Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flugell

Slavery and its legacies.
Yes like Welsh being forbidden from being spoken or taught in Welsh Schools Until the 1930s in many areas and the 1940s in some. Anyone heard speaking Welsh was given the Welsh knot and the cane. Not as bad but still unforgivable and within my parents life times.

Matt_Black

What's that have to do with race? NOTHING.

So, if I'm understanding the rules correctly, I'm supposed to explain how Splash Mountain draws on pre-existing prejudices and stereotypes, but I'm also supposed to divorce Splash Mountain from any pre-existing social context while doing so? Is that right? Splash Mountain didn't just emerge from Tony Baxter's head fully formed like Athena springing forth from Zeus.

ImperfectPixie

So, if I'm understanding the rules correctly, I'm supposed to explain how Splash Mountain draws on pre-existing prejudices and stereotypes, but I'm also supposed to divorce Splash Mountain from any pre-existing social context while doing so? Is that right? Splash Mountain didn't just emerge from Tony Baxter's head fully formed like Athena springing forth from Zeus.
The problematic parts of SotS aren't the animated characters.

celluloid

It's literally there in the ride. Rabbit runs away from home to find adventure, Fox tries to catch Rabbit to eat him instead of getting a job so that he has money to buy dinner, and Br'er Bear goes "duhhh..." in practically every other line of dialogue.

Yes, we are aware of the characters and their flaws, we went over that. That does not make them mocking a race when they are anthropormorphic animals. That makes it a fable. That would be like saying Scooby Doo is mocking English Americans or if you retell an Aesop Fable you are mocking the greek. You have only provided conjecture that it is racial stereotyping.
Not that it proves racism, but what dialogue in the ride tells you that Brer Fox does not want to ge ta job and hunts for Brer Rabbit so he does not have to get a job because he can sell him?

Matt_Black

Yes, we are aware of the characters and their flaws, we went over that. That does not make them mocking a race when they are anthropormorphic animals. That would be like saying Scooby Doo is mocking caucations. You have only provided conjecture that it is racial stereotyping.
Not that it proves racism, but what dialogue in the ride tells you that Brer Fox does not want to ge ta job and hunts for Brer Rabbit so he does not have to get a job because he can sell him?

He doesn't want to sell him, he wants to EAT him. He literally hangs Br'er Rabbit over a cartoonishly large cooking pot.

celluloid

He doesn't want to sell him, he wants to EAT him. He literally hangs Br'er Rabbit over a cartoonishly large cooking pot.

Did you even read what you wrote then? You said Fox tries to catch Rabbit to eat him instead of getting a job to pay for dinner. This tells me you must be a troll. What a crazy thing to write. What the heck? In your world these animals would have jobs or careers when no evidence of that is provided in the storyline? What are you smoking?

The fact that your one post said an anthropomorphic fox is a negative racially black stereotype and even though he is a fox would naturally infer he is hungry and want to catch and eat a rabbit, he should have a job instead? You are the most racism charged person I have ever read with injections of thought like that. Your evidence of Ber Fox being a racial stereotype is because he won't get a job.

Last edited:

BromBones

Next will they take the Native American scene out of Peter Pan?

Will they re-edit the movie Peter Pan to remove the same scene?
Will they re-edit Dumbo movie to remove the Jim Crow scene?

Will they eliminate the reference to the Civil War in Hall of Presidents?

Will they take every slave owning president out of the Hall of Presidents (Washington, Jefferson, etc.)?

There were a large number of presidents who owned slaves.
Will they eliminate Andrew Jackson? Will they eliminate Woodrow Wilson who was a very racist president?

If everything is offensive then everything should change right?

21stamps

Just like how you picked and chose which comments in the thread to selectively ignore (oh, I'm sorry, the thread moved too fast for you to keep up.)

What have I ignored, seriously?

Because you're using tactics that make having a real discussion with you impossible.
Exactly. I don’t even know what it is I’m being accused of sidestepping. It’s my fault, really—I should know better by now.

I didn’t realize that a question mark at the end of a sentence is a confusing thing. Oh well. Another successful avoidance...

Matt_Black

Did you even read what you wrote then? You said Fox tries to catch Rabbit to eat him instead of getting a job to pay for dinner. This tells me you must be a troll. What a crazy thing to write. What the heck? In your world these animals would have jobs or careers when no evidence of that is provided in the storyline? What are you smoking?

If there is no economy in Splash Mountain, then who makes all the clothes then? When you anthropomorphize animals and stick in pants and give them tools, then yes, these are logical (if admittedly very nerdy and pedantic) lines of questioning to follow.

celluloid

If there is no economy in Splash Mountain, then who makes all the clothes then? When you anthropomorphize animals and stick in pants and give them tools, then yes, these are logical (if admittedly very nerdy and pedantic) lines of questioning to follow.

That is not how storytelling works. You lost your arugment long ago...again. But if you wanted to go that route, why does Louis not have a job? Or Ray or the cast in Mama Odie's house? They are anthropomorphic, so textiles are the deciding factor of jobs needed? What a weird road. You sidestepped again. You provide zero evidence other than you notice the Fox in Splash Mountain does not have a job. Hilarious.

I am honestly shocked that you jumped to a characturized animal character not having a job. That is the single most racist thing I have seen anyone project out of this whacky 226 pages.

thomas998

The problematic parts of SotS aren't the animated characters.
Well that's what you would think... except according to the Woke Warriors the Uncle Remus characters of rabbit, fox and bear are a problem. Even if the SotS had never been made and only the cartoons had been made it would be a problem, because even though the stories were based on folktales handed down by blacks in America, the stories were put on paper by a white man that supposedly made the character sound too stereotypicaly black. It doesn't matter whether he capture the how the blacks at that time spoke, that isn't the issue... it is because by today's standards they sound too over the top and insulting to people today. It would be interesting to know if the original author that collected those stories had been black, if the warriors would still be on the war path.

BromBones

The fact that your one post said an anthropomorphic fox is a negative racially black stereotype and even though he is a fox would naturally infer he is hungry and want to catch and eat a rabbit, he should have a job instead? You are the most racism charged person I have ever read with injections of thought like that. Your evidence of Ber Fox being a racial stereotype is because he won't get a job.

You do know that James Baskett, a Black American provided the voice for the Fox. How can a Fox be a racist stereotype if it is being voiced by a Black Actor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom