Splash Mountain falling apart (literally?)

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Really? I've read that Tokyo's weather is almost identical to Orlando's. I'm probably wrong, but I've heard that many times.

Tokyo's weather is more like Washington DC's. That's why DC was given the Cherry Blossom trees that surround the tidal basin. The weather in DC is so much like Japan's that they flourish despite not being native.

I was at TDL this past Februrary for three days. Average high was in the upper 40s, lows low enough for frost to form.

Alektronic

Does that mean you've heard something about the AA's being fixed? Or are you just assuming they will be given that this is a major refurb?

I agree with the tarps comment, they definitely need to go. But i'm judging the refurb on everything being fixed, not just the tarps, not just the AA's, everything needs to be show ready. There's also a lot of audio is in bad condition as well and needs serious attention. Water effects need correcting. Even some lighting needs some work IMO.

Aye. I'm actually not 100% sure whether Orlando's even at their best are supposed to move that smooth. It's been a very long time since I rode Splash when everything was working as it should. I do know that Orlando's are supposed to move far better than they have been lately though, many are almost or completely stationary at last check (or in some cases missing entirely from the ride). I know they move at least as well as Disneyland's at their best. Regardless it warms the heart to see a version of the ride that is in proper working order. It's such a great ride, I hope WDW's can get back to where it needs to be.

Insiders- ARE Orlando's animatronics capable of the same range of motion that Tokyo's are?

The AA figures are all the same, they all just basic A2, A4, A5 figures. They are all capable of the same motions and movements. It all depends on the programming, they can programmed to be real smooth and fast or slow or anything in between.

TDL and DLR both have dedicated AA departments, where all they work on is just AA figures and the systems. WDW has anybody working on them, with a lot of them not know what they are doing. At MK, they used to have dedicated team that took care of AA problems on 3rd shift but they got rid of them.

Another thing, the programming can be easily changed. Local maintenance workers can change if they think it going too fast or if it tearing the skin or costume. It easier to change it instead of fixing the real problem. Or if they put in the wrong part or just adjusted it wrong. Sometimes if you just make a 1/16 turn wrong on a jam nut on a LVDT, it could cause a figure to bind or not move properly or cause other problems further down the line.

The Empress Lilly

Yep...
image-jpg.28382
View attachment 28382
Wow...gorgeous! :eek:

Much as I love WDW's subtropical climate, I must admit snow becomes Disney castles. And look at all those trees in the hub! Magical!

ToTBellHop

so what are the expectations for this ride when this refurb is all said and done?
The only reasonable expectation is that it'll be wet. Beyond that, this is the lengthiest refurb Splash has had in a long time and they certainly started work quickly on this. I have high hopes that it'll be back to show ready. However, for reasons discussed here, who knows how long it will STAY show ready...

Bairstow

Anyone know definitively if the tarps will be gone when all is said and done?

That probably hasn't been decided yet.
My gut feeling says they'll remain up, for safety's sake, or may possibly be replaced with a more permanent rope net as under the Tree of Life.

pumpkin7

I can't believe people are worrying about the tarps when the ride itself is in such a state! I would much rather have a fully working, Tokyo esque Splash Mountain with a tarp than have no tarp and have it in it's current state. Tokyo's Splash blows WDW's Splash out the water (excuse the pun!). That will never do.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I can't believe people are worrying about the tarps when the ride itself is in such a state! I would much rather have a fully working, Tokyo esque Splash Mountain with a tarp than have no tarp and have it in it's current state. Tokyo's Splash blows WDW's Splash out the water (excuse the pun!). That will never do.

The tarp is related to the sub par quality. Hence the worry. The refurb should fix it all and the ride should look new again. The fact that it won't happen like that frustrates people.

MerlinTheGoat

And i'd rather everything be fixed, inside and out, including the tarps/AA's/paint/etc. No exceptions. A ride should look and function as it was intended in every way.

Atomicmickey

Yes, I agree, the tarps are part of "everything". And if it isn't possible to build
something a couple stories high without pieces falling off it, well, someone
at Disney had better alert all the major cities of the world.

Fix it, Disney. Just fix it.

ExtinctJenn

The only reasonable expectation is that it'll be wet. Beyond that, this is the lengthiest refurb Splash has had in a long time and they certainly started work quickly on this. I have high hopes that it'll be back to show ready. However, for reasons discussed here, who knows how long it will STAY show ready...
I'd have to agree. I have zero expectations about this refurb other than the paint being spruced up and continuing to get splashed while falling down a mountain. Beyond that, it's a wait and see for me. Unlike other refurbs (i.e. test track) this one is a true refurb not a redo so I have no real emotions around it. :D

ebof1023

Personally I feel that when this is all said and done we are going to be pleases with what has been done...splash is a staple attraction at WDW and they didn't want to have it down which is why it is in the state it's in...I think the people in charge know this and are going to hopefully fix splash to its former glory!

ToTBellHop

Personally I feel that when this is all said and done we are going to be pleases with what has been done...splash is a staple attraction at WDW and they didn't want to have it down which is why it is in the state it's in...I think the people in charge know this and are going to hopefully fix splash to its former glory!
I would agree with you if the previous refurb in 2011 resulted in a sparkling attraction and the current issues were merely due to a lack of a 2012 refurb. But, that isn't the case.

dreamscometrue

TDL and DLR both have dedicated AA departments, where all they work on is just AA figures and the systems. WDW has anybody working on them, with a lot of them not know what they are doing. At MK, they used to have dedicated team that took care of AA problems on 3rd shift but they got rid of them.

Is that something that George K. could bring back, or will he not have that kind of power?

MerlinTheGoat

I would hope so certainly. It had downtime in 2011 for the lap bar installation and yet didn't receive any TLC whatsoever. I'm really not sure when the last time was that it had a refurb that really addressed any of the major show elements.

It's a number of reasons that contribute to my worry. The short time frame considering what needs to be fixed (and compared to BTM's lengthy refurb), lackluster recent refurbs that failed to correct major show elements (Big Thunder), plus the worry that WDW leadership doesn't even care to give it the refurb it deserves and needs. I hope they blow my expectations away (in a good way) and prove my worries completely moot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom