Splash Mountain Closing 1/3/11-1/31/11 for Refurbishment

Tom

Beta Return
I really, really, really hope they stick to the Jan 31 re-opening. We've been in January for our last 2 trips, with Splash being closed both times (I had no idea about the annual refurb before the first trip, but expected it this past January - had no choice on our dates).

When we decided to book our 2011 trip, we moved it to Jan 30 - Feb 5, with SM playing a partial role in the decision - especially since we're taking my brother (hasn't been in 5 years) and his new wife (never been). We didn't figure they'd go into February 2 months in a row, and really wanted them to be able to ride it.

I'm sure there will be plenty of insiders taking photos and posting updates on here before I do, but I'll at least try. We're not slated to be in the MK on Tuesday, Feb 1, but if I hear that it really will re-open on the first, we might be making a detour! We'll definitely be at the MK on Feb 2 though.

Tom

Beta Return
Don't know how I feel about the lap bars. But less stoppages will be nice.

I'm not too concerned with the lap bar idea - I'm used to them on so many other attractions. And you're right that it will be nice for Brer Bear and Brer Fox to stop causing commotion downstream.

Mr.E

Splash is always closed during that time period of the year for annual maintenance. You can set your calendar by it. If you come to Disney for the marathon weekend in January, Splash Mountain will be closed. :)

Come January this will make three trips to Disney, three missed opportunities on Splash Mountain for me. (I chalk it up to the timing of the marathon weekend as well). I guess the only splash I'll see in January will be from the lone tear I'll shed as I walk through Frontierland...

yeti

In case anyone's curious, they're being utilized in TDL as we speak. Assuming the logs haven't been changed since the models I saw on a backstage tour in August, they should be identical.

JWG

Yep thats exactly right. Stupid guests cause all of these changes.

I know one of those guests. Work with them, wasn't there with them. For whatever reason, people really do think that getting out of a stopped log is an acceptable part of the Splash experience. There's something about this ride in particular.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
QUick update on this, the lap bars aren't 100% a go for this refurb, but likely. I understand there are still some last minute issues.

Tom

Beta Return
QUick update on this, the lap bars aren't 100% a go for this refurb, but likely. I understand there are still some last minute issues.

I wonder what kind of "last minute" issues can come up with 2.5 months left until they do the work, and over a year (or more) since they installed the same thing in an almost identical attraction. :shrug:

Kobe!!

My roommate worked Splash last year for his CP and it was rumored then they were getting lap bars....:dazzle:

aka_emilicious

Lap bars or no, can they at least fix Brer Rabbit's bouncing scene? Maybe get rid of the fake ivy attached to the bar while they are at it.

Tom

Beta Return
Lap bars or no, can they at least fix Brer Rabbit's bouncing scene? Maybe get rid of the fake ivy attached to the bar while they are at it.

Ha, right.

I'm not sure what it says about the attraction if it requires such an extensive overhaul every year, for roughly a month each time. Are there any other attractions in all of WDW that require this kind of maintenance and upkeep?

I thought that maybe it's because it's a water ride, but does Kali go down every year for a month? What about Grizzly Run at DL? I don't recall seeing those on the refurb lists very often.

I know it's seen some serious TLC during the last few refurbs, with cleanings, paint jobs, and pump replacements - but why every year, for so long each time?

pax_65

Correct me I'm wrong but I believe a man was killed on WDW Splash Mountain a few years ago after he got out of the car and was moving around inside the mountain before getting struck and killed by another car.

Why would you do this? I have no idea. But hopefully the lap bars will put an end to it.

A small thing in comparison but I hope they clean up the attraction too. The last time I rode I noticed a lot of chewing gum, trash, chipped paint, missing covers on mechanical spaces, etc.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Ha, right.

I'm not sure what it says about the attraction if it requires such an extensive overhaul every year, for roughly a month each time. Are there any other attractions in all of WDW that require this kind of maintenance and upkeep?

I thought that maybe it's because it's a water ride, but does Kali go down every year for a month? What about Grizzly Run at DL? I don't recall seeing those on the refurb lists very often.

I know it's seen some serious TLC during the last few refurbs, with cleanings, paint jobs, and pump replacements - but why every year, for so long each time?

I can probably relate this to what I've heard about another similar attraction...Journey to Atlantis at Sea World. Unlike the river rapids rides, the water is indoors with a LOT of show scenes and I think that's the issue...Splash Mountain is a HUGE attraction and has so many effects, I'm not surprised about it really.

Tigger1988

Neither of those rides has as many show elements as Splash Mountain.

Tom

Beta Return
Neither of those rides has as many show elements as Splash Mountain.

Lots of rides have many moving parts, features and animatronics. And a number of attractions have water. A few have moving parts AND water (Jungle Cruise, Pirates, etc).

So, would one say it's because SM has lots of moving parts that are in such close proximity to water that makes it so vulnerable and high maintenance?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom