Splash Mountain Closing 1/3/11-1/31/11 for Refurbishment

googilycub

That is the theme park equivalent of "This is America! If you don't like it then you can geeeet out."

Can someone, anyone, please seriously explain how adding a "drier" option detracts from the existing (and would still exist) wetter experience?

One could argue that having a drier option would lead to longer lines, as people who skip the ride now rather than getting wet would be more likely to ride.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
So by that logic POTC and IASW completely fail because they're water rides that don't get you wet?:shrug:

Not the same kind of ride :rolleyes:

Sorry for being not more specific but Splash Mountain is a log flume style ride with large drops and the idea that you get wet. The others don't.

Tigger1988

So by that logic POTC and IASW completely fail because they're water rides that don't get you wet?:shrug:

Neither of those rides are log flume, no comparison.

There's absolutely NO need for a dry option on Splash Mountain. Wear a poncho if getting wet is that big of an issue.

Horizonsfan

One could argue that having a drier option would lead to longer lines, as people who skip the ride now rather than getting wet would be more likely to ride.

Valid point.

Neither of those rides are log flume, no comparison.

There's absolutely NO need for a dry option on Splash Mountain. Wear a poncho if getting wet is that big of an issue.
Never said there was a need.

Okay, I'm tired of trying to explain an idea that I thought was mildly alright.:dazzle::dazzle::dazzle:

redshoesrock

Splash Mountain, in its current form can be adjusted to change how wet you get. All I was suggesting was that MK use the programing to its maximum potential. I fail to understand the hostility to the suggestion, Tokyo's Splash Mountain operates in what I'd call a "dry" mode all the time.

It does indeed, and that's more to do with the culture of Japan than anything. Over there, it's much more the custom to wear nice clothes and "be seen" than say, here in America where going to a theme park like Disney means wearing clothes for more of a comfort factor and not a "how do I look" factor. Meaning Japanese guests in general do not like getting wet at theme parks. So, extrapolate that out to Splash Mountain in TDL. Let's say there are a pair of female guests all dressed to the nines in their hip and flashy clothes, their hair done up and their makeup flawless...and now are completely drenched from head to toe after riding Splash. You've got two upset ladies.

BrerFrog

I only ride Splash Mountain in the front row so that I can get as wet as possible, so I would not like a dry option at all.

Maybe that is something the RFID of the Next-Gen project could solve. :shrug:

cookiee_munster

It does indeed, and that's more to do with the culture of Japan than anything. Over there, it's much more the custom to wear nice clothes and "be seen" than say, here in America where going to a theme park like Disney means wearing clothes for more of a comfort factor and not a "how do I look" factor. Meaning Japanese guests in general do not like getting wet at theme parks. So, extrapolate that out to Splash Mountain in TDL. Let's say there are a pair of female guests all dressed to the nines in their hip and flashy clothes, their hair done up and their makeup flawless...and now are completely drenched from head to toe after riding Splash. You've got two upset ladies.

i was going to post something along the same lines as this. i remember watching a video on Tokyo DisneySea and about how guests there really don't like getting wet because they really do dress in their Sunday best. obviously nothing wrong with that at all. Was a really intriguing Doc, really shown how cultures differ :)

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
We did log testing last night and actually got to sit in one of the lap bar logs to see how well I fit (considering I am 6 ft 7). I hopped in the back row and pulled down the lap bar. There was actually more leg room then there normally is. I typically have to angle myself in the back row, but this time I sat straight ahead. The lap bar was fairly comfortable and I was able to pull it down very easily.

My early verdict is that the lap bar logs are good. They add more leg room and the lap bars aren't too restricting.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
We did log testing last night and actually got to sit in one of the lap bar logs to see how well I fit (considering I am 6 ft 7). I hopped in the back row and pulled down the lap bar. There was actually more leg room then there normally is. I typically have to angle myself in the back row, but this time I sat straight ahead. The lap bar was fairly comfortable and I was able to pull it down very easily.

My early verdict is that the lap bar logs are good. They add more leg room and the lap bars aren't too restricting.

That's certainly good to hear. I'm 6'5" and it was never a comfortable fit for me.

Tom

Beta Return

Good to hear. I've never had a problem fitting in the logs, but it's good to know the lap bars aren't too restrictive.

So, is it one lap bar that covers both seats? If so, it can only come down as far as the larger person's body allows it to, right?

What have they done with the entire grab bar/pad scenario? I understand the grab bars are gone, but did they leave the big padded "dashboard" or has it been removed/minimized? Perhaps replaced with something that doesn't absorb the smell of the "dirty dish rag" water.

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
Good to hear. I've never had a problem fitting in the logs, but it's good to know the lap bars aren't too restrictive.

So, is it one lap bar that covers both seats? If so, it can only come down as far as the larger person's body allows it to, right?

What have they done with the entire grab bar/pad scenario? I understand the grab bars are gone, but did they leave the big padded "dashboard" or has it been removed/minimized? Perhaps replaced with something that doesn't absorb the smell of the "dirty dish rag" water.

There is literally nothing there. The lap bars take up where the grab bars were located.

Tom

Beta Return
There is literally nothing there. The lap bars take up where the grab bars were located.

That's going to be SO much better. No big nasty brown grab bar. I'll probably feel less claustrophobic in them now.

I'm anxious to see if they're installed during the refurb. We'll get to try them out the first week of Feb.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom