Splash Mountain falling apart (literally?)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
IMO (and it is only my opinion) the chrome will begin to pit on the bumpers so to speak and owners will look to get out of ownership, the reseller market will be flooded and the bottom will drop out of the market. Not for a very long time but that is my prognostication. It will be after DVC has long since milked the cash cow and the losers will be those looking to unload their membership.

It works for some...but not for us.

My post has nothing to do with DVC working or not working for any guest. There are tons of threads in the DVC section for that. I was simply pointing out why they will continue to build DVC until demand dries up because it is highly profitable for the company. I don't really think they are worried about the resale market for DVC. The resale prices have been considerably lower than direct from Disney for years and they are still selling direct without much problem.

All I will say is that the man who built the park on a dream seemed to feel differently and the foundation that has been plundered and forgotten is what all of this was built on.
While this is true, the world was a much different place when Walt was around.

donaldtoo

While this is true, the world was a much different place when Walt was around.

While I agree with your premise to a certain extent, because the world is indeed a dynamic place, I also disagree. During Walt's time there were just as many, if not more, crooks, shysters, and charlatans, per capita, as there are these days. "Place" has everything to do with what people and societies make of, and in turn, let them become.
The really ironic thing, to me anyway, is that the very Company that bares his name and legacy, seems to be becoming the epitome of what Walt himself wanted to make his Company the exact opposite of.
Walt detested the very type of company that his dream seems to be devolving into, in this time and "place".

WDW1974

Before people panic, the DVC Epcot Energy Section* (*not accurate) isn't going to happen. On the flip side, what rockwork?

What part is not accurate? I am not sure of the location. And I certainly am not stating anything will come of it, but there are plans out there to build a hotel/DVC complex at the front of EPCOT.

Just like there's plans for night time entertainment complexes outside multiple WDW parks. I don't think those will ever happen either. But there are plans.

WDW1974

So I challenge you: do you really care about affecting positive change to WDW, or is it just fun to get on a forum soap box and shout obvious problems to the masses (trust me, I know how much fun that can be ;))? If you care, do something. Make it big, make it noticeable, and make it something that people can actually rally behind. I'll be doin my part, I hope I'll see you doing the same.

/rant

Don't know if you were speaking to me individually but since you quoted me, I'll assume it.

I do things that are big and noticeable as often as I can. And more often in a year than many will do in a lifetime. And sometimes that even involves WDW. ... But my role in life isn't to be a Fanboi Spokesperson railing at Disney for failing to live up to -- or care -- about Walt's standards or simply the current corporations PR talking points.
I support the message, but I am not the messenger ... maybe the fanboi messiah though.

WDW1974

Last year we bought into DVC on the resale market (240 points at the Boardwalk), with a full year of banked points, for $65 per point. We have no regrets at all, and we have come to enjoy the villas immensely. We have been to Orlando three times since closing on our DVC points. Last Thanksgiving and this Thanksgiving, we visited the theme parks. Last spring break, we went on a Disney cruise and then spent a couple nights at the Beach Club, going to Typhoon Lagoon for a day. This spring break, we are staying at the Grand Californian for four nights, sandwiched between visits to San Diego and San Francisco. Next Thanksgiving, we'll spend a couple of days at Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure while staying at the Boardwalk. With the state of some of the Disney Orlando theme parks, however, I can foresee some visits to Sandestin (or at least Vero or Hilton Head) on DVC points.

It works for some people. I have to say when I see points going for $35-45 on the resale market for OKW and Vero, I start looking at it myself.

But people who buy from Disney at today's prices ... well, no comment.

WDW1974

So you're anti-fun?

That's not what the fanbois say ...

I definitely get that desire to stay dry. Popeye and Bluto's, Kali River Rapids, Splash Mountain in Disneyland and Grizzly River Run are typically things we plan for later in the day. I don't think Florida's Splash Mountain really soaks guests on a regular basis, it's more of a gentle misting.

I never get soaked on DL's Splash ... well, except for the very first time I rode it. WDW's version has been known to do so sporadically. I skip Bluto's at IOA and KRR at DAK (the former because I've never gotten so wet on a ride before anywhere, the latter because well, it sucks and it soaks).

I will ride GRR in Anaheim when it's in the 90s or above and I don't have great clothes on and can dry fast.

articos

What part is not accurate? I am not sure of the location. And I certainly am not stating anything will come of it, but there are plans out there to build a hotel/DVC complex at the front of EPCOT.

Just like there's plans for night time entertainment complexes outside multiple WDW parks. I don't think those will ever happen either. But there are plans.
I was joking. :) Saying the resort would be built in Energy in the parking lot, i.e., being that specific, then asterisking to say that probably wasn't accurate. I have a bit of a sarcastic streak. ;) Yes, you are accurate - there are early site plans to plop a DVC in an entirely stupid location, but it will never actually happen, for multiple reasons. Sorry, should have been a bit more descriptive.

Captain Chaos

I was joking. :) Saying the resort would be built in Energy in the parking lot, i.e., being that specific, then asterisking to say that probably wasn't accurate. I have a bit of a sarcastic streak. ;) Yes, you are accurate - there are early site plans to plop a DVC in an entirely stupid location, but it will never actually happen, for multiple reasons. Sorry, should have been a bit more descriptive.
The main reason it shouldn't happen is because the plan/idea is just stupid.. But, I am forgetting the management team we are dealing with here... :)

SirLink

Yep.

You won't be in Radiator Springs. You'll be part of a movie with a race that is supposed to be happening in RS.
Doncha just love the Disney story?

Actually Spirit I'm wondering who pushes for the cuts is the park VPs, Meg or some weird other team within TDO.

articos

Good question, I'd like to know that also.
Think 'design by committee' - many have input, and any could push for a change or a cut. Most of the time, individual cuts are going to be below Meg's level on day to day, unless it's a large scale project like New Fantasyland or Carsland. Otherwise, she'll review new stuff on a scheduled basis and make suggestions or changes as well, but that's not the majority of changes or cuts.

SirLink

Think 'design by committee' - many have input, and any could push for a change or a cut. Most of the time, individual cuts are going to be below Meg's level on day to day, unless it's a large scale project like New Fantasyland or Carsland. Otherwise, she'll review new stuff on a scheduled basis and make suggestions or changes as well, but that's not the majority of changes or cuts.

But who pushes for 'value engineering' principles of new attractions, I guess its Meg seen as she is one of JR cronies.

Bolna

From my experiences with large entities I would guess that once there is a culture of "cheap is beautiful" there will be so many willing to come up with ideas of how to value engineer. The goal of getting it cheaper will not be question as it is assumed that any way to look more profitable on the bottom line by spending less would be welcome. A very dangerous state to be in in my opinion.

Alektronic

Did anyone ever say what caused the rockwork to fall? I suspect it was just someone walking around on the rockwork. There is a lot of lighting up there and it needs to relamped. And even more likely, there is actual grass growing on the mountain and there is a lot of sprinklers that spray on the mountain and horticulture goes up so often with weedwhackers to trim the grass and maybe someone got to close to the edge and it crumbled off.

ExtinctJenn

I'm joining late and honestly read only 3 pages (1,2 and 20) but I would think that the planned refurb of Splash is because of all these issues (not these issues are yet another reason to do a refurb). I'm guessing because of the sheer volumes of people during the Holidays they started doing what little not-so-incredibly obvious stuff they could now to get ahead of the probably never ending list of things they have to do once it's shut down. It's an old ride that needs some love. At least it's going to get it!

Bairstow

Did anyone ever say what caused the rockwork to fall? I suspect it was just someone walking around on the rockwork. There is a lot of lighting up there and it needs to relamped. And even more likely, there is actual grass growing on the mountain and there is a lot of sprinklers that spray on the mountain and horticulture goes up so often with weedwhackers to trim the grass and maybe someone got to close to the edge and it crumbled off.

While maintenance on or around the workwork might have been a factor, it's unlikely that anyone was maintaining the rockwork at the time the material fell, since the ride was in operation at the time (I was on it).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
But wasn't that classed as a refurb?

So I take it Dan is asking for all these cuts to RSR East Coast Edition?
Space was a value engineered disaster. Despite being a refurb its probably the biggest example (and with lights on, a legacy) of budget cutting to beyond the max.

No idea who's asking for RSR cuts directly. But I don't like what I hear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom