Splash Mtn Restraints

AlishaMisha

Just went to Toyko Disney in early January. Splash Mountain has lap bars there. Knowing the rumor they were coming to MK I was anxious to see them as I thought they would detract from the ride. Was pleasantly surprised to find that they didn't, and for those of you that are tall, I am 6'1" (yeah I know, not super tall) and didn't really have a problem with the ride. Front of Space Mountain is definitely worse.
If Splash Mountain in Tokyo(I am not familiar) had lapbars before or had logs built for the change then I would say that it is incomparable. To my knowledge our logs are the same with added lapbars meaning they were not originally built to have them. This can change things considerably in the amount of space you have.

wolf359

This can change things considerably in the amount of space you have.

Or not. We really won't know until this change happens, but it seems based on one account it has no impact at all.

I know the knee jerk reaction around here is that every change will have a negative impact, but I'm willing to give Disney the benefit of the doubt on this one and at least wait until this actually happens before bemoaning it.

_Scar

If Splash Mountain in Tokyo(I am not familiar) had lapbars before or had logs built for the change then I would say that it is incomparable. To my knowledge our logs are the same with added lapbars meaning they were not originally built to have them. This can change things considerably in the amount of space you have.

Actually, it's about the same amount of room if not more room because it removes the handles.

AlishaMisha

Actually, it's about the same amount of room if not more room because it removes the handles.

Or not. We really won't know until this change happens, but it seems based on one account it has no impact at all.

I know the knee jerk reaction around here is that every change will have a negative impact, but I'm willing to give Disney the benefit of the doubt on this one and at least wait until this actually happens before bemoaning it.

I think you both are misreading. I said it can change the amount of space. Which can mean either more space or less. Just because Tokyo's Splash Mountain worked out for a person of that height does not necessarily mean that it will work out in WDW for someone of that height. Having said that I would still not consider them comparable. Even a half an inch can make a huge difference.

csm

Tokyo's have exactly the same log bodies, except that they have had lap bars since day one when the ride opened. They are actually a *more comfortable ride* than the MK logs were *without* lapbars.

^^ ...and this is exactly why. Way more space without the gigantic bumper handles in front of you.

I'm thrilled that Magic Kingdom's log ride got lap bars finally. This is a vast improvement. Anyone who cannot see that is using this as simply something to complain about to pass their time.

wolf359

I think you both are misreading. I said it can change the amount of space. Which can mean either more space or less. Just because Tokyo's Splash Mountain worked out for a person of that height does not necessarily mean that it will work out in WDW for someone of that height. Having said that I would still not consider them comparable. Even a half an inch can make a huge difference.

I'm referring to Thrill Seeker's report of sitting in one of the WDW logs, not Tokyo Disneyland. He said it didn't change the amount of room in the boat. We can keep playing the will it/won't it game and argue over half-inches, but nothing is going to come of it until Splash Mountain reopens with logs with lap bars, which still hasn't been confirmed as definitely happening during this rehab.

It's already not happened at least once before since the prototype logs have appeared, so until the retrofitted logs actually start carrying guests I don't see the point of worrying about it.

csm

It's already not happened at least once before since the prototype logs have appeared, so until the retrofitted logs actually start carrying guests I don't see the point of worrying about it.

The bottom line is there's not a point in worrying about it regardless; it's happening - be it today or tomorrow or next month or next year - it is simply a question of when. More over than that, it's not even something *to* worry about because as stated by people who actually understand the situation or have taken a moment to think rationally, ad the end of the day you result in *more* space in the logs, not less thanks to the removal of the ridiculous bumper pads that someone accurately described here earlier as "dashboards."

Chill out people. I know a little uproar can be fun sometimes but if you detach yourself from WDWMagic and just read through this thread as a casual observer, it comes across as this being the most heinous offense since the removal of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride to many of you. They're JUST lap bars. They have ABSOLUTELY no affect on you unless you plan to stand up at some point during the ride.

Guess what? The Haunted Mansion has lap bars too!

yeti

Just throwing this out there...I saw at least five logs fully equipped with lap bars sitting backstage last August. Not sure if it changes anything.

If someone already mentioned this...sorry. I'm too lazy to sift through this thread. :lol:

csm

Just throwing this out there...I saw at least five logs fully equipped with lap bars sitting backstage last August. Not sure if it changes anything.

If someone already mentioned this...sorry. I'm too lazy to sift through this thread. :lol:

Right - there's not been question really about whether or not lap bars are coming - just if they're coming *right now*. Much the same happened with Matterhorn Bobsleds at Disneyland. New trains (with lapbars, EGADS!) have tested a bunch but have yet to go online for guests. That doesn't mean they're not *coming*.

yeti

Right - there's not been question really about whether or not lap bars are coming - just if they're coming *right now*. Much the same happened with Matterhorn Bobsleds at Disneyland. New trains (with lapbars, EGADS!) have tested a bunch but have yet to go online for guests. That doesn't mean they're not *coming*.

Well, are they going to sit around backstage for another year? :shrug:

I'm torn on this one. The absence of running logs points to this being the one...but these kinds of refurbishments usually take longer than a month, don't they?

I don't think the new Matterhorn trains have lap bars...seat belts are the issue over there.

csm

Well, are they going to sit around backstage for another year? :shrug:

I'm torn on this one. The absence of running logs points to this being the one...but these kinds of refurbishments usually take longer than a month, don't they?

In terms of are they going to sit longer - that is information that if I had, I likely would not be able to post, but since I do not have, I can tell you honestly I do not know.

Regarding how long it takes - no, not really. If they'd been pulling logs one by one and retrofitting them, it's not like they'd need more work in the station than the addition of a restraint lock/release button. The logs are physically the same, so there's no concerns with them navigating around the flume. The thing is, if the lap bars do "turn on" next week, they haven't been worked on for a month - we've only seen them around the ride for that long. These sorts of things were probably in development and testing in Central Shops for at least a year.

I don't think the new Matterhorn trains have lap bars...seat belts are the issue over there.

You're right, but so am I, sort of. You are right that the newest version of the prototype has seat belts. They are retractable ones like those found on Star Tours or Tower of Terror. Ones that cannot be unlocked on a whim. The original version of the prototype was lap bars like Space Mountain. Now that you point this out, I'm surprised I even forgot because I remember how happy I was to hear that the lapbars were axed after testing on them. (Don't get your hopes up on that for Splash Mountain though!)

AlishaMisha

We can keep playing the will it/won't it game and argue over half-inches, but nothing is going to come of it until Splash Mountain reopens with logs with lap bars, which still hasn't been confirmed as definitely happening during this rehab.
Who said we are playing games or even arguing? :shrug: I think the internet is making my tone sound hostile. I am sorry if you are picking up on a tone that I am not intending. I still think you are misreading based upon your further comments, but let's just leave it the way it is shall we? I don't think this is really worth talking about anymore because of the tone in reaction.

To csm: Thank you for the clarification. As stated I didn't know what the deal was over there.

Anyways, I am headed to to WDW the 25th of Feb so if this does happen for the rest of the boats I will have to see for myself. Here is to hoping they do indeed create more room.

Catch16a

As someone who is extremely claustrophobic I am upset by the addition of the lap bars. It was always one of my most favorite rides because I did not have to be strapped down! I guess this will have to be one ride I don’t ride now. The list is getting bigger!!! Not cool!

Ash-

wolf359

Who said we are playing games or even arguing? :shrug: I think the internet is making my tone sound hostile. I am sorry if you are picking up on a tone that I am not intending. I still think you are misreading based upon your further comments, but let's just leave it the way it is shall we? I don't think this is really worth talking about anymore because of the tone in reaction.

Nah, no worries. :cool: I didn't assume an argumentative tone, nor did I mean to give one off in return.

:)

AlishaMisha

As someone who is extremely claustrophobic I am upset by the addition of the lap bars. It was always one of my most favorite rides because I did not have to be strapped down! I guess this will have to be one ride I don’t ride now. The list is getting bigger!!! Not cool!
Ash-
Not that I am a pill pusher but have you tried medication? As stated in a previous post I get panic attacks if a room is too dark or small. I have found that the only thing that helps is medication for situations when I need it, like camping and such. In my case I use Valium. I can see where you wouldn't want to use meds everyday because of dependency, but for situations like this I think it would benefit you greatly and allow you to enjoy everything, even rides you have avoided in the past

Nah, no worries. :cool: I didn't assume an argumentative tone, nor did I mean to give one off in return.
:)
Thank You. :)

Flip83

Every ride has lap bars, yet people complain about getting claustrophobic on Splash Mt if they add lap bars? Makes absolutely no sense. hahaha, but I'll admit, reading so many complaints on this site over the smallest pointless things are enjoyable sometimes.

AlishaMisha

speaking of restraints, what will the Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster have? Anyone know?
I'm going to take a guess and say T-bars. Reason being is because the cars will be tipping(right? or am I wrong?) and lapbars would be too much of a risk of moving around for the smaller lapped person sitting next to the other person. This is just my speculation of course.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom