Splash Mountain Closing 1/3/11-1/31/11 for Refurbishment

enoe01

Considering the cannon right before B Lift can hit the log at any position, I'd say you can most definitely come off soaked.

I have been there in the winter and it seems they tend to shut off the water canon when it is cold outside. My wife and I rode Splash 6 times in a row in Febuary and the canon was not on.

Tom

Beta Return
I would say that is the most likely reason. It is not like you can get soaking wet on Splash Mountain.

Have you actually ridden Splash Mountain? :lol:

I've managed to escape complete drenching a number of times, but I've also been engulfed in a wave of water over the bow several times.

However, they often turn the water cannons off and tone down the splash on the final drop when it's cold. We were able to ride a few years ago in January, the day before it went down. Not a drop of water landed on us, or on anyone else.

Tom

Beta Return
Splash Construction Photos

Rather than start a new thread or post these somewhere arbitrary, I thought I'd share these here.

I was visiting my parents this weekend and was digging through photos from my childhood Disney trips. Found a few I might submit to the Memories campaign.

But most exciting - to me at least - were the two photos that my dad took while we were in line for BTMR in July 1991. As you can see, they're both of Splash under construction.

I'm sure Martin has truckloads of these types of photos, but I thought they were kind of cool and figured I'd share them.

picture.php

picture.php

Horizonsfan

Have you actually ridden Splash Mountain? :lol:

I've managed to escape complete drenching a number of times, but I've also been engulfed in a wave of water over the bow several times.

However, they often turn the water cannons off and tone down the splash on the final drop when it's cold. We were able to ride a few years ago in January, the day before it went down. Not a drop of water landed on us, or on anyone else.

I fail to understand why WDI hasn't redesigned splash's programming so that people had an option between the current very-wet experience and a dryer POTC-wetness level ride. They could designate one of the loading areas as the "dry" one and then leave the other two alone.

I know Tokyo's Splash (which is very similar in design) manages to keep riders much dryer. It seems that would be a very easy way to attract even more people to the attraction and just be a nice option for guests. IDK..

And great Splash construction pics!

Tom

Beta Return
I fail to understand why WDI hasn't redesigned splash's programming so that people had an option between the current very-wet experience and a dryer POTC-wetness level ride. They could designate one of the loading areas as the "dry" one and then leave the other two alone.

I know Tokyo's Splash (which is very similar in design) manages to keep riders much dryer. It seems that would be a very easy way to attract even more people to the attraction and just be a nice option for guests. IDK..

Sounds like a great way to utilize RFID! "Customize your splash-ness!"

P.S. Thanks. I have to give my dad credit. He's a civil engineer and was probably taking them for the same reason I would today - it's visible construction in WDW! I was just looking for pics of my brother and I in WDW for the Memories campaign, and about pooh'd myself when I saw those :lol:

mr_braver23

Rather than start a new thread or post these somewhere arbitrary, I thought I'd share these here.

I was visiting my parents this weekend and was digging through photos from my childhood Disney trips. Found a few I might submit to the Memories campaign.

But most exciting - to me at least - were the two photos that my dad took while we were in line for BTMR in July 1991. As you can see, they're both of Splash under construction.

I'm sure Martin has truckloads of these types of photos, but I thought they were kind of cool and figured I'd share them.

picture.php

picture.php
Very cool pictures!! Thanks for posting. I love to see construction photos of current rides!!

ChrisFL

Premium Member

It's called SPLASH mountain, it's supposed to have some wetness...if you don't want to get wet, don't go on a water flume ride....seems simple enough to me.

As I mentioned before, this kind of slippery slope (no pun intended) is a bad one...just because Mission:Space was forced to make a green version due to too many illnesses/deaths doesn't mean that every other semi-thrilling ride should be toned down...no wonder people think Disney is for kids, we have people recommending these types of things.

Waah! Waah! I don't want to get WET on SPLASH mountain...Puhleeeze :rolleyes:

Horizonsfan

It's called SPLASH mountain, it's supposed to have some wetness...if you don't want to get wet, don't go on a water flume ride....seems simple enough to me.

As I mentioned before, this kind of slippery slope (no pun intended) is a bad one...just because Mission:Space was forced to make a green version due to too many illnesses/deaths doesn't mean that every other semi-thrilling ride should be toned down...no wonder people think Disney is for kids, we have people recommending these types of things.

Waah! Waah! I don't want to get WET on SPLASH mountain...Puhleeeze :rolleyes:

Wow way to be a jerk about an innocent suggestion.

Splash Mountain in addition to being a water thrill ride, has great dark ride scenes. If people want to enjoy the thrills and detailed scenery without being drenched what's the problem? I didn't say they needed to castrate the mountain of any thrills.

ToTBellHop

Splash Mountain in addition to being a water thrill ride, has great dark ride scenes. If people want to enjoy the thrills and detailed scenery without being drenched what's the problem? I didn't say they needed to castrate the mountain of any thrills.
The Tower of Terror also has some great special effects...should they offer a non-dropping version for people with heart conditions that keep them from riding it in its current version?

I don't understand the complaints that Splash gets. You want a drenching water ride, go over to Islands of Adventure...

Horizonsfan

The Tower of Terror also has some great special effects...should they offer a non-dropping version for people with heart conditions that keep them from riding it in its current version?

I don't understand the complaints that Splash gets. You want a drenching water ride, go over to Islands of Adventure...

Splash Mountain, in its current form can be adjusted to change how wet you get. All I was suggesting was that MK use the programing to its maximum potential. I fail to understand the hostility to the suggestion, Tokyo's Splash Mountain operates in what I'd call a "dry" mode all the time.

Using ToT and heart conditions to compare is apples to oranges. If you're going to go down that kind of argument, should DL have not created an alternate experience for wheel-chair guests at their Submarine Voyage?

There was no suggestion to make this ride available to everyone. No suggestion that MK cater to kids exclusively (if anything, my postings prove I feel otherwise about the kid-ifcation). There was no suggestion to get rid of the drops. Just a suggestion to offer a designated year-round drier (drier not 100% dry) experience in addition to the current experience. What is the big problem? Nothing would be removed for this to happen.

There maybe no real-world way to make this happen. It was just an idea.

DugFan1

Hi all...just read about this yesterday and it broke my heart on 2 levels:
1-I am going to WDW from Jan.25th-February 1st
2-Splash Mountain is my favorite ride of all time.
Whenever I read the news aloud to my wife, my 3 year old daughter (who will be enjoying her 2nd trip come January) said, "Oh no Dad, that's your favorite!" I assured her that it'll be alright, but what can you do? I remember one trip when Big Thunder was closed for refurbishment...can't win 'em all!!

Horizonsfan

Hi all...just read about this yesterday and it broke my heart on 2 levels:
1-I am going to WDW from Jan.25th-February 1st
2-Splash Mountain is my favorite ride of all time.
Whenever I read the news aloud to my wife, my 3 year old daughter (who will be enjoying her 2nd trip come January) said, "Oh no Dad, that's your favorite!" I assured her that it'll be alright, but what can you do? I remember one trip when Big Thunder was closed for refurbishment...can't win 'em all!!

Always stinks when your favorite at a park is closed. Feels so strange when touring the park, seems like your forgeting something. Of course, it's for the best in the long run. :)

Tom

Beta Return

Yeah, his response was a little rough indeed.

I agree with you that a dry option would be awesome. I hate getting wet and having to walk around soaked all day - but I take the risk because I like Splash Mountain more than I dislike being wet.

I still say it would be an awesome use of RFID - or just the 2nd or 3rd load location. It would be a very simple programming tweak.

the-reason14

Isnt getting wet part of the thrill of splash mt.? I hate getting wet too, but it's what I expect. Besides, you can always wear a poncho.

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
Splash Mountain, in its current form can be adjusted to change how wet you get. All I was suggesting was that MK use the programing to its maximum potential. I fail to understand the hostility to the suggestion, Tokyo's Splash Mountain operates in what I'd call a "dry" mode all the time.

Using ToT and heart conditions to compare is apples to oranges. If you're going to go down that kind of argument, should DL have not created an alternate experience for wheel-chair guests at their Submarine Voyage?

There was no suggestion to make this ride available to everyone. No suggestion that MK cater to kids exclusively (if anything, my postings prove I feel otherwise about the kid-ifcation). There was no suggestion to get rid of the drops. Just a suggestion to offer a designated year-round drier (drier not 100% dry) experience in addition to the current experience. What is the big problem? Nothing would be removed for this to happen.

There maybe no real-world way to make this happen. It was just an idea.

No dry option should ever happen. If you don't want to get wet, don't ride the ride. Pure and simple. That or be a wussy and wear a poncho.

jjharvpro

Splash Mountain is such a good ride! I am on both sides of this right now
1. I'm gonna enjoy more leg room
2. But I'm gonna miss the freedom of moving around in my seat a little

It's all for good though--I hope.

Horizonsfan

No dry option should ever happen. If you don't want to get wet, don't ride the ride. Pure and simple. That or be a wussy and wear a poncho.

That is the theme park equivalent of "This is America! If you don't like it then you can geeeet out."

Can someone, anyone, please seriously explain how adding a "drier" option detracts from the existing (and would still exist) wetter experience?

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Exactly. If it was a dry mountain, it shouldn't be called Splash Mountain, and at that point, there's no use of making it a water ride anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom