Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_Black

It’s a myriad of things. For me personally, I wouldn’t have been as frustrated if they would have at least changed it to a theme fitting in Frontierland.. not sticking a princess on a ride. The move is patronizing and stinks of a lazy token change.. That’s what people like, I guess. 🤷‍♀️

The Deadlands: The Weird West rpg did a New Orleans boxed set, so if it's western enough for them, it's western enough for me. (Funnily enough, they're also getting some pushback from some fans after making changes to their setting.)

ImperfectPixie

The movie revels in the plantation aesthetic, the images of black "mammies" and "uncles" cooking and serving white people in their big house, and the black farmers dutifully gathering around the plantation to sing hymns and pray for the little white kid. The movie even begins with a musical salute to "I Wish I Was in Dixie". The fact that the movie is purportedly set after the black plantation workers had been freed is utterly incidental to the plot.
That does not negate the fact that the film didn't glorify slavery. Please stop conflating the prettying up of reconstruction with glorifying slavery. And if you've seen the film, the white plantation owner's wife is the most dis-likable character in the entire thing, so it's not as if even reconstruction was being "glorified".

Matt_Black

You referred to “people”. If your point pertained to a specific poster, you should have said so. Those other attractions have come up in this thread too, for what it’s worth.

And, as a matter of fact, I HAVE referenced other attractions in this thread prior to the Astro Orbiter joke. If you go back a few pages, I made note of how The Country Bear Jamboree draws on traditions and imagery of the medicine show and, to a lesser extent, the minstrel show.

21stamps

You referred to “people”. If your point pertained to a specific poster, you should have said so. Those other attractions have come up in this thread too, for what it’s worth.

Yes, in that specific comment I meant people here.. which I thought was obvious enough.

I can’t go read all of the conversations in other threads right now, so what’s the synopsis? The Disney of anyone’s youth who was born prior to 2001, is supposed to go away.. pretend like it never happened?

Matt_Black

Yes, in that specific comment I meant people here.. which I thought was obvious enough.

I can’t go read all of the conversations in other threads right now, so what’s the synopsis? The Disney of anyone’s youth who was born prior to 2001, is supposed to go away.. pretend like it never happened?

Yes. After we change the rides, we'll go around erasing everyone's minds with the Forget-inator, and then we shall RULE THE TRI-STATE AREA!
dr_doofenshmirtz.png

LittleBuford

If you’re genuinely interested, then you should go and read the threads.

thomas998

Cinderella: Emotionally abused slave who is kindly but does have more attitude than most people give her credit for. Her good nature is rewarded by a fairy appearing and giving her a chance to fulfill her dreams. She meets someone and falls in love and is rescued from her abusive situation.

Tiana: Young woman working two jobs to try to afford a restaurant. She's misunderstood her father's dreams and his most important lesson of dreaming but also living in the present with your loved ones, and is focused on fulfilling his dreams and nothing else. She gets the money, but the opportunity she had is taken away due to racism. Due to a misunderstanding she gets turned into a frog and goes through a journey to try to fix the situation. She and her fellow frog learn to appreciate each other and wind up falling in love. She learns the lesson her father wanted her to learn and becomes a far more rounded person. In the end she gets her restaurant and her love.

These are two completely different stories and arcs. Are you one of those "loose tan clothes on desert planet meant Rey is a cheap knockoff of Luke" people?

I wasn't referring to the story I was referring to the way the characters are drawn.

21stamps

Yes. After we change the rides, we'll go around erasing everyone's minds with the Forget-inator, and then we shall RULE THE TRI-STATE AREA!View attachment 480228

I’m being serious. Anything prior to that time period is problematic, some things after that time period are still problematic imo.., so do they need to get rid of all of it? Songs, attractions, characters, etc.,

Flugell

Hooray!! I’ve finally made it through every post and it’s only 2.30 am in the good old U.K. Now for my questions/ suggestions.
1. In Mary Poppins, Dick van had the worst cockney accent in living memory. I’m speaking as someone who was born a cockney but moved away as a baby - is that accent racist/offensive or just plain bad acting? I love the film, including Dick van and totally forgive him as I feel sure there was no intent to cause offence. There in lies the rub..... no intent. Others may feel that the character should have been played by a real cockney, such as Tommy Steel who could also sing and dance. I don’t know how I feel but I know I love the film and consider Feed the Birds one of the greatest ever Disney Songs. Ideas anyone?
2. I never realised that WDW was themed around American geography, so many apologies for that-I just thought that they were cool sounding names. However I have always felt that there was one film that would make the best ride ever, though now realise it would have to sit next to Peter Pan. In my head the carriages would be beds, with a crystal on the top that the CM would activate to send you on your way. A quick trip through Portobello Rd Market and then under the sea for the mad football match featuring zany animals , then into the castle where the armour comes to life and marches! I realise that the end of the film ends up fighting the Germans , which is most definitely not acceptable, though I don’t recall anyone dying and it was a very slapstick scene. Bed knobs and Broomsticks in case you haven’t guessed! Can you imagine that where Splash Mountain used to be😢?
Then Princess and the Frog can rightly take Its place with a purpose built ride and African Americans, indeed any African, Caribbean etc. Can finally feel included and valued rather than having to accept a remodel of one of Disney’s greatest rides. If Disney is serious about undoing wrongs and helping to create equality then patching something does not, in my opinion , go far enough. Again would welcome thoughts though may not read them immediately!

Matt_Black

So, no opinions here. Another direct question avoided. Got it.

I told you specifically what attraction. You type in "Jamboree" in the search function and toggle the "this thread" option to see the specific comment.

The Brer characters are adapted from African folklore.

Yes. Adapted. Filtered through the lens of white folklorist Joel Chandler Harris, and then further filtered by white screen writers.

21stamps

These are two completely different stories and arcs. Are you one of those "loose tan clothes on desert planet meant Rey is a cheap knockoff of Luke" people?

Both fit the classical Disney view on women- You can’t really be happy or find success until a man falls in love with you. At that point your life can start, possibilities open for you. No success until then, just a mess of running around or needing a fairy to help you..

celluloid

Why can’t I write a Disney star actors name? Ridiculous!

Ironic when we all know the real concern is intent. Thank you for that great post. It is nice to see more sense here. It really is the majority. It reminds me that the splash deal is sadly Bob Iger's ego and urge for revenue in these times for Magic Kingdom more than it is allowing for social justice. Your comparisons and opinions are well communicated and provide more realistic judgement or critique for Song of the South rather than hatred.
Just to clarify: Disneyland and Magic Kingdom were not themed Around American geography as much as the romantacized versionf of ideals. As Walt's speech by Mr. Sklar said on opening day it includes "The Hard Facts that have created America" that includes our love of old fairy and folk tales that help us. That is why I always felt Splash really fit right in to the romantacized frontier.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

So, no opinions here. Another direct question avoided. Got it.

You honestly expect me to summarise thousands of posts written by other people? You asked why the debate hadn’t encompassed other problematic attraction. It has, and I pointed you in the direction of one of the many threads in which such discussion is playing out.

If you’re asking what my personal views on the issue are, I am sad to see Splash Mountain go but understand why the change is happening, and I believe that a number of scenes in other attractions (the Indian encampment in Peter Pan and the natives in The Jungle Cruise in particular) also stand to be modified.

LittleBuford

Hooray!! I’ve finally made it through every post and it’s only 2.30 am in the good old U.K. Now for my questions/ suggestions.
1. In Mary Poppins, **** van **** had the worst cockney accent in living memory. I’m speaking as someone who was born a cockney but moved away as a baby - is that accent racist/offensive or just plain bad acting? I love the film, including **** van **** and totally forgive him as I feel sure there was no intent to cause offence. There in lies the rub..... no intent. Others may feel that the character should have been played by a real cockney, such as Tommy Steel who could also sing and dance. I don’t know how I feel but I know I love the film and consider Feed the Birds one of the greatest ever Disney Songs. Ideas anyone?
2. I never realised that WDW was themed around American geography, so many apologies for that-I just thought that they were cool sounding names. However I have always felt that there was one film that would make the best ride ever, though now realise it would have to sit next to Peter Pan. In my head the carriages would be beds, with a crystal on the top that the CM would activate to send you on your way. A quick trip through Portobello Rd Market and then under the sea for the mad football match featuring zany animals , then into the castle where the armour comes to life and marches! I realise that the end of the film ends up fighting the Germans , which is most definitely not acceptable, though I don’t recall anyone dying and it was a very slapstick scene. Bed knobs and Broomsticks in case you haven’t guessed! Can you imagine that where Splash Mountain used to be😢?
Then Princess and the Frog can rightly take Its place with a purpose built ride and African Americans, indeed any African, Caribbean etc. Can finally feel included and valued rather than having to accept a remodel of one of Disney’s greatest rides. If Disney is serious about undoing wrongs and helping to create equality then patching something does not, in my opinion , go far enough. Again would welcome thoughts though may not read them immediately!

Fellow Brit here. I don’t think a comparison between Cockneys and African Americans is particularly tenable, for reasons too obvious to need stating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom