Splash Mtn Restraints

Bender!

I thought it was strange too, but unfortunately its a weird angle to be looking at the boat. If someone got a picture of it in the nose dive, maybe we would have been able to see the lapbars.

WDW FTW

not so sure if the lapbars are even necessary seeing as ive never heard of any close incidents of people "lifting" off their seats, but whatever when they changed the tower of terror restraints there wasn't a difference in line flow

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
can they shut off that damn water cannon! The only way to avoid it is to move around, and now you can't do that!

I happen to not mind the water cannon, and I to see faces of those who are not having a good time at WDW when they get the water cannon! :ROFLOL:

I think containing safety issues, the restraints me be a good thing.

Bender!

I happen to not mind the water cannon, and I to see faces of those who are not having a good time at WDW when they get the water cannon! :ROFLOL:

I think containing safety issues, the restraints me be a good thing.
I think the big issue with the restraints is how restrictive they will be to larger guests. I don't think they're going to make much of a difference in loading and unloading.

Oddysey

Holy crappoli, why would anyone climb out of/around the log? I cant even see a reason for this! are they trying to touch things or something?? :brick:

I have seen this before. Once my wife and I were sharing the boat with a couple of young teenagers who were attempting to impress one another and us. After the big fall as we passed the briar patch the two decided to bail out of the boat. They both ran out to the left, and hopped the small wooden fence back into Frontierland.

The thing is when the second one hopped out, his feet hit the slippery pavement next to the boat and he fell very hard. He did a pretty good job of protecting himself with his hands, but the potential for serious injury was there. Especially if he fell back into the flume.

It may sound mean, but I was happy when they jumped out of the boat. My wife and I quickly grew tired of listening to the two of them cursing over and over, and the incessant high fiving. The kid fell hard, but at least the remainder of our ride was quite. :)

Bender!

I have seen this before. Once my wife and I were sharing the boat with a couple of young teenagers who were attempting to impress one another and us. After the big fall as we passed the briar patch the two decided to bail out of the boat. They both ran out to the left, and hopped the small wooden fence back into Frontierland.

The thing is when the second one hopped out, his feet hit the slippery pavement next to the boat and he fell very hard. He did a pretty good job of protecting himself with his hands, but the potential for serious injury was there. Especially if he fell back into the flume.

It may sound mean, but I was happy when they jumped out of the boat. My wife quickly grew tired of listening to the two of them cursing over and over, and the incessant high fiving. The kid fell hard, but at least the remainder of our ride was quite. :)
Haha, karma can be a real pain in the doupah.

WDW FTW

It may sound mean, but I was happy when they jumped out of the boat. My wife and I quickly grew tired of listening to the two of them cursing over and over, and the incessant high fiving. The kid fell hard, but at least the remainder of our ride was quite. :)

HAHAHA funny story, i know ur post obviously wasnt directed at this point, but idiots trying to jump out of boats and standing up in "Jesus" stance at the top of the drop, doesnt mean disney has to add more safety precautions. It's not their fault, but then again people sue for their own stupid mistakes nowadays...

Billy6

I like it for my 5 y/o DD, so I dont have to act like a restraint(one arm holding her so she doesnt slide too much)....but....

I hate it for me. :(

Phonedave

I don't understand. Can you tall and/or wide folks ride Everest, BTM, or whatever else already has lap bars? Why would lap bars on splash suddenly mean you can't fit in the vehicle?

I am 6' 4" - I fit on all the rides, but I can tell you, some are not too comfortable.

The front seats of Space Mountain are bad (seats 2 and 3 are better)

BTMRR, I have to sit with my legs crossed in order to get my knees low enough. If I sit with them straight, the lap bar does come down, but it digs into the tops of my legs. What is really bad is when I ride something like BTMRR that is a side by side seat, but a single lap bar, and I ride with my kids. Either they are too lose and are sliding all over the place, or they are OK, and I have crushed legs.

-dave

Phonedave

As for the photo that's being posted on Stitch Kingdom, am I the only one who is wondering why they're being posted as evidence of lapbars when you can't see lapbars in the photo? (The presence of water dummies doesn't necessarily mean lapbars. You can't even see their laps, and the large brown things in front of each dummy are the "dashboard" pads that have always been there)

-Rob

That and the fact that it's a ride photo, with the water graphic on it.

I would think, that if they are doing work they would have the on-ride photo system off.

-dave

pumpkin7

i do not know why anyone would want to jump out. i fear the water, or more like, i fear what is in the water. all those little mechanical things working to keep boats moving? imagine getting your trouser leg stuck in a gear or something. i know the water isn't very deep, but it's what you can't see in the water.

Bender!

i do not know why anyone would want to jump out. i fear the water, or more like, i fear what is in the water. all those little mechanical things working to keep boats moving? imagine getting your trouser leg stuck in a gear or something. i know the water isn't very deep, but it's what you can't see in the water.
Don't forget that you're pretty close to "shore" on Splash Mountain while you're in those boats.

Depends on how friendly you are with your fellow riders... ;-)

From one of Theme Park Review's trips:
tprflorida62_886.jpg

As for the photo that's being posted on Stitch Kingdom, am I the only one who is wondering why they're being posted as evidence of lapbars when you can't see lapbars in the photo? (The presence of water dummies doesn't necessarily mean lapbars. You can't even see their laps, and the large brown things in front of each dummy are the "dashboard" pads that have always been there)

-Rob
If you look at this photo vs the one with the water dummies, the one with the dummies has black "railings" next to each seat on the outside edge of the logs. Could those be associated with the new lapbars?

pumpkin7

Don't forget that you're pretty close to "shore" on Splash Mountain while you're in those boats.

yeah i know, but it's if you say, jumped out the back or something. there's still water, and still gears, and still stuff pushing the boats forward.
POTC, now if i ever had to walk through any of that dark water, omg. it's dark, there's water cannons, there's stuff moving in the water.... shivers down my spine right now.
it's like when i look at old pictures of 20k. i never rode it, but i would have hated having to swim around in there while there was water in there. even walking around it with no water gives me the heeby jeebys. lol.

Rob562

If you look at this photo vs the one with the water dummies, the one with the dummies has black "railings" next to each seat on the outside edge of the logs. Could those be associated with the new lapbars?

They're not railings, they're access holes to the interior of the log, but with the cover plate removed. I'm trying to do a photo search to see if there's always been covered holes there (perhaps with some kind of any-slip covering on top, and the removable panel is an easy way to replace it).

If they're new, then yes, they could be maintenance access to the lapbar mechanics, but they wouldn't be open on a regular basis.

EDIT: OK, I was able to find a high-resolution photo of a log, and it doesn't look like those panels were there before. So it's quite possible that this log does have lapbars that aren't visible. Now whether that's an indication that they're coming on ALL the logs, or if this is still the one test log that's already known to be in existence, who knows.

-Rob

djkidkaz

I don't see lap bars in the photo either. It looks just like black grip tape that would be there for people who step on that spot of the log when getting in and out of them. The water can make that spot slippery and it would just be for safety of the guest.

Don't punish the real guests

People who get out of the logs need to be kicked out of the park - end of story.

If they did that, and didn't pander to these fools, there wouldn't be nearly as much problem. 99.99% of guests don't get out of the logs.

On Splash Mountain I wouldn't worry as much, but the few (and they are very rare) incidents of vehicles in water rides overturning and drowning people freak me out. As with the BTMR fatality at Disneyland, other types of rides have some danger too, but generally with them if you get stuck you get a bad sunburn or mess your pants waiting to get rescued. Water rides have a different element, in my opinion.

And it's just generally uncomfortable. I hate restraints. I'm on vacation, and I want to be as comfortable as possible and relax. If this does go through, I guess at least it's not the seat belts like on the new ToT. And I definitely will not go on a water ride where there at least isn't some way to wiggle out in the event of an accident (i.e. locked seat belts/too tight lap bars).

As for speculation on reduced capacity in this thread - the Screamscape article says "dispatch time between logs has been raised from 12.5 seconds to an estimated 15-20 seconds per log." That's not including the inability for 3 to ride per row.

Sucks all around. :mad:

thelookingglass

not so sure if the lapbars are even necessary seeing as ive never heard of any close incidents of people "lifting" off their seats, but whatever when they changed the tower of terror restraints there wasn't a difference in line flow
Well if you had actually read the thread, you'd know that the lap bars are to prevent people from literally getting out of the log (because people are stupid), not to prevent them from coming out of their seat.

jlg263

True, but most parties of three could never fit in one row across, anyway, unless the party had a small child in it.

I hate hate hate when they try to put me in a seat with 2 other people. I can see it with children, but I'm 24 and was with my 2 other friends of equal age and they put us in the same row.

I guess they were just trying to keep us together... but it was miserable. None of us are very big, but we're definitely not children either! Not to mention that my friends were newly-weds with "just married" pins on so that was a little awkward, haha. We thought maybe they did it for efficiency reasons until we looked behind us and realized the last 2 rows of the boat were empty! :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom