News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

EPCOT-O.G.

And this is why the despair runs so deep. $35 million is an offensively small amount for a project of this deep significance to the park and fan community, especially given how little Disney gets for their money and how underwhelming (though fun) GotG is despite a budget nearly 17 times as large. It shows an absolutely fundamental ignorance on the part of management that no subsequent increases can actually correct. They don’t understand the parks or thier audience.

Subsequently raising that amount based on Twitter outcry is further evidence of very basic problems. It once again emphasizes exec’s utter cluelessness that they were taken by surprise by the reaction, but reacting to it shows an impulsiveness, poor judgement, and lack of self-confidence (the reason Splash actually needed a change were the historical realities surrounding the production and release of the original film, not the fact that a group of vociferous posters got mad on-line). Twitter is not real life. The fact that Disney’s leaders don’t know that…

Splash needed to change, but it needed to be changed by a company with a very clear vision of its past and future and the will to dedicate copious resources to the project.
Again, why? The need and necessity of this reskin hasn’t been demonstrated. Why shouldn’t it get the JII / Under New Management treatment?

Some on here have suggested it will be the same ride and it won’t be any less fun. Since theming is immaterial, why spend any more money than necessary?

EPCOT-O.G.

In
Exactly they have to make sure they don't damage the flume. I'd say a good amount of this budget is going to demolition. This attraction wasn't built to be taken apart every set is built out of concrete so any change will cost them time and money.
Interesting. Wonder if their demo work would create some stability/structural integrity issues.

I also know one of the concerns about doing anything new to the PeopleMover in DL is that it wouldn’t be grandfathered under the ADA/OSHA. Presumptively a remake of this ride would mean they couldn’t grandfather in to pre-ADA regs (Splash constructed in ‘89; ADA passed in ‘90). Anyone know if Splash would’ve passed ADA muster?

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
PSA: If anyone here is considering a trip soon to L.A. to ride DL’s Splash Mtn., do take a side trip to nearby Knott’s Berry Farm to ride Timber Mountain, a fantastic, historic Log Flume that greatly influenced Tony Baxters design for Splash.

Timber Mountain is wonderfully, fully themed to a working lumberjack town, from the Garner Holt AAs to the sets, authentic props, CM costumes and catchy theme song that plays in various forms throughout. It also was the first to do the enter-a-pitch-dark-cave-and-plummet-down-a-surprise-drop-into-underground-caverns thing.

And I actually think it was and still is, overall, the best log flume on Earth.
I just watched a POV, and but for the fact that it’s a water ride and not a coaster, it totally made me think of Dollywood’s Blazing Fury … and then son of a gun, they actually shouted “Fire in the hole”. 😂

Looks like a fun ride, but doesn’t hold a candle to Splash.

celluloid

I just watched a POV, and but for the fact that it’s a water ride and not a coaster, it totally made me think of Dollywood’s Blazing Fury … and then son of a gun, they actually shouted “Fire in the hole”. 😂

It does have a very similar feel in person. I enjoy Blazing Fury at Dollywood and Fire in The Hole, pretty much the same thing at Silver Dollar City Better. Timber can be an assault on the senses as it is a fast flume. I visited in March of last year. The flume itself is in kind of rough shape as well as the logs and the old loading and unloading platform which would never be designed today(not unlike many other older log flumes still going) There were also some pretty comical show issues like speakers visible without much effort to hide.

It had a bit too much visible in the show scenes for my liking. The Calico Mine ride does a much better job at being completely themed. Both fun.

Drdcm

Any one hear if they plan update the ride system/track so it requires less maintenance - if it’s even possible to do? A yearly shutdown of a new ride seems problematic.

Touchdown

Timber was the second log flume ride ever built. Yes that’s right, it’s that old it is literally the inspiration for every mountain flume. Cut it some slack and the track isn’t rough it’s designed to bang around like that, it adds to the thrill.

celluloid

Any one hear if they plan update the ride system/track so it requires less maintenance - if it’s even possible to do? A yearly shutdown of a new ride seems problematic.
All rides should close once a year to upkeep. This is what it used to be and why things look so good.

That being said, yes, that is a part of why this project happened. Splash has taken more abuse than any other water ride for its age and usage combined. So many hours. Its refurbs and maintained are costly. There will be a lot of welding and repairs going on, and this retheme allowed for that to be justified.

celluloid

Timber was the second log flume ride ever built. Yes that’s right, it’s that old it is literally the inspiration for every mountain flume. Cut it some slack and the track isn’t rough it’s designed to bang around like that, it adds to the thrill.

That is wrong. Not sure who told you that. There were many at to Six Flags over Georgia and Texas getting their other flumes, 2 at each(it depends on if you count those parks having duplicates to increase capacity) also also designed by Arrow before Timber Mountain. Dollywood even had one before Timer Mountain relocated from the World's fair in the 60s.

Last edited:

Drdcm

All rides should close once a year to upkeep. This is what it used to be and why things look so good.

That being said, yes, that is a part of why this project happened. Splash has taken more abuse than any other water ride for its age and usage combined. So many hours. Its refurbs and maintained are costly. There will be a lot of welding and repairs going on, and this retheme allowed for that to be justified.
I agree they need regular maintenance. Just wish they’d vary it a bit from year to year. More recently, I’ve only been able to make it in late January and it was frequently closed 😕. I get that it’s timed based on crowd levels though

Rich T

Fair enough, but what the videos can’t convey is how much fun the motion of the logs along the flume is on Timber Mtn., especially the crazy out of control feeling of careening through twisty darkness after the indoor drop. There’s a moment where the splash wake from the next log back catches up with you and and suddenly it feels like you’re surfing on a swell of water for a couple of seconds. In the dark. It’s pure fun from beginning to end. And no getting soaked!

But, heck, I can’t deny Splash is more spectacular. I love your comparison to Blazing Fury; it’s such a good parallel! The “Fire in the Hole” yell was added in the recent AA upgrade refurb. 😃

celluloid

I agree they need regular maintenance. Just wish they’d very it a bit from year to year. More recently, I’ve only been able to make it in late January and it was frequently closed 😕. I get that it’s timed based on crowd levels though

It is typically when FL gets the cold fronts so that is when all major FL theme parks choose to close the water rides. That stinks, it is a good time to be there but I get it.

Kirby86

Why would it be problematic? Rides need the TLC to keep them in tip top shape and thus one would be no different. A month to 3 month shut down during the "down season" is perfectly acceptable. Disney just has to let everyone know beforehand. Now if its because this will be a princess ride being down for extended refurbishments well that's Disney's fault for giving Tiana a log-flume one of the most difficult to maintain rides in existence.

Drdcm

Why would it be problematic? Rides need the TLC to keep them in tip top shape and thus one would be no different. A month to 3 month shut down during the "down season" is perfectly acceptable. Disney just has to let everyone know beforehand. Now if its because this will be a princess ride being down for extended refurbishments well that's Disney's fault for giving Tiana a log-flume one of the most difficult to maintain rides in existence.
You nailed it in the second part. I agree rides need maintenance. Just wish it didn’t go down every January because that’s when work allows me to go on vacation. Not really meant to be critical or controversial

celluloid

You nailed it in the second part. I agree rides need maintenance. Just wish it didn’t go down every January because that’s when work allows me to go on vacation. Not really meant to be critical or controversial

Another part of it is, if they did proper daily upkeep, the downtime would not have to be a month plus. They run it to the ground with so many late hours, lack of proper schedule for upkeep and budgeting it. Then are in crisis rush mode when it does close for refurbs. This is the case for most WDW attractions now under TDO management.

Kirby86

Nah I get the feeling. I wanted to ride Jurrassic Park the last time I was in Islands of Adventures and I forgot it was closed because of refurbishment it's a bummer. The issue is January and February typically are the slowest time periods because of the cold and it's after Christmas and New Years.

MerlinTheGoat

Interesting. Wonder if their demo work would create some stability/structural integrity issues.
It would probably help to post a picture of the ride while it was still under construction and showing what it looks like without all the rockwork-

ib1-2_20140923_1353126651.jpg-nggid0515858-ngg0dyn-1024x687x90-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.jpg

The gray colored steel and concrete are the structural elements. Based on the model/render, the only structural element that seems to be getting altered is that beam at the peak used to stabilize the tree trunk. That piece also isn't part of the structural integrity of the rest of the mountain.

The reddish brown "netting" seen in the photo is a thin metal mesh they use to frame and apply the cosmetic concrete over. This layer of concrete is also fairly thin. To the degree that it's relatively easy to damage. Back in 2012 when the ride was in really poor condition, there were some sections outside right before the riverboat finale that had large holes in them. The inside was hollow and you could see this metal mesh sticking out of the very thin layer of concrete. This is how the interior scenery is structured as well.

Based on the models, it looks like they're not going to be tearing much of the rockwork off of the exterior. They're keeping most of it and just applying some additional paint and vegetation to make it look more swampy. WDW's variant is even seemingly retaining the "red clay" paint. The tree trunk is probably going to take the most effort since they need to cut that one steel beam. I suspect the briar patch doesn't even have such hefty support beams since the thorns are small.

MerlinTheGoat

I'm guessing they'll be making routine updates to some of the underlying electronics, sensors, worn out parts etc. But the ride is going to require occasional refurbishments at least every couple of years regardless of what they do. Hardware eventually wears out and needs repair, no matter how "modern" it is. Also, modern equipment doesn't necessarily guarantee longer lifespan/reliability, sometimes it does but sometimes it's the opposite.

One major trick to reducing the amount of long refurbs though is by conducting proper preventative maintenance on a daily basis as needed. Something the Disney company of today has become allergic to. It won't eliminate the need for the eventual month+ long refurbs, but it can help stretch it out so it doesn't need one every year or two. Also making those lengthy ones take less time as well.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom