Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyMouse10

It only makes sense if they are making New Orleans Square in Magic Kingdom. There's plenty of space to the left of the park, on the other side of the tracks.

MrHorse

I'm offended by Cinderella Castle. It represents the feminine need for a masculine savior, and supports the superiority of a ruling class over the masses.

Can we burn Cinderella Castle to the ground now?
If you want to argue that Cinderella's Castle is contributing to an ongoing problem with ...feudalism... you're going to need some strong ammunition. 😉

If we want to take a feminist angle, consider that it's called Cinderella's Castle, not Prince Whats-his-name's Castle. =) Kidding aside, Cinderella just isn't problematic in the same way as Song of the South. Cinderella's situation is depicted as something unfortunate that she doesn't like and doesn't deserve. She's not someone that is happy toiling away endlessly like a pack animal. While her path to a happy ending may not be the most empowering, she is always depicted as someone that wants and deserves better. Cinderella is a human being with agency and her inequality is literally the central problem in the film.

JGamer

Disney (and really Apple) is building their brand to appeal to a very specific type of customer. They need a younger generation to start filling their parks and are going to err on the side of that generation. They are happy to have any customer's money, but they won't cater to them. I am sure that for years Disney has known the film (and attraction) could be problematic and have been throwing around ideas. Splash Mountain is my favorite ride, but even my teenage daughter was questioning how it is still appropriate given what is going on today.

I said it earlier and I will repeat it, if you don't like it, don't go. Corporations don't owe you anything and you don't owe them anything. The Disney corporation of even the 1990s is long gone. It is never coming back. It is up to you to decide to embrace this new company or reject it.

The world is changing. What was acceptable even 15 years ago isn't acceptable now. Like it or not, that is just how it is.

Father Robinson

You keep saying that Disney is caving to a small group of complainers. What makes you think it’s a small group?
Pretty much what the MK takes in before 3pm.
20200626_063308.jpg

LittleBuford

The problem with this defence is that it flies in the face of the claim that the attraction has no real connection to Song of the South. For us to be able to learn from the past through Splash Mountain would entail acknowledging the problematic nature of its source material. And I’m not convinced that this sort of historical reflection is something that a theme park can convincingly facilitate.

orlandogal22

The problem with this defence is that it flies in the face of the claim that the attraction has no real connection to Song of the South. For us to be able to learn from the past through Splash Mountain would entail acknowledging the problematic nature of its source material. And I’m not convinced that this sort of historical reflection is something that a theme park can convincingly facilitate.

Speedy71 was responding to my initial generalized statement as follows -

Many things in life are connected to things that are unpleasant in our past; it is whether or not one chooses to inherently - and perpetually - dwell on the unpleasant so much so that we will be stuck in a constant cancel culture.

SirNim

If you want to argue that Cinderella's Castle is contributing to an ongoing problem with ...feudalism... you're going to need some strong ammunition. 😉
Feudalism existed until 2008 in Europe. More to the point, a little boy or girl born today in the UK will never have a chance to rise to become their nation's Head of State. Imagine that! Imagine telling a precocious, intelligent, curious little boy or girl that they can do anything they want in life... except rise to become the Head of State of their beloved nation. They're legally ineligible to rise to that position. Might put a damper on their dreams...

lazyboy97o

Almost always easier to shoot for the moon and scale a project cost back than the opposite. I know fans see it as a bait and switch but thats just how the game is played sometimes.
Right, and that always happens but it’s part of a process that results in a budget being established and commitment to a project. This project is getting its commitment before a lot of that work. Disney has even admitted that they have not even assessed the condition of the buildings. The cost to clean and bring up to code buildings that have spent 30 years filled with water is going to be high and could easily not be worthwhile compared to starting anew (and is a serious risk to the final product once the budget is established).

Last edited:

_caleb

I appreciate your points, please allow me to make a sub-point.

Splash Mountain isn't hurting anyone, it's association with a film is what is upsetting. We can already see how this is a much murkier territory than people who physically are unable to go on a ride. For example, you say this leads to a better experience for all, but I fail to see how that is the case. A group of people (at least equal to the ones that are offended) are saying this will drastically decrease their experience with a beloved ride.

Now, it is a completely subjective value, but how many people need to be offended before it demands action? That cant be answered, hence debate.

This also brings up other difficult questions. Can good art come from bad art? Is it better to build something new and keep it next to the old, or must one be torn down? This doesn't even approach questions such as Disney's legitimacy in their anti-racism statements when they continue to do flagrantly racist things in other countries, as long as it brings them more money. Hypocrisy deeply upsets some people.

I appreciate your perspective, thank you for reading my own.
Sorry- I somehow missed these questions earlier. I think they're good ones.

IF Disney can make a version of Splash Mountain that is less offensive to the offended portion of the market while being just as good as (or better) the experience for those who were not offended by Splash Mountain, wouldn't this be "a better experience for all?" I totally understand that many fans don't have a lot of reason to hope that Disney will be able to deliver this, but wouldn't it be something to strive for? It would certainly be something that would help their public image.

I'm not sure what percentage of the audience voicing concerns should prompt Disney to act (in its own interests, of course). But it seems to me that Disney is trying to read the trend and adapt accordingly. They've never seemed to worry too much about what the uber fans think, but they have put quite a bit of effort into engaging the "influencers" and their networks.

Disney certainly isn't considering doing an exhaustive audit of everything in the company that is racially insensitive- they're looking for a gesture that serves the purpose. I think changing Splash Mountain to Princess and the Frog is a pretty good one for that.

I love Disney art (animation, films, rides/parks), but at the end of the day, it's not art for art's sake. It's commercial art. They are selling art (and merch!) to an audience. This means that there is a "negotiation" of sorts between the company and the audience(s) to determine what art the audience is willing to buy. Disney is responding by betting the general public will prefer Tiana to Bre'r Rabbit.

LittleBuford

Speedy71 was responding to my initial generalized statement as follows -

Many things in life are connected to things that are unpleasant in our past; it is whether or not one chooses to inherently - and perpetually - dwell on the unpleasant so much so that we will be stuck in a constant cancel culture.

I don’t see how that contradicts the point I was making.

MickeyMouse10

But a Peco's Bill retheme doesn't make any sense for New Orleans Square because it extends too deep into Frontierland.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

“Look at me, I’m taking the moral high ground”.
Lol more like "I'm taking things in perspective" ground.

I've got no horse in this race because I could care less if they got rid of it so I'm just lurking. I've always found it interesting though the amount of passion people have over certain rides

The_Jobu

IF Disney can make a version of Splash Mountain that is less offensive to the offended portion of the market while being just as good as (or better) the experience for those who were not offended by Splash Mountain, wouldn't this be "a better experience for all?"

This is true, if it could be done, I just think its a very big "if". We will certainly see.

Personally, I think a new Tiana ride would better serve the park, but that is the most expensive option.

_caleb

I can choose not to support something (racism) while concurrently enjoying something else (a MK ride) on its solitary merits.

But I can respect your opinion.
Right. We all have to decide what we'll support and stand for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom