Splash Mountain falling apart (literally?)

articos

READ THIS FOLKS!!! TAKE IT IN!!!

Like a leftover drumstick.

And then realize there are 18 pages on this thread and 50 or 60 some odd on Starbucks being a deathknell to the Disney MAGIC.

Sometimes I ask why bother ... and the voice in my head says ''because you must, without fanboi tears and Pixie Dust, you'll die.''
Personally, I don't mind a well-themed 'bux. I'd of course rather Splash Mountain didn't collapse of wood rot, but...

articos

When I rode it in September I noticed maybe 2-3 show issues ... only glaring one was a fountain that should have had an AA on it in the LP scene, but I'm not sure that it hasn't been gone for years.

I could be like one my 'fans' here (funny how when I don't post, neither do certain folks who claim they don't have obsessions and/or mental illness) and say HOW DO YOU KNOW??? DO YOU HAVE ACCESS TO THE DATA??!? WHERE ARE THE NUMBERS TO BACK YOUR CLAIMS?!??

Of course, the reality is that you are quite right on both counts.

Hey, here's one I'll just drop in a thread ... do you know Disney has plans for a DVC/hotel in the EPCOT parking lot?

How about another? How do you 'value engineer' RSRs for a FL appearance? How about painted flats instead of all that amazing rockwork?

What about what Tony Baxter really thought about the NEW, NEW, NEW, But not really Fantasyland? ... Well, nah, that one will have to stay with me unless he opts to place it out or tell someone with looser lips than my beauties.
Before people panic, the DVC Epcot Energy Section* (*not accurate) isn't going to happen. On the flip side, what rockwork?

Joseph Robinson

When you say Disney is supposed to have no competition, you're spouting a PR talking point from the 60s-90s that they won't even dare use anymore.

The thing is that from the 60s-90s it wasn't just a PR talking point:it was fact. I only caught the tail end of those days (and even then as a 6 year old); but countless unsolicited testimonials and the very anger that people like yourself are showing in this thread back up the idea that it was ONCE true.

It isn't true now, I'm under no delusions in that regard. What my post was saying is that there us NO excuse for them to not still be setting the theme park standard in FL. They certainly aren't hurting for money.

I, for one, am not content with waiting for someone to get hurt (or worse) before pressuring these numbskulls to get things done. The above poster had the right idea to get started: get vocal. The more powerful tool of protest though? The wallet that you control (and the wallets of those that you can LOUDLY and PUBLICLY draw to the cause). It's easy to talk about not going, MAYBE screwing them on DVC stuff or whatever; but if more people don't start putting up there won't be any reason for DTO and their "money saving team" to shut up.

So I challenge you: do you really care about affecting positive change to WDW, or is it just fun to get on a forum soap box and shout obvious problems to the masses (trust me, I know how much fun that can be ;))? If you care, do something. Make it big, make it noticeable, and make it something that people can actually rally behind. I'll be doin my part, I hope I'll see you doing the same.

/rant

copcarguyp71

Oops, should have seen/read this first. ... My take is the way it was worded made them think two things: 1.) you weren't going to buy DVC no matter what; 2.) you've already committed to returning so they've got ya and your $$$ anyway.

Well I wanted to be honest in that no amount of discounts would make me want to buy into their program. Like I said previously getting a great deal on a bad car only leaves you with a bad car.

Yes, we are going back two more times and that is a plan we have but beyond that all bets are off. The only reason the second trip is happening is because of a convention I need to attend in Orlando in 2014. I guess I could have been more scathing in my approach but in truth I hope that they consider real changes throughout than just throwing a discount at one person to placate the situation. I was however disappointed with their cookie cutter response but sadly it is pretty much what I expected, Fanbois be damned they will do what they want and at some point their castle will crumble if they do not change their tune.

COProgressFan

I guess I could have been more scathing in my approach but in truth I hope that they consider real changes throughout than just throwing a discount at one person to placate the situation.

This seems to be Disney's solution to everything. Rock falls on your head during Splash? Here's a gift card and free passes! Resorts are empty? Let's discount! DVC isn't selling? Discounted points! Poor merch sales? 20% off if you buy before noon!

They never seem to do anything to take care of the underlying problems that caused these issues in the first place. It's always patchwork quick fix solutions that don't really help anything in the long run.

copcarguyp71

This seems to be Disney's solution to everything. Rock falls on your head during Splash? Here's a gift card and free passes! Resorts are empty? Let's discount! DVC isn't selling? Discounted points! Poor merch sales? 20% off if you buy before noon!

They never seem to do anything to take care of the underlying problems that caused these issues in the first place. It's always patchwork quick fix solutions that don't really help anything in the long run.

Yes I definitely agree with seeing that as well. Exactly why my letter was not meant to garner any sort of net for us personally but rather to point out systemic failings both with the parks as well as the core of their DVC master scheme. Sooner or later reactionary measures are going to wear thin with many more people and they are going to be forced to be proactive and not reactive but that may be some time in the coming. It dismays me that now I hear plans for a possible DVC in the parking lot of EPCOT...at what point will management wise up and realize that people are going to stop drinking the magic cool-aid and take their vacation/vacation investment elsewhere.

I am not being critical of those who have invested in DVC but rather have concerns of the overall direction of the corporate manifesto.

SoupBone

You really need to start a separate thread about these topics or point me in the direction where it's being discussed. Epcot parking lot DVC sounds like a horrible idea.

Blueliner

I won't argue the value of DVC. I see very little value in buying it from Disney. I see considerable value in some of the amazing resale opps and in having good friends who invite you to stay with them for 11 days in a one bedroom at one of your favorite resorts for free.

But Disney is VERY concerned that many DVCers are coming and not giving Disney their money and instead dining off property and visiting UNI/IOA/SW/DC/AQuatica/BGT etc hence the unheard of $399 PAPs they are begging DVCers to take. This on the heels of many other perks they're throwing in ... Pssst ... hey DVCers, I wouldn't pay for D23 membership if yours is up soon or if were thinking of joining because y'all are going to automatically be members for free in the near future.

Last year we bought into DVC on the resale market (240 points at the Boardwalk), with a full year of banked points, for $65 per point. We have no regrets at all, and we have come to enjoy the villas immensely. We have been to Orlando three times since closing on our DVC points. Last Thanksgiving and this Thanksgiving, we visited the theme parks. Last spring break, we went on a Disney cruise and then spent a couple nights at the Beach Club, going to Typhoon Lagoon for a day. This spring break, we are staying at the Grand Californian for four nights, sandwiched between visits to San Diego and San Francisco. Next Thanksgiving, we'll spend a couple of days at Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure while staying at the Boardwalk. With the state of some of the Disney Orlando theme parks, however, I can foresee some visits to Sandestin (or at least Vero or Hilton Head) on DVC points.

RSoxNo1

I HATE rides that get me soaked (and ruin clothing, shoes, wallets, phones etc) in theme parks and feel they are LCD crap to please the Honey Boo Boo/Walmart demo that is so prevalent in theme parks today (where they get the $$$ is another matter). But I won't ride a great raft ride like IOA's because I have no desire to get wetter with my clothes on than I do in a shower with them off.

Splash Mountain is just bearable enough that I will ride every once in a while at MK and all the time at DL due to its great single rider 'you never wait even when it's 108' line ... very rarely due I get soaked but when I do I am nota happy camper. These rides don't have to get you even remotely wet. TDL's Splash Mountain, which looked like it had just opened on my visit in 12/10, barely mists you in the face because the Japanese (as a culture) realize there is nothing fun about walking around a theme park in soaked clothing. Americans can be soo ... sooo ... nah, not going there. Point is you can have a great flume ride that doesn't soak guests and if Splash were toned down a bit, I very much doubt there'd be many complainers at City Hall demanding refunds on their $8,000 MAGICal vacations because of it.

Yep, that be one of the Spirit's hot button topics.
So you're anti-fun?

I definitely get that desire to stay dry. Popeye and Bluto's, Kali River Rapids, Splash Mountain in Disneyland and Grizzly River Run are typically things we plan for later in the day. I don't think Florida's Splash Mountain really soaks guests on a regular basis, it's more of a gentle misting.

RSoxNo1

When I rode it in September I noticed maybe 2-3 show issues ... only glaring one was a fountain that should have had an AA on it in the LP scene, but I'm not sure that it hasn't been gone for years.
There was one ride I went on it in September where quite a bit wasn't working (mainly AA's) and then another where nearly everything was working except hopping Brer Rabbit and most of the Laughing place.

Hey, here's one I'll just drop in a thread ... do you know Disney has plans for a DVC/hotel in the EPCOT parking lot?
Is the plan to then abandon the building in 10 years time except for the Flower and Garden festival?

How about another? How do you 'value engineer' RSRs for a FL appearance? How about painted flats instead of all that amazing rockwork?
How about go with building facades and a Cars 2 theme?

What about what Tony Baxter really thought about the NEW, NEW, NEW, But not really Fantasyland? ... Well, nah, that one will have to stay with me unless he opts to place it out or tell someone with looser lips than my beauties.
I'm more interested to hear what he has to say about Barnebus T. Bouillon Cube

The Empress Lilly

Concept art for Cars Land DHS:

cars.jpg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It dismays me that now I hear plans for a possible DVC in the parking lot of EPCOT...at what point will management wise up and realize that people are going to stop drinking the magic cool-aid and take their vacation/vacation investment elsewhere.

Until people stop buying DVC points they will not stop making them. They are a really profitable investment for TWDC.

Simple math using BLT as an example:

There were over 5 million BLT points available for sale. They are pretty much sold out. Average sales price $120 per point (could be more or less since they keep changing the price, but I'm ball parking it). That adds up to over $600M in point sales. Total cost to build BLT was $140M. There are some sales and marketing costs, but excluding those the profit from BLT sales was $460M or 75% of revenue. Even if the sales and marketing costs were 25% of the sales number (no clue what that nimber really is) that still leaves $450M of pure profit or an over 300% return on the initial $140M investment. I don't know of too many businesses proposals where you can get a 300% return in less than 5 years.

Obviously, this well will dry up at some point and they need to worry about canabalizing cash resort sales, but keep in mind that currently there are only around 3,000 DVC rooms at WDW which is around 10% of the total rooms available and the most recent DVC resorts sold pretty well so they have not over saturated the market yet. As someone who is not a fan of DVC it may frustrate you that capital is deployed to build DVC units, but it is highly doubtful that if these projects were cancelled that money would flow into the parks. The DVC capital is returned quickly and it's an easy score for the P&R division that is easily quantified. New additions to the parks or dare I say maintence and refurbs could take a lot longer to pay off and are a lot harder to quantify.

copcarguyp71

IMO (and it is only my opinion) the chrome will begin to pit on the bumpers so to speak and owners will look to get out of ownership, the reseller market will be flooded and the bottom will drop out of the market. Not for a very long time but that is my prognostication. It will be after DVC has long since milked the cash cow and the losers will be those looking to unload their membership.

It works for some...but not for us.

copcarguyp71

New additions to the parks or dare I say maintence and refurbs could take a lot longer to pay off and are a lot harder to quantify.

All I will say is that the man who built the park on a dream seemed to feel differently and the foundation that has been plundered and forgotten is what all of this was built on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom