don't want it to be just OT. Would I love it? Yea I would, but there are all types of star wars fans. But I didn't say that's what I think they should have done. If you re-read what I said, I think it should be a celebration of all star wars. Each era of star wars should be represented. So when a show like Mando and baby yoda blow up, or you want to push Boba, you can.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You're right. He didn't say, "theme it after OT." But since all of his examples were from OT, that's what I took him to mean. Didn't mean to misrepresent.

It does seem like that. But I think it's more like the way they handled Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s relationship to the MCU. If they tied them together too closely, there isn't as much creative space. Nobody knows how cannon accurate Disney's Batuu is, because they made it up. It can have its own rules and story and such without running afoul of what's already out there.
They always try to do that “immersive experience” stuff out of nowhere these days…not being tied to anything. It probably works well for all things not Star Wars.
Exactly. Had Disney just retreaded OT, they would have been accused of bringing nothing new. Where they have tried to bring something new, fans evaluate it against the beloved OT.
That was the deal. It’s Star Wars. Anyone highly paid and not knowing that is really pink slip material. That was always the measuring stick. And you know why it wasn’t mysterious? Because we had the prequel era and the same lessons had to be learned. Stupidity here is not understandable.
I expect more of this as they play up genre differences between shows/films. Disney thought fans weren't ready for Lord and Miller's, unconventional take on Star Wars, but it seems like they're working towards this. Mando obviously pays tribute to the gritty Western. Solo was an adventure/heist film. I'm wondering if Ashoka might be more The Hidden Fortress (Japanese Samurai film). Eventually, Star Wars won't be a genre, but a universe comprised of horror, drama, comedy, etc. stories.
Again…its Star Wars. People have argued for years…most heavily the last 20…that all franchises follow the same patterns.

Not Star Wars…timing and circumstance puts it in the strange place. And that’s how you keep raking it. And if everyone’s not on the ship…so be it. That’s life. Successful things don’t need to make apologies for being successful. Disney started apologizing for it and that defeats it fundamental advantage: fantasy and feelings. So we spend years talking about Rose and Benicio del Click-o.

_caleb

My take on Book of Boba Fett:

I enjoyed the show because I'm a Star Wars fan and a fan of The Mandalorian. To me, these episodes felt more like Disney's "Marvel One-Shot" shorts designed to fill in gaps, retcon for continuity, and make tie-ins more obvious.

The character works best when he's mysterious. But the series pulled back the curtain on the mystery only to show that there's really no mystery; Boba Fett is just an uninteresting, cranky old man.

I don't mind low-budget effects. The cheesy stuff (Vespas, racially-charged characterizations, Western tropes) are all straight out of Lucas's playbook, so it was fine.

CG Luke Skywalker should be used sparingly, and they should de-age Hamill's voice with new (not recycled or computer-generated) dialog. If they're going to include Han, they should commit to using Alden Ehrenreich. After all, they DID go to all that trouble teaching him to tilt his head down and arch his eyebrows to look just a little more like Harrison Ford!

Moving forward, I'd like to see Boba Fett turn villain to be the big bad in The Mandalorian. Seems like a lot more potential for good storytelling there.

Wendy Pleakley

I'm a little late to the party. Amazing how much of a TV backlog one accumulates due to a 2-week vacation, but I digress.

This show was fine overall. I don't think it was as fun as the Mandalorian, but it was entertaining.

The backstory of Boba and the Sand People for example was solid, however, the missteps really stand out.

They built up to a big "war" for which they had to recruit people, and we got a fight with, what, 10 people? In what appears to be a large city. I get that it's a TV budget but the scale was way off.

Then we get another inexplicable slow speed chase in which a modern variation of the battle droid can't shoot people moving slowly directly in front of it? The utter lack of realism took away any tension or engagement on my part.

Grogu coming back felt too soon and not super necessary. The Mandalorian told this story of the bond between characters with the payoff of Grogu leaving to be with his fellow Jedi. Then he promptly leaves and we're back where we started. Grogu's return could have been better earned with a more meaningful payoff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom