Splash Mountain falling apart (literally?)

Yert3

After watching a few videos of Tokyo's Splash, I see it has an indoor loading area. Why didn't Florida do that? Considering it gets so hot and humid there.

Bairstow

After watching a few videos of Tokyo's Splash, I see it has an indoor loading area. Why didn't Florida do that? Considering it gets so hot and humid there.

I've always assumed the loading area in Florida was left open intentionally, to let the ground and area around it dry faster when wet guests exit and walk around.

Supposedly the Tokyo version of Splash Mountain is a lot less, er, splashy, so the water falling off the guests isn't as much of a concern.
Also, it's a lot colder there for much of the operating season.

http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/2010/06/splash_mountain_part_one_1.html

Oh, and dig the Japanese version of the audio.
They've got some kind of new narrator/safety spiel owl:

COProgressFan

Don't know about Tokyo, but the tarps are ridiculous and don't belong.

Funny story, when I was younger, in pre-Fast Pass days, we usually went to WDW in the summer, and due to crowds usually never made it onto Splash until the line was short late at night. For the longest time I actually thought we were inside...since we had entered the barn in the queue, and going down the path in the cave toward boarding was so heavily air conditioned (felt so good) I just figured load was inside too.

That was some Disney magic ... but tacky tarps are not magical.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
You can fully grasp of the ride's condition by looking at it while closed. All the exposed areas with chipped paint... At least scaffolding was up and people were on the drop doing some work. (Either on the drop or at the very top)

MerlinTheGoat

The AAs are a given....I hope.
The tarps remaining means they've given up on the problem. That won't do.
Does that mean you've heard something about the AA's being fixed? Or are you just assuming they will be given that this is a major refurb?

I agree with the tarps comment, they definitely need to go. But i'm judging the refurb on everything being fixed, not just the tarps, not just the AA's, everything needs to be show ready. There's also a lot of audio is in bad condition as well and needs serious attention. Water effects need correcting. Even some lighting needs some work IMO.

I didn't even know the animatronics could move that much...
Aye. I'm actually not 100% sure whether Orlando's even at their best are supposed to move that smooth. It's been a very long time since I rode Splash when everything was working as it should. I do know that Orlando's are supposed to move far better than they have been lately though, many are almost or completely stationary at last check (or in some cases missing entirely from the ride). I know they move at least as well as Disneyland's at their best. Regardless it warms the heart to see a version of the ride that is in proper working order. It's such a great ride, I hope WDW's can get back to where it needs to be.

Insiders- ARE Orlando's animatronics capable of the same range of motion that Tokyo's are?

Tinkerbell 8

Hopefully they address not only the tarps and pieces of the mountain that are falling off, but all the broken AA's and the sound. The ride was down for most of my last trip in October/November so I only got to ride it one day and it was 10 time worse than it was when I was there in March. I was in awe after watching the Tokyo video because all the AA's were amazing. Here's hoping that TDO doesn't keep neglecting my favorite ride.

PeterAlt

If you listen to enough people here, after awhile you would start to believe the next ride will be Chicken Little and that the sky was falling!

Soarin' Over Pgh

Does that mean you've heard something about the AA's being fixed? Or are you just assuming they will be given that this is a major refurb?

I agree with the tarps comment, they definitely need to go. But i'm judging the refurb on everything being fixed, not just the tarps, not just the AA's, everything needs to be show ready. There's also a lot of audio is in bad condition as well and needs serious attention. Water effects need correcting. Even some lighting needs some work IMO.

Aye. I'm actually not 100% sure whether Orlando's even at their best are supposed to move that smooth. It's been a very long time since I rode Splash when everything was working as it should. I do know that Orlando's are supposed to move far better than they have been lately though, many are almost or completely stationary at last check (or in some cases missing entirely from the ride). I know they move at least as well as Disneyland's at their best. Regardless it warms the heart to see a version of the ride that is in proper working order. It's such a great ride, I hope WDW's can get back to where it needs to be.

Insiders- ARE Orlando's animatronics capable of the same range of motion that Tokyo's are?

Ive never seen the Tokyo version before watching this video (granted, with the sound off and skimmed a few sections- I'm at work. haha) but I'm in total awe. The FISH move? They jump?! There's FISH?!

I'd love to see 'our' Splash Mtn look like this. Fantastic! Gonna have to watch this at home on high def screen, not this crappy work one.

Hopefully the FL SM will be fixed. :\

ExtinctJenn

Looks rough. I wish we could get some pics of whats going on inside. Thanks for posting these, though. :)
I'll second that! I will say it looks like it's definitely getting some much needed attention outside (after repainting the rock work at Big Thunder, the rock work at Splash looked oddly pink when you looked at them side by side).

Lee

Adventurer
Nope. It gets cold. And snowy.
Yep...
image.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom