SPOILERS: Book of Boba Fett - Latest episodes

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
1640788139500.png

sedati

I liked it, but it was lacking any wow moments. As someone who grew up watching the Harryhausen Sinbad movies on tv, the ending was a delight. Loved seeing a StarTours droid as a card dealer.

Here's my nitpicks:

- Really wanted to see some Dewbacks and Rontos in Mos Espa. Though this is in the lower canyon, so maybe the beasts of burden can't be brought down there.

- We saw several others go into the pit before Fett, it would have been nice to see them instead of a random Stormtrooper (though I do like the idea that Jabba was disposing any imperial nuisances that came his way.) I'd always figured the Sarlacc died when the sail barge blew up- both from the concussion of the explosion and the amount of trash that I assumed fell into its gullet.

- Even as Jango, Morrison was always a more stocky fit for the armor. The man is in great shape for being sixty, and even better than in season two. I just would have liked a little digital slimming for the scenes taking place immediately after RotJ since his build is just so different from what would have been seen chronologically. If they do scenes further back (Empire Strikes Back) I'd prefer a better body-double match especially if it's all helmet on.

- Male Twi'leks should look different. They have pronounced growths over the brow and have human ears while the females have cones. We see two males here that don't. I'm wondering if these are sort of like eunuchs as both are seen in subservient roles.

- While I love Max Rebo, I assumed he'd be the least likely to get off the barge in time (or is this his cousins Matt Rebo?)

- Man, if I had a clamming rake I could rule Tatooine. Those water pods seemed way too easy to find, though perhaps the kid just knew of particularly choice spot. I do like the idea that the settlers use vaporators while the locals know better.

So, while I have nitpicks, you can also see how I mold my head cannon around them. This is a necessary tool for enjoying Star Wars. I'll be curious if we get any official comments on any of them.

Anyway, a good show. I was worried this might feel too much like Mandalorian, but it really has it's own feel and tone which is great. This episode didn't blow me away, but I am certainly eager for more.

AEfx

I thought it was an excellent start. The care that goes into each scene is obvious - giving us what we expect and crave in terms of that Star Wars era - but also, inventing new things that don't feel out of place. A good example is that sand monster - they could have easily used an existing Star Wars beast for some inexpensive fan service (I just assumed they were digging up a Krayt claw at first) but instead, they invented something new - that still fit in because it was done with care and restraint. (Also, so nice to see how far the FX have come for "mounting" beasts - I kept waiting for that shot of Boba climbing on its back to go bad, and it didn't!)

Like The Mandalorian, I seem to be the prime audience for this - they are giving me everything that I wanted out of the sequel trilogy but didn't get.

erasure fan1

It was an enjoyable first episode. I'm going to sound like a broken record unfortunately. It was too short. We don't really know where this is going yet. I know it's just the first episode, but there are only 6 episodes last I checked and this first one was only just a hair over 30min. That doesn't leave a lot of time. Don't get me wrong, I have faith in Favreau. I just wish Disney would give us a bit more with the D+ shows.

As far as the episode goes, I loved seeing rex. Favreau is a master at incorporating different parts of star wars, and I love it. Hopefully they move past his time with the Tuskin raiders in the early part of ep2. We know how that plays out so now just focus on Boba as the new crime lord.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Admittedly, I'm not a massive Star Wars fan. More middling. But there are plots and people I quite like and I've found Temuera Morrison charming since the prequel trilogy and the older, gruffer version is still quite appealing.

I also am a fan of some of Robert Rodriguez's films and was looking forward to him bringing his sense of Western style and action to the series.

But my reaction to the first ep - when I wasn't smiling at Temuera who bless him was doing his absolute best with fight scenes that should have just kept to the stunt double in a helmet like Ming-Na's chase scene - was that it was slow and kind of filler. And for a first episode of a series, that wasn't what I expected. The effects also seemed lower level than Mando. Then again, there was mostly sand and... sand... and a couple of Harryhausen tribute monsters.

I'll stick with it, but I'm glad the episodes seem to be short.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm satisfied...but it may have done a little too much of the "mystery" thing...

He was a bounty hunter that took over after cutting himself out of the pit...i think we all had that from the start...don't know what the point of the sand people backstory is at this point?

Most interesting thing to me was why was there a storm trooper in the pit?🤔

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
- Man, if I had a clamming rake I could rule Tatooine. Those water pods seemed way too easy to find, though perhaps the kid just knew of particularly choice spot. I do like the idea that the settlers use vaporators while the locals know better.
These pods are called black melons and were first introduced in issue #7 of the Star Wars Comic and were later referenced in issue #37 and the Mandalorian episode "The Marshal". They are not super easy to find and I think that the Rodian finding that one so quickly was simply due to the pacing needs of the show. They also don't have straight clear water in them like what was shown. They contain a milk-like liquid that is safe to drink, but it is incredibly bitter and smells awful. They kept with this theme in the Mandalorian (Cobb Vanth refuses to drink one because it smells so bad) No idea why they ditched this detail in The Book of Boba Fett.

This Star Wars and Parks & Recreation crossover is weird.

There are many different tales of how Boba Fett escaped the Sarlacc.

If I am not mistaken, Oswalt was quoting the story of how Boba Fett escaped from the Sarlac pit in the now Legends book Tales of the Bounty Hunters. In that telling, he killed the Sarlac with a thermal detonator and crawled out in much the same manner as we saw in the show.

In another telling of the story back in 1977 in issue 81 of the Star Wars comic, the Sarlac spits him out and he is found by Jawas.

It would seem that the writers decided to combine elements of several of the different stories that have come out over the last 40+ years.

erasure fan1

Exactly, you don’t complete the whole story in the first episode. Wait and follow along with the story during the whole season.
I get that and I agree for the most part. My issue is this. Look at Hawkeye and that series, since it's the most recent. They took until the final seconds of the 2nd to last episode to really reveal what the main story is. You then only had one episode to really dig into it. And with such short episodes and season, you feel a little short changed in the end.

I don't want the season to end and feel that the first 2 or 3 episodes were really not that important in the grand scheme of things. And that costs us time with the thing we really want to see. I don't want the final episode rushed because they have to squeeze everything in because there isn't enough time.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I get that and I agree for the most part. My issue is this. Look at Hawkeye and that series, since it's the most recent. They took until the final seconds of the 2nd to last episode to really reveal what the main story is. You then only had one episode to really dig into it. And with such short episodes and season, you feel a little short changed in the end.

I don't want the season to end and feel that the first 2 or 3 episodes were really not that important in the grand scheme of things. And that costs us time with the thing we really want to see. I don't want the final episode rushed because they have to squeeze everything in because there isn't enough time.
That’s story building through a season of a series. You’re going to have throw-away episodes that feel like they’re just filler, but that’s all part of the season.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom