Splash Mtn Restraints

THEMEPARKPIONEER

uuughhh...i cant believe this. i used to love trying to get out of the log and take photos of me next to the animatronics.....

Your not getting your Mickey Ears now after writing that one LOL.

Several years ago during one of my family's trips, we saw a woman jump out of her log in front of us. Apparently she was having a panic attic and couldn't sit still.

Fortunately a cast member came and got her pretty quickly so nothing happened. Not a big fan of the lap bars, but guess this will stop this kind of thing from happening.

I cant believe she was dumb enough to even enter the ride. Everyone knows what the drop looks like, especially after seeing it on the way to the entrance of the ride LOL.

i do not know why anyone would want to jump out. i fear the water, or more like, i fear what is in the water. all those little mechanical things working to keep boats moving? imagine getting your trouser leg stuck in a gear or something. i know the water isn't very deep, but it's what you can't see in the water.

Some people have no common sense. No matter how athletic you are its always a possibility you can fall do to getting out of a moving boat onto a still platform. You can fall between the log or even worse. And knowing the way the world is today there are people out there who would sue for getting hurt by violating the safety rules. Its a spineless attempt and it happens here in New Youk (hell) all the time. A kid climbed the basketball hoop when asked not to, fell, broke his ankle and got 10'000.

Thrill Seeker

People who get out of the logs need to be kicked out of the park - end of story.

If they did that, and didn't pander to these fools, there wouldn't be nearly as much problem. 99.99% of guests don't get out of the logs.

On Splash Mountain I wouldn't worry as much, but the few (and they are very rare) incidents of vehicles in water rides overturning and drowning people freak me out. As with the BTMR fatality at Disneyland, other types of rides have some danger too, but generally with them if you get stuck you get a bad sunburn or mess your pants waiting to get rescued. Water rides have a different element, in my opinion.

And it's just generally uncomfortable. I hate restraints. I'm on vacation, and I want to be as comfortable as possible and relax. If this does go through, I guess at least it's not the seat belts like on the new ToT. And I definitely will not go on a water ride where there at least isn't some way to wiggle out in the event of an accident (i.e. locked seat belts/too tight lap bars).

As for speculation on reduced capacity in this thread - the Screamscape article says "dispatch time between logs has been raised from 12.5 seconds to an estimated 15-20 seconds per log." That's not including the inability for 3 to ride per row.

Sucks all around. :mad:

Haven't heard anything about the increase in dispatch interval. I'm pretty sure one of my managers said that wasn't changing.

The sad part is, normally if someone gets out of a log, they are brought to a coordinator or manager, talked to, and sent out on their merry way without really any repercussions.

The lap bars really aren't that big of a deal. They are there to hopefully reduce the amount of people standing up and/or getting out of logs. That's all. They are not safety critical.

Tazer19

I went through the thread and don't think I missed it, but if so, I apologize...

Is the re-open date still the 31st or is it earlier since they have been supposedly cycling?

WEll disney needs to really start kicking people out of their parks while not following the rules of the park. Most of these people are with familys and the kids(teens and up) are away from mom and dad. If mom and dad only KNEW what happened and were kicked out of the park for the day along with them i think there might be less of this. If even this didnt happen and the instances stayed the same , for that day a family of idiots wouldnt be in the park.

As for the lap bars, who cares really. I dont see why people are whining about it, youll either ride it or wont. Youll ride it once and see if you like them and if you dont, you wont get back on, which means SHORTER lines :)

THEMEPARKPIONEER

WEll disney needs to really start kicking people out of their parks while not following the rules of the park. Most of these people are with familys and the kids(teens and up) are away from mom and dad. If mom and dad only KNEW what happened and were kicked out of the park for the day along with them i think there might be less of this. If even this didnt happen and the instances stayed the same , for that day a family of idiots wouldn't be in the park.

As for the lap bars, who cares really. I dont see why people are whining about it, youll either ride it or wont. Youll ride it once and see if you like them and if you dont, you wont get back on, which means SHORTER lines :)

You are absolutely right about that one. I brought a friend of mine on a camping trip with my family. Now he is well behaved at home so I thought things would work out... I was wrong. I went to a family owned campground where they have some cool toys there including their own firetruck. Some kids trashed it and what was my friend decided to finish the job. I kept on telling him to stop but he wouldn't listen and the owner shows up. I told him to stop but he still kept on throwing rocks at the windshield saying the truck is garbage anyway. Guy came up behind him and yelled and my friend disrespectfully yelled back after the owner saw his what was a mint classic Firetruck being destroyed. He was rightfully accused of ruining the whole truck since that was the first time they saw it destroyed. My buddy cursed him out in front of his 3 year old and argued him.

AlishaMisha

I cant believe she was dumb enough to even enter the ride. Everyone knows what the drop looks like, especially after seeing it on the way to the entrance of the ride LOL.

I defense to that women: I go though panic attacks when in the right(or wrong should I say) situations. My trigger is darkness and room size when sleeping. Sometime you can't predict how you will react. Like sometimes I think a room is big enough or light enough and then I go to sleep and wake up in pure terror. When going through such a thing there is no reasoning or common sense involved. I have been know to be trying to get out of a room and not knowing how to get out. I will jiggle the handle over and over again, freaking out and crying. It's weird I know, but in a situation like what this lady went though I can understand. And I understand how you can put yourself in a situation that will trigger an attack without predicting it. This is not to say that it isn't extremely dangerous, but I definitely can relate to this situation. As far as the people who get out for other reason, well I haven't come to understand that yet :eek:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I think the big issue with the restraints is how restrictive they will be to larger guests. I don't think they're going to make much of a difference in loading and unloading.

Who said anything about boarding? Not to mention if the chubby peeps ride all the other rides that have resetraints (pooh bear, snow white, thunder mountain, ect.) then I don't see a difference.

durangojim

I didn't read through all 9 pages, so I apogize, but can anyone tell me if you can still fit 3 to a seat (my wife and I enjoy taking our son on this together).

TDF

I didn't read through all 9 pages, so I apogize, but can anyone tell me if you can still fit 3 to a seat (my wife and I enjoy taking our son on this together).

I don't think anyone knows according to screamscape they say no but who knows...
Screamscape said:
"Previous policy allowed for groups of three that could fit (3 kids, 2 adult & 1 small child) to sit in one row, for a maximum of 12 riders per log. Now I know this didn’t happen all the time, but with the new lap bars two riders per row is all that will be allowed."

WDW FTW

Well if you had actually read the thread, you'd know that the lap bars are to prevent people from literally getting out of the log (because people are stupid), not to prevent them from coming out of their seat.

Thanks, but i did read the entire thread before posting, what i meant by "lifting" was that ive heard of those stupid people trying to stand or get out and its a situation where they get hurt in the process and they sue like stupid people would, and then the person and their friends claim that the ride made him lift off their seat and thats how they fell. Its just one of those stories that you hear and just shake your head at the legal system... sorry if i didnt clarify earlier...

JimboJones123

I'v been on a log behind a group of jack@$$es that leaned out the back of their log splashing and soaking us the whole way. I was just glad my kids were 6 and 8 at the time. If younger, it could have been pretty tramatic.

Disney is left doing what they have been forced to do. Damn shame really.

Jerm

Ok just to double check, we are going on 10 pages about 75% a lap bad that we are saying is true based off a bad picture taken from the onride photo system of a attraction that is dry as a bone and not even cycling????? And 25% about the water canon???

Has anyone actually seen any logs with these "lap bars"? Going off the picture it really does not look like a lap bar to me, just added padding.

Tigger1988

These lap bars seem to be causing more problems than solutions at the moment, but sadly they are necessary.

Problems for whom exactly? All I see are people overreacting about something they have yet to experience.

found this picture a while back, this could be the reason for the seatbelts on terror of terror. not sure though.

http://failblog.org/2010/05/15/epic-...atbelt-fail-2/

I'm surprised people still fall for that photo.

T-1MILLION

Ok just to double check, we are going on 10 pages about 75% a lap bad that we are saying is true based off a bad picture taken from the onride photo system of a attraction that is dry as a bone and not even cycling????? And 25% about the water canon???

Has anyone actually seen any logs with these "lap bars"? Going off the picture it really does not look like a lap bar to me, just added padding.

Yes sir, that is about right.

That is why I find it to be similar to last year's topic. There were backstage photo(s) of the log with water dummies and lapbars installed but we never once saw it in a general public photo and when it reopened there was none of them in sight.

For all we know this could just be another step in a prototype. I hate to doubt something that sounds likely, but as of right now... We have no confirmation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom