Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

If Disney is going to eliminate everything that offends anyone...then the princesses have to go.

You would think.. but we’re so woke that replacing ‘African American stereotypes’ with ‘female stereotypes’ is a great victory, because the princess is black.
That’s how “progressive” we are.

21stamps

Oooooooo, I like where this is headed. Like I said, there is no line. Nothing is safe now that Disney opened Pandora's Box. Can't wait to see how they change the princesses.

There has yet to be a response to what to do with the princesses, from any of the “I understand why Splash is going/Splash needed to go” folks.

BromBones

Come to think of it...Frontier Land needs to go away because Mexican-Americans were lynched in the frontier.

Having a land that celebrates a culture that lynched Mexican-Americans ...that should be eliminated too right?

Matt_Black

Great quote, Now answer your incredibly racist answer to the question and defend your comment that Brer Fox is a racist steretype against black people because he will not get a job. What leads you to this conclusion? Why would you say that? What tells you that the character is supposed to be of the black race and choose not to get a job. Your feelings are not evidence.

I never said Br'er Fox, or any of the characters, were explicitly black. I DID say they evoke characteristics of stereotypes that have often been applied to black characters in film. Since I mentioned it before, let's draw a comparison between Br'er Fox and the goblins from Harry Potter.

The goblins are considered untrustworthy and run the banks. In and of itself, devoid of any context, this is rather innocuous. However, many have noted that goblins sound a lot like what anti-Semites have accused Jewish people of doing. Even if it wasn't intentional (and I don't believe that it was), stereotypes have an insidious way of worming their way into a person's psyche so deeply that you don't think anything of it, as I noted from my own personal experience.

21stamps

Come to think of it...Frontier Land needs to go away because Mexican-Americans were lynched in the frontier.

Having a land that celebrates a culture that lynched Mexican-Americans ...that should be eliminated too right?

The only solution is to level it all. With maybe the exception of Tomorrowland.. though CoP would have to go too.. can’t remind women of a time before they had equal rights.
HoP has to go too.. slave owners and Native American slayers.

Level it all. From CoP on... leave a corner of Tomorrowland. That’s what would be left afterwards.

BromBones

The only solution is to level it all. With maybe the exception of Tomorrowland.. though CoP would have to go too.. can’t remind women of a time before they had equal rights.

Level it all. From CoP on... leave a corner of Tomorrowland. That’s what would be left afterwards.

Correct. Read my post above about Carousel of Progress. "It's a great big beautiful tomorrow" in the 1900s, 20s and 40s....for who? Blacks were still being oppressed during those times right? It wasn't a great big beautiful tomorrow for them.

Matt_Black

One problem with this display, It’s not at all what was being discussed. However, it’s more convenient to pretend that Astro Orbiter was the discussion, and not actually other stories that we all know have problems with their origins.
Much easier to pretend they aren’t there.
Someone who gets it!! This is where I’m leading.. IF all Classic Disney is taken out of Disney World/Disneyland.. leaving all attractions with film and character representations from the last decade alone.. then will Disney really be the “Disney” that everyone wants to visit?
Without the nostalgia, then it’s just a park, no longer that bond between generations.. which is what makes it so magical.

madshuh.gif

Chi84

Premium Member
If Disney is going to eliminate everything that offends anyone...then the princesses have to go.
Actually they don’t. Disney doesn’t have to give reasons or be consistent. They can pick and choose what to keep and what to change without worrying about eliminating everything that offends anyone. They can do a little bit of good without having to eliminate everything that’s bad. That’s one of the benefits of owning a company - you can set policy and make decisions.

celluloid

Actually they don’t. Disney doesn’t have to give reasons or be consistent. They can pick and choose what to keep and what to change without worrying about eliminating everything that offends anyone. They can do a little bit of good without having to eliminate everything that’s bad. That’s one of the benefits of owning a company - you can set policy and make decisions.

True.
Or change something for revenue and avoid the fandom backlash with an Ace In The Hole reason and brag about how this is you moving forward as a company while demonizing something you were proud of until four days ago in the parks. Or as I call it, pulling a Ghostbusters 2016. If you anything less than love it, you are sexist.
If you don't care for this news and dislike the change, you are on the wrong side of history.

Chi84

Premium Member
True.
Or change something for revenue and avoid the fandom backlash with an Ace In The Hole reason and brag about how this is you moving forward as a company while demonizing something you were proud of until four days ago in the parks. Or as I call it, pulling a Ghostbusters 2016. If you anything less than love it, you are sexist.
If you don't care for this news and dislike the change, you are on the wrong side of history.
I don’t think they see it that way, but yes. They could do that.

21stamps

True.

I’m a woman, and I much prefer the original Ghostbusters!!! Then again, I hate patronizing “tokens”. Don’t replace something to appease me, give me a new story.

I don’t think they see it that way, but yes. They could do that.

Really? Here’s what it looks like..
“What can we do to prevent backlash from black Americans and show that we’re even better than all of the companies making statements and promises?“
“Let’s replace Splash with Tiana, a signal of repentance! People will cheer! There’s already a petition.”
“Sounds like a plan.”
“What about Native Americans?”
“Not much going on with that, society isn’t asking for anything there. Pocahontas is not replacing Peter Pan.”

If Splash Mountain was Disney’s only story with a problematic past, then I would be more inclined to see sincerity in the gesture. It isn’t, though. We all know that. Which is why this looks like a show.

FWIW, I usually get labeled as a “pixie duster” or “Disney defender” on these boards., I’m not someone who often criticizes them. I’m just someone who hates blatantly insincere actions.

21stamps

Speaking of Cancel Culture.. I’m up this late because I just finished watching a documentary called Square One.

If want to see how easily manipulated a mob is, by a disingenuous media and false stories, and how dangerous that mob can be.. then watch. It’s on Amazon Prime, free with subscription.. and on YouTube, no subscription needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom