Splash Mountain Closing 1/3/11-1/31/11 for Refurbishment

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
QUick update on this, the lap bars aren't 100% a go for this refurb, but likely. I understand there are still some last minute issues.

We test the lapbar logs every week. I haven't been there for these testings, so I don't know what happens at them, but I know we test them a lot.

DisneyWall-E

Glad to see this comming, so it keeps stupid people from getting out the logs and messing up the ride. Will they keep the 3ed gate open for longer periods of time to make up for slower load and unload times?

CamiLyn227

I have mixed feelings about this...when I first heard about it I thought that my boyfriend would never be able to ride with me again on that ride. He has A LOT of trouble getting into the logs as it is now because he is so tall (6'5") He has to sit sideways with his knees on my side. But if they are removing the handles maybe that is a good thing and it will be better than before! Guess we will have to wait and see when we go back in the summer. I also hope they replace the cushions they are nasty!:hurl:

Rob562

Lots of rides have many moving parts, features and animatronics. And a number of attractions have water. A few have moving parts AND water (Jungle Cruise, Pirates, etc).

So, would one say it's because SM has lots of moving parts that are in such close proximity to water that makes it so vulnerable and high maintenance?

That's exactly it. Splash has a LOT more mechanical systems that are either submerged, partially-submerged, or are in contact the water than any other attraction. You have lifthill chains and motors, advancer belts before each lifthill, submerged emergency-stop barriers, the big flume pumps that pump water to the top of the mountain...

A ride like Small World or Pirates only has to worry about flat water with booster pumps along the way to keep the boats moving, plus a couple belts and one lift on Pirates.

And how many of those animatronics in IASW or Pirates are *right* by the water like they are in Splash?

-Rob

hpyhnt 1000

That's exactly it. Splash has a LOT more mechanical systems that are either submerged, partially-submerged, or are in contact the water than any other attraction. You have lifthill chains and motors, advancer belts before each lifthill, submerged emergency-stop barriers, the big flume pumps that pump water to the top of the mountain...

A ride like Small World or Pirates only has to worry about flat water with booster pumps along the way to keep the boats moving, plus a couple belts and one lift on Pirates.

And how many of those animatronics in IASW or Pirates are *right* by the water like they are in Splash?

-Rob

Never really thought about that to be honest, but now that its been mentioned, I see what you mean. Just looking at the mechanics to operate the ride flume, I never realized how many times you encounter a chain for the lift hills or the advancer belts for the drops or how many pumps it takes to move all that water... its stagrering! I think the ride deserves a break every year.

Tom

Beta Return

-Rob

Well, if you put it that way.... :lol:

I see exactly what you mean. I guess I just never think of Splash being the most high-maintenance attraction on property. But, given all of the underwater contraptions and close proximity of robotics to water, an annual physical is probably called for.

Too bad they don't dedicate this same amount of time and money in the rest of the attractions. Splash isn't the only one deserving routine refurbs.

BalooChicago

I wish they'd vary the month somewhat (say do January one year, February the next). January is the only time that works for my family to go, and it invariably ends up being closed when we are there.

I'm guessing they pick January because it is usually cold and most people don't want to go on Splash when it is cold.
Except for guests that are only able to visit the park in January. ;) Staggering between January and February each year would be good. Both months are colder so the ride would receive less interest and for annual visitors who are limited to those two months, they wouldn't be affected by the refurbishment every year, only every other.

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
That would make sense. The only other reason why they always pick January that I can think of is perhaps they just want to get it done in the first month of the year so it's open for the rest of the year.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I'm guessing they pick January because it is usually cold and most people don't want to go on Splash when it is cold.

I think it also trends to being one of the quieter months for the parks, which is why so many refurbs and maintenance projects are started up during the month.

BrerFrog

I think it also trends to being one of the quieter months for the parks, which is why so many refurbs and maintenance projects are started up during the month.

I would say that is the most likely reason. It is not like you can get soaking wet on Splash Mountain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom