Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharon&Susan

The biggest outrage in all of this is that if they had to retheme Splash, they couldn't base it on the greatest (and most egregiously underrepresented at WDW) Disney movie of all time. By which, of course, I mean The Emperor's New Groove.
Only problem is that Frontierland takes place in North America, not South America. silly It was already a leap for Splash Mountain and now this, but at least the South used to be apart of the American frontier.

I wouldn't mind an ENG ride is Adventureland though. ;)

Last edited:

WDW Pro

I'm not trying to be noble. I'm trying to participate in conversation about a theme park ride with fellow fans of the theme parks. I don't understand the snide, mocking tone people keep taking. Don't you want to have a conversation?

I honestly would be interested to know your actual thoughts on Disney's responsibility to respond to social pressures. As an insider in the entertainment business, surely you can see the challenges of public backlash (in any direction). It seems clear to me that you don't think Disney should change Splash Mountain, but do you think there's ever a time to react/respond to public outcry? If so, what would be the determining factor for you?

Disney is an international corporation based in America that has historically supported western ideals and promulgated mythos supportive of individual responsibility towards morality. Disney has no responsibility to respond to any social pressures, but may do so in order to gain more capital or prevent loss of capital. Disney should and does follow certain principals that guide its actions, rather than relenting to changing mob mentality. I know of not one single person who has ever gone to Walt Disney World and determined that they would not ride Splash Mountain due to its alleged offensiveness. Not one. However, Disney has made a shrewd decision to modify the ride during a time when it will gain liberal clout for doing so, at a time when it needs liberal clout for its local Disneyland Resort which is facing significant scrutiny in its very liberal location. It likewise makes this decision knowing that princess merchandise sells more than Br'er Rabbit.

If Disney cared one iota about African Americans, they wouldn't have engaged in Chinese racist propaganda to shrink John Boyega on their advertisements. They never apologized. If Disney cared one iota about African Americans, they would invite inner city youth into their parks as part of some goodwill campaign to help children see a better option. If Disney cared one bit about oppressed minorities, they'd speak out against the concentration camps of China were millions are held in a system similar to the Russian gulags.

They don't do those things because they don't actually care. They do care about taking up liberal causes in the United States because they want pro-China administrations that keep products cheap due to quasi slave labor. And the twitterazi fall for it every single time.

_caleb

This isn't unreasonable at all. I do question if society is honest enough and mature enough to apply it fairly and equally though. I enforce regulations as part of my job. I find people aren't always thrilled when the shoe is on the other foot. Equality is obviously a good, noble purpose that should be strived for but I am not sure people always fully understand or appreciate what it really means.
Right. Or the cost (financially or otherwise). When adjustments require an "inconvenience" to others, sometimes that can actually be a very BIG inconvenience.

Lirael

The biggest outrage in all of this is that if they had to retheme Splash, they couldn't base it on the greatest (and most egregiously underrepresented at WDW) Disney movie of all time. By which, of course, I mean The Emperor's New Groove.
You know what? You're right. A fall that happens just after you hear Irma saying "Cronk, pull the lever" would be the pinnacle of experiences.

Or at least reenacting the canon falling down a waterfall scene in the movie. But that would be even more out of place in that MK area

_caleb

Disney is an international corporation based in America that has historically supported western ideals and promulgated mythos supportive of individual responsibility towards morality. Disney has no responsibility to respond to any social pressures, but may do so in order to gain more capital or prevent loss of capital. Disney should and does follow certain principals that guide its actions, rather than relenting to changing mob mentality. I know of not one single person who has ever gone to Walt Disney World and determined that they would not ride Splash Mountain due to its alleged offensiveness. Not one. However, Disney has made a shrewd decision to modify the ride during a time when it will gain liberal clout for doing so, at a time when it needs liberal clout for its local Disneyland Resort which is facing significant scrutiny in its very liberal location. It likewise makes this decision knowing that princess merchandise sells more than Br'er Rabbit.

If Disney cared one iota about African Americans, they wouldn't have engaged in Chinese racist propaganda to shrink John Boyega on their advertisements. They never apologized. If Disney cared one iota about African Americans, they would invite inner city youth into their parks as part of some goodwill campaign to help children see a better option. If Disney cared one bit about oppressed minorities, they'd speak out against the concentration camps of China were millions are held in a system similar to the Russian gulags.

They don't do those things because they don't actually care. They do care about taking up liberal causes in the United States because they want pro-China administrations that keep products cheap due to quasi slave labor. And the twitterazi fall for it every single time.
I'm not sure the Chinese government is impressed with efforts to remove racially insensitive associations in the parks, but I agree- the company's "values" are determined by what makes a profit. But that's why they do market research, isn't it? So maybe "responsibility" isn't the right word, but what percentage of guest/customer feedback do you think should cause Disney to respond and change?

WDW Pro

I'm not sure the Chinese government is impressed with efforts to remove racially insensitive associations in the parks, but I agree- the company's "values" are determined by what makes a profit. But that's why they do market research, isn't it? So maybe "responsibility" isn't the right word, but what percentage of guest/customer feedback do you think should cause Disney to respond and change?

Disney doesn't respond based on percentages of guest feedback. Disney responds based on money. Period.

lazyboy97o

But there’s little evidence to suggest otherwise given the $50 million budget thrown around and the recent trends with the company’s newer rides.
There is almost no chance this is true. Pixar Pier cost well north of double that amount. The project is likely not even at the point where budgets are actually solidified. If anything, the very early announcement could be a way to shoot for the moon.

Father Robinson

I've said my peace and argued my opinion plenty yesterday in this thread, as have many others. After all that has been said, I see no solid reason to change it. The current atmosphere in the country has stirred a quick moving storm that seeks out what can we pull down, deface, occupy, remove, change because its been identified by a few as offensive and many leaders have caved quickly to lawlessness.
Under different circumstances, say a couple years ago, if Disney presented a plan to revamp Splash with PatF overlay, I wouldn't have as much of an issue with it as I do now. Like I said yesterday in my original rant... the ride is almost 30 years old. It remains a very popular attraction in any park it is built.
I have a problem with it being thrown under the bus now... partly because I fear it will not not be enough. The outrage crowd will sense they can go for more, and will look to see what else they can get shut down. TWDC is a HUGE target. Like Martin said CBJ could be next.. followed by JC. The Brers will no longer be part of parades and the Oscar award winning song will never be played again inside the parks. With Lincoln, Washington, and Jefferson statues being ripped down and defaced... HoP could be a target as well... not just because of 45. Changing the ride does not solve or move us in a direction to solve the societal issues we are dealing with now. Actually as others have pointed out... if you over-analyze PatF movie, there are questions on its content too.

Where does this end?

Fortunately it looks like we will have an opportunity to enjoy one final Splash before the characters are retired for good. I hope Disney execs will make good on the change and create a spectacular overlay.
Beautifully put!!! And spot ON!!

MrHorse

Ummm...people are more informed about some things and less informed about others. The Lincoln statue in Boston being under attack even though it was paid for by freed slaves is a perfect example. The Brer characters and stories are from African folklore - and have been adapted all over the world in 14 languages.
Sure? Obviously everyone isn't an expert on everything. But the times are long gone when you can have something like a major theme park attraction and just assume most people won't know the history. There isn't any issue with the Brer characters. The issue is with the movie the ride is based on. From the character designs to the music, the ride pulls very directly from the film.

Erasing everything from our past that people might be offended by would result in a wasteland. There will come a point at which society will have no choice but to accept that no culture in the world is guilt-free, and that history is riddled with cultures being horrible to one another.
By the same token, if we don't try to improve things, progress will never be made and large groups of people will never see equality. No one is talking about erasing history. (Aside from maybe Disney's basically pretending they never made the film.) The movie isn't going away. The Uncle Remus stories certainly aren't going anywhere. We're just redesigning a theme park ride that revels in a whitewashed version of black history. We're removing one specific, problematic portrayal of the stories.

Father Robinson

I actually have known of people to be offended by the voodoo in PATF because of their religion. I personally think that is extreme but how should this issue be handled in the re-theme, if at all?
It can't be handled. Just the mere fact that it exists in the film and someone finds it offensive should be enough to scrap the idea. Racism is perceived in SotS, not portrayed, yet even though not a shred exists in the ride, the notion that its perception is in the film the ride represents the ride is being reimagined. So point is, if it offends someone these days, it's not safe.

SteamboatJoe

There is almost no chance this is true. Pixar Pier cost well north of double that amount. The project is likely not even at the point where budgets are actually solidified. If anything, the very early announcement could be a way to shoot for the moon.
Almost always easier to shoot for the moon and scale a project cost back than the opposite. I know fans see it as a bait and switch but thats just how the game is played sometimes.

spresso81

Pro you make some great points here. Appeasement is never a good strategy especially when used in a way that actually will not help anybody it is aimed at (African American social justice issues will not suddenly disappear because we do not join Brer Rabbit on his journey).

It will ultimately be very ironic if China nationalizes the Shanghai and Hong Kong parks after Disney has bent over backwards to put aside many of China’s labor, human rights and labor issues. If so, most of the people that put Disney is this place would have already left and profited off of these long term bad decisions.

gmajew

Premium Member
@marni1971 so does this decision mean frontierland will get a makeover? Since Princess & the Frog does not fit at all in this area of the park!!! No way do people change my mind on that one.... So is thunder and country bears days numbered?

gmajew

Premium Member
Almost always easier to shoot for the moon and scale a project cost back than the opposite. I know fans see it as a bait and switch but thats just how the game is played sometimes.

This project has to blow people out of the water to get so many to love it or be happy with the replacement.... This cannot be done on the cheap it has to set a new level of design and project for people to forget one of the best rides of all time...

21stamps

I'm glad you're looking at criticism of the Princess and the Frog. I think that's a valid concern and worth discussing. As with all stories (including Song of the South), there are different factors that we should consider. For example, the intent of the creators vs. the effect of the film (I don't think Disney filmmakers were trying to promote racism, but I do think the film perpetuates racist ideas).

We should also consider how the film is received by audiences. In the case of Princess and the Frog, the film was an attempt to create a story that featured African American characters in a way African Americans could identify with while also appealing to the mass-market. In that regard, it seems to have been successful. Building on that success (of creating something that connects with an audience), it makes sense to me that Disney would choose it as a replacement/overlay for Splash Mountain.

Also, thematically, it probably won't take as much work to fit the style.

I'm all for discussion about the merits of the film!

So it’s just popular opinion of the time? I feel that 99% of Disney Princesses fit into a sexist stereotype.. Do we accept that because the princess is black?

See how weird this gets when we over analyze a ride or attraction?

Father Robinson

can you see how these kinds of changes can result in a better experience for all?

Or at least recognize that Disney is trying to sell access to its art and being associated with racism is dangerous to their business.
No. I can't see how losing a beloved attraction because Disney caved and gave in to the (small group of) complainers, makes everyone happy.

And if Disney truly wants to not be associated with racism of any kind, like others have pointed out, they're a long way away from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom