News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

matt9112

This is a unique situation in that the signature element, the drop, remains the same. That’s a huge part of the experience. Yes, everything else, non-flume-related, will be different.

The drop is 110% not the signature element I can get a similar drop at amusement parks across the nation….there’s even a few very well done flumes. The signature element was the show scenes and story.

Rich T

The drop is 110% not the signature element I can get a similar drop at amusement parks across the nation….there’s even a few very well done flumes. The signature element was the show scenes and story.
I disagree with your interpretation of Signature Element. The drop is the image most people have in their heads when they think of Splash. It’s the Money Shot, the image Disney uses in all their media to promote it. It’s the thing everyone photographs. The drop is the iconic signature element of Splash Mountain, just as Cinderella Castle is MK’s signature element. It’s the first image that pops into mind when the subject is mentioned.

The Mom

Premium Member
You nailed it in the second part. I agree rides need maintenance. Just wish it didn’t go down every January because that’s when work allows me to go on vacation. Not really meant to be critical or controversial
The WDW weather affects when they can do major maintenance. December is out because of the holiday crowds, so that leaves Jan- Mar before the spring crowds and hurricane/afternoon thunderstorms season.

But it is unfortunate that it happens during your only vacation time.

erasure fan1

There is a part of me that has some 20,000 Leagues fears about this project.
The possibility of them encountering some sever issues that they deem prohibitively expensive to remedy.
I hope not, but it's in the back of my mind.
Part of me wouldn't mind if they need to demo the whole thing. I'd prefer they start from scratch instead of having to shoehorn the new ride into the existing space. I think the project would turn out much better that way.

LittleBuford

I disagree with your interpretation of Signature Element. The drop is the image most people have in their heads when they think of Splash. It’s the Money Shot, the image Disney uses in all their media to promote it. It’s the thing everyone photographs. The drop is the iconic signature element of Splash Mountain, just as Cinderella Castle is MK’s signature element. It’s the first image that pops into mind when the subject is mentioned.
I agree with others on this: it was the theming rather than the drop that rendered Splash Mountain so special and distinctive. I hope Tiana's Bayou Adventure maintains that distinction.

MerlinTheGoat

By all means then, gut the interior so it's just a concrete flume riding through dark steel hallways. See if most people still consider that to be remotely as fun.

The drop is fun and looks cool. It's not what gives the ride staying power though. If that was all it had going for it, relatively few people would be remotely as upset about this overhaul. The interior scenes are what makes the ride stand out and places it far above any other log flume out there.

When I first road it as a kid, I didn't have any idea that it was going to be a fully fledged immersive dark ride inside. I just figured it would be a prettier take on the log flumes i'd ridden elsewhere. I didn't know there would be impressive interior scenes with amazingly detailed sets and tons of animatronics with a narrative progression, and those were what made it spectacular and one of my favorite rides of all time. It needs those scenes far more than it needs the big drop.

Last edited:

Rich T

I agree with others on this: it was the theming rather than the drop that rendered Splash Mountain so special and distinctive. I hope Tiana's Bayou Adventure maintains that distinction.
Yes. Certainly. But the drop is the … what term would make everyone happy? “Iconic Image?”
“Most Photographed part of the ride?” “Money Shot?”

I’m not referring to what makes the ride special. I’m referring to the mental image that instantly pops into most people’s minds at the mention of “Splash Mountain.”

SNS

Yeah, if you just want the thrill of the drop there's plenty of other flume rides that drop you from higher places. You don't even have to go far for that. Both of the competition that tweeted (Journey to Atlantis at Sea World and Dudley Do Right at Islands of Adventure) have taller drops.

Rich T

By all means then, gut the interior so it's just a concrete flume riding through dark steel hallways. See if most people still consider that to be remotely as fun.

The drop is fun and looks cool. It's not what gives the ride staying power though. If that was all it had going for it, relatively few people would be remotely as upset about this overhaul. The interior scenes are what makes the ride stand out and places it far above any other log flume out there. When I first road it as a kid, I didn't have any idea that it was going to be a fully fledged dark ride inside. I just figured it would be a bit of a fancier looking log flume that i'd ridden elsewhere. The interior scenes are what made it one of my favorite rides of all time. It needs those scenes far more than it needs the big drop.
Please see my response to LittleBuford. 😊

Midwest Elitist

Yes. Certainly. But the drop is the … what term would make everyone happy? “Iconic Image?”
“Most Photographed part of the ride?” “Money Shot?”

I’m not referring to what makes the ride special. I’m referring to the mental image that instantly pops into most people’s minds at the mention of “Splash Mountain.”
You're forgetting the visual of disappearing into the briar patch as well.

LittleBuford

But that image itself—with the rock work, tree stump, and briar patch—speaks to (or rather spoke to) the highly themed environment that characterised the entire ride. It announced itself to be more than just another log flume.

Incomudro

Part of me wouldn't mind if they need to demo the whole thing. I'd prefer they start from scratch instead of having to shoehorn the new ride into the existing space. I think the project would turn out much better that way.
I fear that if that were the case, that like 20K - the entire project would be abandoned and become Tiana's grotto.

Rich T

But that image itself—with the rock work, tree stump, and briar patch—speaks to (or rather spoke to) the highly themed environment that characterised the entire ride. It announced itself to be more than just another log flume.
Okay… goodness… Let me be perfectly clear: When I say “the drop” I don’t mean just the bare-bones flume. I mean the complete visual package when you look at it. Tiana’s version of the exterior drop will have different specific details, but I’m confident the overall visual impact will be quite similar/on par with/high quality/the Money Shot.

LittleBuford

Okay… goodness… Let me be perfectly clear: When I say “the drop” I don’t mean just the bare-bones flume. I mean the complete visual package when you look at it. Tiana’s version of the exterior drop will have different specific details, but I’m confident the overall visual impact will be quite similar/on par with/high quality/the Money Shot.
I tend to agree, though I can't say I love the idea of a crowned water tower. Hopefully the final design will be more impressive than the concept art suggests.

EPCOT-O.G.

How can you suggest theming is immaterial and replaceable but then say what’s impressive is the “complete visual package”?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom