Splash Mountain falling apart (literally?)

Jakester

Sorry to say that I didn't save anything. Perhaps someone else has some old links. Sometime in the past someone I believe posted one on these forums. No clue where though. I remember one of the pictures in particular though was of the Toon Town billboard and tons of peeling paint all over it. And it wasn't just something that the camera had to zoom in to see, there were pictures showing it from a distance and you could still see large parts of the damage clearly. I've looked for the pictures via google, found some threads about what I'm guessing is that exact scenario i'm talking about but the pictures seem to be down. The discussion is still there-
http://www.mouseinfo.com/forums/dis...aint-toontown-dlr-photo-update-8-16-03-a.html

Reading some of the responses on both sides of the argument is eerily similar to what's happening here in this thread and these forums in general. But essentially there was just as much badmouthing about Disneyland and its upkeep as there is now for WDW. Possibly more so given the rather hardcore fanbase that Disneyland has.

Partially unrelated, but in regards to some of the comments earlier in this thread here's something that kind of shows you how Disneyland fans are no less grumpy when their park is mismanaged by someone. Scroll down to the part involving Paul Pressler, it talks about how people defaced a paver dedicated to him-
http://www.mouseplanet.com/archive/update28.htm

I found another Al Lutz article that covers another part of the Pressler era. Again lots of parallels with what is discussed on these forums lately as well as some information about some apparent cleanups of certain attractions after they went through serious maintenance problems-
http://www.mouseplanet.com/archive/update28.htm
Thanks for the reply, and Links

MerlinTheGoat

Thanks for the reply, and Links
Sure. Sorry I couldn't find the original one I talked about with working pictures. But with google it's easy to find lots of old articles or threads involving really poor maintenance and fan complaints about Disneyland during the Paul Pressler era. I'd say the fanbase for WDW doesn't compare to Disneyland's fans in terms of anger and loyalty when someone messes with their parks. I'd say WDW's is downright mellow and indifferent compared to that. I don't blame the Disneyland fans for how they felt during that era at all. I feel much the same about WDW that they do about Disneyland (not to the extent of wanting to deface property but I can identify with the feeling of indignation at having something you love so disrespected and abused by poor leadership).

PeterAlt

That's good to know.

Good work should be met with praise, I wouldn't question that. As I've said numerous times, i'm ready and willing to give this refurb praise if it turns out well in the end (as i'm sure many people in this thread would likely agree upon). But bad work is almost never improved by praising it. If you have an employee that does a bad job for example and dole out the praise to them, they'll likely see that as a signal that you're an easy target for manipulation and that they can get away with it plus still get paid (and they may get even worse at their job the easier you make it for them). Being hard on them tends to garner more results. The same results also apply to kids who either aren't performing well in school or whom won't behave and obeying their parents.

Walt Disney himself was well known to be hard on his own employees for the record. He had little to no tolerance for someone not doing their job as he wanted them to and would dole out harsh criticism to them when he felt like it. The results are unquestionable too, his perfectionism resulted in incredible quality in pretty much everything he was involved in.
See, but we're thinking they're guilty before they're even able to commit crime. In this country, we're innocent until proven guilty and somebody has to actually commit a crime before it's taken to court. Here, a crime hasn't even been committed "yet"' but we're still dragging them to a court where it's already been decided: "GUILTY!" Yes, they've been guilty in the past but the Statute of Limitations has run out and that "crime" wasn't even committed by the same people that's in charge now! Looking at the most recent projects: FLE, TT2, TSM, ST2, etc., I'd say they've been doing a lot better than before!

You mentioned the team in CA and the problems they were having under Cynthia Harris and Paul Pressler. You offered that as a point of comparison to the current team at WDW. I'm not defending the current FL team, but you can't compare them to what CA had. It was pretty bad over there. At its worse, they would have loved to have traded those problems with the "problems" we currently face!

Oh, by the way, I lied earlier. I said I wasn't targeting anyone specific, when I referred to the caricature of grumpy WDW fans as fictitious. Well, that's not true. There is someone that I am specifically addressing. Scratch that. There's TWO people specifically that I speak about. The two I speak of are by far amongst the grumpiest people I've ever known! Yes, they're out there... In the audience... In the Box Seats, over there, down below... Oh, there they are!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
See, but we're thinking they're guilty before they're even able to commit crime. In this country, we're innocent until proven guilty and somebody has to actually commit a crime before it's taken to court. Here, a crime hasn't even been committed "yet"' but we're still dragging them to a court where it's already been decided: "GUILTY!" Yes, they've been guilty in the past but the Statute of Limitations has run out and that "crime" wasn't even committed by the same people that's in charge now! Looking at the most recent projects: FLE, TT2, TSM, ST2, etc., I'd say they've been doing a lot better than before!

You mentioned the team in CA and the problems they were having under Cynthia Harris and Paul Pressler. You offered that as a point of comparison to the current team at WDW. I'm not defending the current FL team, but you can't compare them to what CA had. It was pretty bad over there. At its worse, they would have loved to have traded those problems with the "problems" we currently face!

Oh, by the way, I lied earlier. I said I wasn't targeting anyone specific, when I referred to the caricature of grumpy WDW fans as fictitious. Well, that's not true. There is someone that I am specifically addressing. Scratch that. There's TWO people specifically that I speak about. The two I speak of are by far amongst the grumpiest people I've ever known! Yes, they're out there... In the audience... In the Box Seats, over there, down below... Oh, there they are!

You're talking apples and oranges here. The stuff that you bring up that has been added was NOT added by TDO but was forced on them by Burbank.

Team Disney Orlando HAS been responsible for cutting maintenance budgets to the bone in order to justify large yearly bonuses for their selves.

MerlinTheGoat

The projects you mentioned were all essentially forced upon the leadership team at WDW. It has been reported by the insiders here that TDO didn't want anything to do with the Fantasyland Expansion, it was forced on them by Burbank. WDW's leaders were kicking and screaming the entire way and constantly fighting to get the budget mutilated, which they apparently succeeded in doing in ways. Test Track 2.0 was funded exclusively by GM as also well known here, Disney didn't really have a hand in paying for that one at all. Star Tours 2.0 was also forced upon WDW by Burbank against their will like the FLE. Toy Story Mania I don't know the story of, odds are it was also forced upon WDW management against their will. And I wouldn't personally say I was impressed by it regardless (probably the most disappointing ride i've ever waited in a ridiculously long line for).

In terms of maintenance, WDW in recent years has easily been as bad or worse than Disneyland was during the Pressler/Harris days. While other parks have improved around the world since Eisner left the company (even Disneyland Paris in the recent past was given a massive cleanup in time for its anniversary), WDW has stayed the same and its problems have escalated. There's a discrepancy among the way WDW and DL are now run. Largely because WDW management hasn't been policed by Burbank and were allowed to run around with their budget cutting policies unchecked. Only very recently have we seen any indication that the parents are starting to watch the kids more closely on the WDW side of things. Hopefully this continues as WDW receives new leadership and the refurbishment of the parks escalates.

The biggest difference between DL and WDW management woes is the unfortunate deaths that ended up occurring at DL due to poor maintenance. However, especially in regards to the Columbia incident, it has largely been luck that has prevented a similar tragedy at WDW thus far. At WDW in the past year or so there have been at least two instances of concrete that broke off and fell in guest-frequented areas on Tree of Life and Splash Mountain due to improper maintenance (not to mention the light that fell on the track at Everest). Tree of Life's rock thankfully fell after hours when the park was closed, but could just as easily have broken off during park hours. Splash Mountain's fell in the loading area while the ride was open and operating with guests in the area, it apparently fell in the canal (the ride was closed for the day afterwards). It could have easily have hit someone and injured or possibly killed them had it not fallen in that brief instance when a log wasn't under that position. The dangerous situations at DL and WDW both had fatal potential, it was simply chance that has prevented such a situation at WDW.

I brought those dark days at DL up as an example of how DL fans are NOT mellow people by any stretch like you suggested they are. When given something to complain about, they do it very loudly. And prior to its refurb, Indiana Jones has been a target of their criticism in recent years. Hell, it was a Disneyland fan on Micechat that took the recent pictures of Maelstrom's deplorable condition while on a vacation to WDW. If anything they're much more organized and outspoken about their indignation and anger than WDW fans when their park is threatened by cheapness (rightfully so). When incompetent maintenance actually threatens the safety of guests, it's completely understandable for people to become angry.

I've levied criticism about the management team of the past several years. It's relatively well known who to blame in those instances. I'm not going to criticize the future management team unless they continue down this same path. And as stated multiple times, I'm willing to give this Splash refurb a chance and see what happens when it opens. And i'm going to be monitoring WDW's progress over the next year or two to see whether WDW's new president and the potential new management team Lee has mentioned will continue the maintenance fix ups.

openendedsky

The projects you mentioned were all essentially forced upon the leadership team at WDW. It has been reported by the insiders here that TDO didn't want anything to do with the Fantasyland Expansion, it was forced on them by Burbank. WDW's leaders were kicking and screaming the entire way and constantly fighting to get the budget mutilated, which they apparently succeeded in doing in ways. Test Track 2.0 was funded exclusively by GM as also well known here, Disney didn't really have a hand in paying for that one at all. Star Tours 2.0 was also forced upon WDW by Burbank against their will like the FLE. Toy Story Mania I don't know the story of, odds are it was also forced upon WDW management against their will. And I wouldn't personally say I was impressed by it regardless (probably the most disappointing ride i've ever waited in a ridiculously long line for).

In terms of maintenance, WDW in recent years has easily been as bad or worse than Disneyland was during the Pressler/Harris days. The biggest difference being the unfortunate deaths that ended up occurring at DL due to poor maintenance. However, especially in regards to the Columbia incident, it has largely been luck that has prevented a similar tragedy at WDW thus far. At WDW in the past year or so there have been at least two instances of concrete that broke off and fell in guest-frequented areas on Tree of Life and Splash Mountain due to improper maintenance (not to mention the light that fell on the track at Everest). Tree of Life's rock thankfully fell after hours when the park was closed, but could just as easily have broken off during park hours. Splash Mountain's fell in the loading area while the ride was open and operating with guests in the area, it apparently fell in the canal (the ride was closed for the day afterwards). It could have easily have hit someone and injured or possibly killed them had it not fallen in that brief instance when a log wasn't under that position. The dangerous situations at DL and WDW both had fatal potential, it was simply chance that has prevented such a situation at WDW.

I brought those dark days at DL up as an example of how DL fans are NOT mellow people by any stretch like you suggested they are. When given something to complain about, they do it very loudly. And prior to its refurb, Indiana Jones has been a target of their criticism in recent years. Hell, it was a Disneyland fan on Micechat that took the recent pictures of Maelstrom's deplorable condition while on a vacation to WDW. If anything they're much more organized and outspoken about their indignation and anger than WDW fans when their park is threatened by cheapness (rightfully so). When incompetent maintenance actually threatens the safety of guests, it's completely understandable for people to become angry.

I've levied criticism about the management team of the past several years. It's relatively well known who to blame in those instances. I'm not going to criticize the future management team unless they continue down this same path. And as stated multiple times, I'm willing to give this Splash refurb a chance and see what happens when it opens. And i'm going to be monitoring WDW's progress over the next year or two to see whether WDW's new president and the potential new management team Lee has mentioned will continue the maintenance fix ups.

These two baffle me especially, since the park is still kind of a baby. I don't know the details with the Yeti on Everest, considering I haven't been to the park since the year of its opening, but it is kind of a head scratcher for me.

MerlinTheGoat

These two baffle me especially, since the park is still kind of a baby. I don't know the details with the Yeti on Everest, considering I haven't been to the park since the year of its opening, but it is kind of a head scratcher for me.
I believe the light that fell on Everest was supposedly placed beside the tracks in a position after you exit the cave but right before the train re-enters the load/unload station. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong. I believe it was a work light though, not a permanent fixture, and it was left there and apparently not entirely secure. So less to do with ride upkeep and more to do with maintenance just leaving tools out and unsecured. I may not have the entire story (or the correct one), but I heard the light fell across the tracks and a train ran into it. I don't know whether it hurt anyone though or any other specifics. Again, insiders can correct me if I'm mistaken on anything (which I may be, I only vaguely remember the conversation about it).

As for the Tree of Life, well parks and attractions still need decent upkeep even after only 15 years or so.

openendedsky

I believe the light that fell on Everest was supposedly placed beside the tracks in a position after you exit the cave but right before the train re-enters the load/unload station. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong. I believe it was a work light though, not a permanent fixture, and it was left there and apparently not entirely secure. So less to do with ride upkeep and more to do with maintenance just leaving tools out and unsecured. I may not have the entire story (or the correct one), but I heard the light fell across the tracks and a train ran into it. I don't know whether it hurt anyone though or any other specifics. Again, insiders can correct me if I'm mistaken on anything (which I may be, I only vaguely remember the conversation about it).

As for the Tree of Life, well parks and attractions still need decent upkeep even after only 15 years or so.
This is true, and like everybody's been saying, it is Florida and I'm sure the weather can accelerate decay. And that does make more sense, thanks for clarifying.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Zi
zippidy doo da zippidy day my oh my what a wonderful day! Plenty of sunshine, plenty of ???? Zippidy doo da zippidy day!

Now sing that 10 times fast (I'm talking to the grumps out there) and maybe you'll be a little less grumpy!

I see now why DL is the "happiest place on earth" but not WDW... It's all about the people.
Come back three months after the ride reopens and hopefully you can act like this then.

Alektronic

In terms of maintenance, WDW in recent years has easily been as bad or worse than Disneyland was during the Pressler/Harris days. While other parks have improved around the world since Eisner left the company (even Disneyland Paris in the recent past was given a massive cleanup in time for its anniversary), WDW has stayed the same and its problems have escalated. There's a discrepancy among the way WDW and DL are now run. Largely because WDW management hasn't been policed by Burbank and were allowed to run around with their budget cutting policies unchecked. Only very recently have we seen any indication that the parents are starting to watch the kids more closely on the WDW side of things. Hopefully this continues as WDW receives new leadership and the refurbishment of the parks escalates.

The biggest difference between DL and WDW management woes is the unfortunate deaths that ended up occurring at DL due to poor maintenance. However, especially in regards to the Columbia incident, it has largely been luck that has prevented a similar tragedy at WDW thus far. At WDW in the past year or so there have been at least two instances of concrete that broke off and fell in guest-frequented areas on Tree of Life and Splash Mountain due to improper maintenance (not to mention the light that fell on the track at Everest). Tree of Life's rock thankfully fell after hours when the park was closed, but could just as easily have broken off during park hours. Splash Mountain's fell in the loading area while the ride was open and operating with guests in the area, it apparently fell in the canal (the ride was closed for the day afterwards). It could have easily have hit someone and injured or possibly killed them had it not fallen in that brief instance when a log wasn't under that position. The dangerous situations at DL and WDW both had fatal potential, it was simply chance that has prevented such a situation at WDW.

After the BTRR accident at DLR, everything changed with the current maintenance system. Legal and Safety are involved in everything. When accidents occured at DLR, there were major changes. When the accidents happen at WDW, especially 2 CM deaths on the same ride, Primeval Whirl, nothing much changed at all.

Bairstow

Wasn't aware two people had died working on Primeval Whirl.
Were both of them due to employees being where they shouldn't have been?

Rob562

Wasn't aware two people had died working on Primeval Whirl.
Were both of them due to employees being where they shouldn't have been?

If I recall correctly, one was a Maintenance CM that fell while the ride was closed for refurb.
The other one was a CM working on the platform who walked off the edge of the platform at Load and hit their head as they fell the 5 or 6 feet to the ground.

-Rob

flynnibus

Premium Member
If I recall correctly, one was a Maintenance CM that fell while the ride was closed for refurb.
The other one was a CM working on the platform who walked off the edge of the platform at Load and hit their head as they fell the 5 or 6 feet to the ground.

-Rob

knocked off.. she was in the exclusion zone and got knocked off.. hit her head and sustained fatal injuries. The other was a CM who was working on the track area and fell.

@Alektronic - unfortunately.. the big difference is CMs vs guests in the deaths :/

I mean when we add in the actor who fell off a simple stage and dies.. and then add the kid running into the bus.. it was a nasty nasty period. But how much can you attest to 'way of working' - which is what make the DLR changes so necessary.

MerlinTheGoat

Aye, I definitely know that the deaths apparently caused a shift in the way DL was managed, at least in part (not sure if there was anything else at work there). Though it seems to be related largely to who it is that gets killed (guest or cast), as well as the cause. The deaths at WDW I gather haven't been linked to maintenance neglect like they were at Disneyland. One person was killed on Columbia at DL due to a rope or something snapping off and hitting them due to being attached to rotting wood. Another death at DL I gather was when Big Thunder derailed due to again failure to properly inspect something during maintenance.

The accidents at WDW weren't attributed to improper maintenance. And besides the bus incidents (which I don't know whether it was anyone's fault for those), it was all cast member deaths. As I said, there have been some real close shaves involving guests and falling scenery that could have easily lead to deaths if not for sheer luck preventing it. But nothing has actually happened yet to cause any lawsuits from guests or whatnot.

If some sort of incident like the ones at Disneyland DID occur at WDW, I wonder if the results would end up happening as well. It's sad that it escalated to death before any sort of change actually occurred at DL. I don't want the same tragedy to happen at WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom