Splash Mountain falling apart (literally?)

Bairstow

load/unload will look a bit different when the ride returns..

Wonder whether this means permanent tarps/nets or if the continuing delays caused by the lapbar checks has necessitated a redesign of the way the operators stand and the surrounding space.

MerlinTheGoat

load/unload will look a bit different when the ride returns..
I'll wait and see what you mean by different before passing judgement obviously. But I hope different still means well themed and matching the ride and atmosphere properly, as well as doing away with the ugly tarps.

MerlinTheGoat

That reminds me, because I heard that apparently Tokyo's version of Splash has an enclosed loading area (or partially so at least). I've not seen for sure though, so correct me if i'm wrong. Could that possibly be what will happen with WDW's loading area?

PeterAlt

Now that the ride is positively under an extensive 3-month rehab, let's attempt to change the tone of this thread to a positive one. There's no details being discussed as to what this rehab will fix. What fixes have been confirmed? What fixes are rumored? What is the estimated budget for this rehab?

We should be happy that finally something is getting done! But all I'm seeing is chronic pessimism, grumpiness, and distrust!

SirLink

Now that the ride is positively under an extensive 3-month rehab, let's attempt to change the tone of this thread to a positive one. There's no details being discussed as to what this rehab will fix. What fixes have been confirmed? What fixes are rumored? What is the estimated budget for this rehab?

We should be happy that finally something is getting done! But all I'm seeing is chronic pessimism, grumpiness, and distrust!

Why? Why should we be happy - this should of happened a long time ago( and be maintained up to this point), the last time there was a decent refurb of a classic was HM and HoP and that was what 5-6years ago...until it is fixed I wouldn't act all positive...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Why? Because the attraction was allowed to rot? Because the building itself still has issues?
Wait until we see the finished result. And if its maintained. Then give TDO a yay or nay.

MerlinTheGoat

Basically everyone is singing praises that the refurb MIGHT be a good one, not really being negative at all either. The keyword here is "might". It doesn't pay to assume anything at this point in time, we'll see what condition the ride is in when it reopens to the public. If it's show ready, i'll give praise. If it's not, i won't.

The point people are trying to make (and it's a realistic fact, not a pessimistic) is simply that the ride should not have been allowed to deteriorate to point of rotting away in the first place. Both third shift work as well as giving it short but proper refurbs for the past few years likely would have prevented these problems. There was once a time when making sure the parks and attractions didn't get into this condition in the first place was a point of pride with the company. The standard was simply a "given" with Disney (quality that was associated with the very name of Disney), and it's one the company set for themselves. And that's how it should be.

I'm ready and willing to shift my perspective into a more positive one in regards to maintenance should this signal better management at WDW. But i'm realistically neutral and wary for the moment while I monitor things for a bit. As Martin said, we need this refurb to be both a success and to ensure that afterwards the upkeep is a sustained effort to keep it that way (not just a short term fix that will quickly fall back into disrepair once the refurb is done). And I hope that is the case. If this Splash refurb is a resounding success, you'll hear me praise it. Same with anything else.

ParentsOf4

Basically everyone is singing praises that the refurb MIGHT be a good one, not really being negative at all either. The keyword here is "might". It doesn't pay to assume anything at this point in time, we'll see what condition the ride is in when it reopens to the public. If it's show ready, i'll give praise. If it's not, i won't.
I'm confident Splash Mountain will be "better" after the refurb. The question is will Splash Mountain be "excellent" or "good enough". Too often lately, WDW seems to settle for "good enough".

MerlinTheGoat

I'm confident Splash Mountain will be "better" after the refurb. The question is will Splash Mountain be "excellent" or "good enough". Too often lately, WDW seems to settle for "good enough".
Aye agreed. I'm sure there's no chance in hell it will be worse than before. And with what several insiders have said in this thread about it, i'm even at least willing to give the benefit of the doubt until I see the results. I'm more than ready and willing to praise this if they get one of my favorite attractions ever back in the shape it should be in. :)

MerlinTheGoat

It usually is. Google for photos of past refurbs.
Hey Martin, do you happen to know when the last major refurb Splash received took place? I know it didn't get one at all last year, and early 2011 it only closed so they could install the lap bars (I don't think they even touched anything structural or show wise). When was the most recent time that it was in show ready condition? When I returned to WDW in fall 2010 after having stopped going since 1997, I found that Splash had become a huge mess during my absence (and has only gotten worse since then). I'm just wondering when in particular Splash's condition began seriously spiraling out of control (or maybe it had already started when I last visited in '97 and I didn't notice yet). No need to be specific, just a general point in time.

MerlinTheGoat

Hm thanks. If it was 2010 when it last received a refurb, either they didn't actually do all that much during the rehab or it took an alarmingly short time for things to start breaking again. I visited in September of 2010 and the ride showed very visible signs of disrepair. Tons of animatronic figures were missing a substantial amount of their movement and looking rather ragged, most things in the ride looked rather dingy, and the laughing place was missing a lot of its water features already (such as the turtle fountains and if I recall correctly some of the jumping fountains). Though a lot of these issues looked like they had been present for some time prior, I wouldn't be surprised if the 2010 refurb wasn't all that thorough. Unless the ride can simply get that way very quickly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom