Splash Mountain falling apart (literally?)

SirLink

Space was a value engineered disaster. Despite being a refurb its probably the biggest example (and with lights on, a legacy) of budget cutting to beyond the max.

No idea who's asking for RSR cuts directly. But I don't like what I hear.

So is there anyone out there who will in the coming months become an executive of TDO so they can turn take WDW out of its comatose state.

Bairstow

Space was a value engineered disaster.

Really? I thought the attraction was extremely expensive, it's just that the ride concept itself turned out to be a stupid idea and they did the best they could with what they had. If there's more to the story, is there a place to read about it?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Really? I thought the attraction was extremely expensive, it's just that the ride concept itself turned out to be a stupid idea and they did the best they could with what they had. If there's more to the story, is there a place to read about it?

he's talking about the recent space mountain refurb

dclfan

I don't know if this has been discussed already but I just returned from the world yesterday evening. On Monday night I went to Magic Kingdom for extra magic hours and went over to Splash Mountain since I hadn't had a chance to ride since we had been there on this visit. When I arrived there was a barricade of CM'S standing guard in front of the entrance and when I asked if the ride was down they said that Splash Mountain no longer participated in Extra Magic Hours. Does anyone know why this is? and how long it has been going on. Are they working on Splash at night or just being lazy. Also why would you have so many CM's stationed in front of a closed attraction.

Skyway

Holmes did Space in. Just sayin'

That may be the case.

But the more important question is... why?

Why is a TDO exec more motivated than other company execs to "value engineer"?

Bonus pay for cost-savings? That's sounds reasonable, but wouldn't TDA execs have the same motivation at the West Coast parks?

Unique budget challenges? Since a TDO exec is not given a limitless budget, do they have to spread their money around in ways different than TDA (for example, more of budget must go to infrastructure and utilities that is not required in Anaheim?)

I also question how all of us can scream and moan when we hear rumors of "value engineering" and yet the big bosses in Burbank don't seem to mind. I'm sure Staggs and Iger don't micro-manage every WDW decision. That's what they pay the TDO execs to do, after all. But why doesn't Burbank seem as concerned as us fans do? This is the same Burbank that watches over TDA, and the same Burbank that TDO must please. Obviously TDO is not (or at least hasn't been) worried about reprisals from up above by "value engineering".

It's easy to throw stones at particular individuals about funding decisions. And maybe such criticism is warranted. But what motivates them to make those decisions? And why is the infamous "One Disney" so different in the exec offices on both coasts?

Rob562

I don't know if this has been discussed already but I just returned from the world yesterday evening. On Monday night I went to Magic Kingdom for extra magic hours and went over to Splash Mountain since I hadn't had a chance to ride since we had been there on this visit. When I arrived there was a barricade of CM'S standing guard in front of the entrance and when I asked if the ride was down they said that Splash Mountain no longer participated in Extra Magic Hours. Does anyone know why this is? and how long it has been going on. Are they working on Splash at night or just being lazy. Also why would you have so many CM's stationed in front of a closed attraction.

It was removed from the Evening EMH lineup a month or two ago, apparently due to lack of time to do routine maintenance in the limited overnight hours.

-Rob

dclfan

Thanks for the info. I still found the whole scenarios strange however since its "supposed" to be one if the parks E ticket attractions.

Bairstow

That may be the case.

But the more important question is... why?

Bonus pay for cost-savings? That's sounds reasonable, but wouldn't TDA execs have the same motivation at the West Coast parks?

Unique budget challenges? Since a TDO exec is not given a limitless budget, do they have to spread their money around in ways different than TDA (for example, more of budget must go to infrastructure and utilities that is not required in Anaheim?)

I also question how all of us can scream and moan when we hear rumors of "value engineering" and yet the big bosses in Burbank don't seem to mind. I'm sure Staggs and Iger don't micro-manage every WDW decision. That's what they pay the TDO execs to do, after all. But why doesn't Burbank seem as concerned as us fans do? This is the same Burbank that watches over TDA, and the same Burbank that TDO must please. Obviously TDO is not (or at least hasn't been) worried about reprisals from up above by "value engineering".

It's easy to throw stones at particular individuals about funding decisions. And maybe such criticism is warranted. But what motivates them to make those decisions? And why is the infamous "One Disney" so different in the exec offices on both coasts?

My guess is that the main reasons are twofold:

1. A greater percentage of Disneyland's guests are locals with annual passes, and just as seasonal overlays and updates are necessary to keep them happy, so too is proper attraction condition. Guests who come to WDW once every couple years, or only once ever are far less likely to notice, let alone care about degraded attraction conditions.

2. Disneyland is much closer geographically to corporate headquarters, and thus more likely to be visited by management types who might care about the problems. Disney World, on the other hand has a protective geographic buffer to shield them from meddling west coast executives.

ParentsOf4

There are a few possibilities why WDW and DLR are going in different directions at this point. None of these are justifications, only explanations.
  1. Leadership – Leadership sets the tone. A leader at one location might emphasize quality while another might emphasize cost, even if they have the same bonus structure. Fundamentally, it is a matter of one leader deciding that financial performance is best improved via superior quality while another deciding that financial performance is best improved through cost-cutting. This is closely linked to the next item.
  2. Location-specific corporate culture – A multisite organization often develops unique cultures at different locations, despite corporate HQ efforts to create a “one culture” mentality. The norm at location X might not be acceptable at location Y because “that’s not how things are done here”.
  3. Size and complexity – WDW is much larger than DLR. WDW faces challenges that DLR simply doesn’t have to deal with, at least not to the same extent. How many miles of roads are there at WDW vs. DLR? How many acres of grass to maintain? Bus transportation? Waterways? Infrastructure?
  4. Location – When WDW originally was built, TWDC ran into numerous unanticipated government regulations and union headaches that they didn’t have at DL. Consequently, TWDC had much more difficulty controlling budget and quality at WDW. These differences persist today. And the weather is different. With its extra heat and humidity, WDW faces more mechanical and structural decay than DLR. WDW is aging more rapidly than DLR due to weather.
  5. Customers – WDW and DLR have to satisfy different customer bases. DLR has more repeat business. It’s more obvious to frequent visitors when something’s wrong and they are more likely to be vocal about it, either through Guest Relations or with their wallets. As a whole, WDW’s guests visit much less frequently. They are less likely to spot something wrong or complain about it if they do. “Splash Mountain might not be working at WDW but I won’t be back for another 5 years so why bother to complain.” vs. “I’m coming back to DLR next month and I want it fixed before my next visit or I’m not coming back.”
  6. Home resort – DLR is Burbank’s “Home Resort”. TWDC senior executives see DLR on a regular basis. Their families, friends, and business associates frequently visit DLR. It’s more obvious to Burbank executives when something’s wrong with DLR. It’s very different receiving a list of issues for a site 2,000 miles away than it is to be hanging out at the country club and hearing your golf buddy complain. As a result, Burbank executives are more willing to throw money at DLR’s budget because its condition is a personal reflection on them.
Don’t forget that DLR was a mess over a decade ago. It took new TDA leadership to effect change. Even a change of TDO leadership will not fix some of the underlying problems facing WDW. It will take TWDC more effort to bring WDW back up to standards than it did DLR. I don’t think Burbank has sufficient motivation yet to support this effort and they won’t have this motivation until WDW starts to suffer financially. I suspect they are hoping New Fantasyland, Next Gen, and Avatarland are the cure. If WDW’s numbers recover after these, expect more of the same. If not, then perhaps someone high up at TWDC will finally step up to the plate. This could mean things will continue to get worse at WDW for many years before they get better.

ExtinctJenn

It was removed from the Evening EMH lineup a month or two ago, apparently due to lack of time to do routine maintenance in the limited overnight hours.
I could be wrong but I don't think it's related to maintenance as much as it's related to temperature. I may be wrong but I thought it was always taken out of EMH once the nighttime temperatures dropped. I seem to remember it not being available for EMH on a trip we took in October not too long ago. Maybe it's both factors at play though given the state of things. Who knows. :D

flynnibus

Premium Member
I could be wrong but I don't think it's related to maintenance as much as it's related to temperature. I may be wrong but I thought it was always taken out of EMH once the nighttime temperatures dropped. I seem to remember it not being available for EMH on a trip we took in October not too long ago. Maybe it's both factors at play though given the state of things. Who knows. :D

But Maint is the excuse given. If it was temperature... wouldn't they have announced it coming back? And also just said that to help deflect the backlash? Temperature and reduced interest due to it.. would be an easy excuse. But Disney doesn't close it during cold days during the day either ;)

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
We always went on it regardless of temps....they used to just shut the cannons down anyhow when it got chilly. Hoping someone takes a day off and starts the refurb one day later Jan 3. so I can ride it once....even though it's in need of love....;). So bummed I had looked a few weeks prior and it was not listed....and other years the refurb started a few days later I think. Last year I was fortunate to have BTM close the day AFTER we left so I got to enjoy both my treasured mountains.....in January....woo hoo!!!!

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
A better issue is, why does the splash mountain water smell so bad every year? I'm frightened to get wet when I'm on it...
LOL some time back someone wrote it was the bacteria that made the ew factor, someone else said it was the chlorine to fight the bacteria...perhaps it's that battle being waged 'tween the two!!!:p

For some reason it's always been "that Splash Mountain smell"....and in some odd way I like it because I associate it with being on vacation and on one of my favorite rides. Nope...don't want to get a mouthful....one year we did not notice it at ALL...and found it odd....missing it....;).

wdwstateofmind

LOL some time back someone wrote it was the bacteria that made the ew factor, someone else said it was the chlorine to fight the bacteria...perhaps it's that battle being waged 'tween the two!!!:p

For some reason it's always been "that Splash Mountain smell"....and in some odd way I like it because I associate it with being on vacation and on one of my favorite rides. Nope...don't want to get a mouthful....one year we did not notice it at ALL...and found it odd....missing it....;).
I know what you mean, I'm so fortunate to live in an area of Jersey that's been around since the 1600s...every now and then I'll catch a whiff of some "clean" water that takes me to that happy place...

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I know what you mean, I'm so fortunate to live in an area of Jersey that's been around since the 1600s...every now and then I'll catch a whiff of some "clean" water that takes me to that happy place...

Isn't that awesome...and when you least expect it or are looking for it, it can be quite overpowering. I love it best when it happens and someone else from my fam is with me and is thinking the same thing....:D. So nice to be understood on the emotional impact of smells....the good, the bad, and the ones we just don't want to know the composite why....just that it is!!! Keeping in your wdw "state of mind" just makes life richer.;)

dmc493

Right here.. Living in the south, humidity can cook a stop sign and turn it white within a year.So many things have to be done to our home each year to combat all of the humidity or else we'd look like the haunted mansion.. While some of this has gotten out of hand, they really do need to maintain some sort of upkeep.
  1. Location – When WDW originally was built, TWDC ran into numerous unanticipated government regulations and union headaches that they didn’t have at DL. Consequently, TWDC had much more difficulty controlling budget and quality at WDW. These differences persist today. And the weather is different. With its extra heat and humidity, WDW faces more mechanical and structural decay than DLR. WDW is aging more rapidly than DLR due to weather.

articos

But Maint is the excuse given. If it was temperature... wouldn't they have announced it coming back? And also just said that to help deflect the backlash? Temperature and reduced interest due to it.. would be an easy excuse. But Disney doesn't close it during cold days during the day either ;)
It actually is due to maintenance that Splash was taken out of EMH.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom