Splash Mtn Restraints

csm

Are you saying the DCA ToT once operated without seat belts? That would seem odd that DHS would have added seatbelts to its ToT, then DCA opened later without seatbelts?

DCA's Tower of Terror always had seatbelts. There is no opinion about this.

Rob562

Are you saying the DCA ToT once operated without seat belts? That would seem odd that DHS would have added seatbelts to its ToT, then DCA opened later without seatbelts?

if you re-read what he said, he posted a double-negative "...has never not had seatbelts..." meaning that it's always had seatbelts.

The posted photo was of a guy who somehow got out from his seatbelt (or didn't buckle it over him in the first place) and jumped up and grabbed the ceiling to hang there for a moment right when the photo was taken. Even if the photo is taken during one of the mini-drops at the top, there's no way that he'd get that much air on that mini drop.
So while it's a real photo taken from DCA's Tower, the means of how the situation was created was falsified.

Getting back to the matter at hand, looking at that log, there is a LOT more room because in addition to the grab-bar being removed, the bulk of the "dashboard" cushion is gone, too. That leaves a LOT of extra room in front of you. I see this as an indirectly-good thing.

-Rob

BigThunderMatt

Restraints could cause the ride to have less perodical down time for the occasional idiot, but I have a concern about downtime WITH the lapbars...

It has been common practice since 2007 to not pull down lap bars on empty rows to eliminate potential injuries to cast. This is the same reason lap bars are no longer physically checked by the cast members on rides such as Big Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain.

TimeTrip

if you re-read what he said, he posted a double-negative "...has never not had seatbelts..." meaning that it's always had seatbelts

That was my understanding. But wdw ftw said "ohhh reallly" insinuating that that wasn't the case. I was just making sure my observation was correct.

Oh yes they do. Doesn't mean it's not worth it, but if CMs didn't have to check the restraints on those rides every dispatch, all those incremental seconds added from the time saved would be massive for the OHRC.

From discussing Splash's procedures with my DGF (who worked there) and just knowing how it works, it's pretty similar to Small World's dispatch (any Splash CMs can add to this). If the ride needs restraints, it needs restraints, but CMs checking restraints absolutely adds time to dispatch. Exponentially.

That said, I'm guessing for Splash there would be one CM for each boat checking, so that's just eight rows checked. That's just ~15 extra seconds. And they may just do it like Space Mountain with the "pull up on your lap bar please" quick check, that would only add a handful of seconds. Still, if you're sending 180 boats an hour (made up number), by adding five seconds for each dispatch, you've slowed it down to under 170 boats an hour. ~250 fewer people riding an hour is not a trivial sum.

tl;dr: Restraint checks absolutely slow things down. Not much on individual dispatches, but it adds up quickly.

We haven't started retraining yet, but it is my understanding that we will not be checking the lap bars, just telling guests to pull them down.

Buried20KLeague

We haven't started retraining yet, but it is my understanding that we will not be checking the lap bars, just telling guests to pull them down.

That's what I wondered... If CM's would have to check the bars. This is a fairly unique situation, seeing as how the ride hasn't had lap bars for so many years. The function of the bars isn't to hold people in because it's necessary due to g-forces... Their function is really just to keep idiots from getting out of the logs.

Mansion Butler

Not checking them makes sense. Someone who says it won't make much of a different in dispatch times seriously underestimates how crucial a couple seconds in dispatch time is, but if they're not checking it makes it even easier to believe the difference will be made up by fewer downtimes.

And I'm betting fewer evacs. I've been evac'd off Splash more than all other attractions combined.

Mr.MouseFan

Judging by the pics posted, it looks like these new logs would be roomier and have more leg room for those of us "of size" than the previous versions. I guess I'm just going to have to make a trip to "test" them out. :drevil:

Uncle Lupe

This is a large thread for just a lap bar installation. Might make flashing more difficult. Someone try to find out and post a pic. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom