Spirited WDW Observations, News and Provocative Comments

GymLeaderPhil

I'd like to see things like Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party become standard fair in the Magic Kingdom, and not a pay event.
Agreed.

There's nothing amazing about the freebies you receive for the admission price. I'd rather purchase apple slices, a pretty standard sugar cookie, and hot cocoa.

The castle show (which could easily double as a show in Toyko) and the parade are very good, but there is no reason why they cannot replace the normal versions (or at least alternate throughout the month.)

Perhaps it made sense when guests did not visit the resort between Thanksgiving and Christmas. This is no longer the case though and it causes way too many packed days at MK when the party is not being held.

Figment632

Oyy. I've enjoyed seeing the pictures of the DL rehab with characters but I really like how WDW has remained classic. I'm hoping they keep it as it is.

I saw it in person this May and it is not what it is cracked up to be. They basicaly just slapped some characters in a few of the scenes.

jt04

Biff215

Studios SHOULD AND DID stay open later in December in past years, but now closes early for the same reason they don't show Fantasmic nightly. As Martin said, it's all $$$.

Still, the atmopshere at night is amazing and I just can't help but think they're costing themselves money in merchandise, food and booze by rushing people in and out of there. I don't have the schedule in front of me, but I believe they push closings up to 10 for one whole week at Christmas (midnight on NYE, which is also a good two hours too early!)

When we were in WDW two weeks ago, DHS was closing at 7 every night. With the lighting ceremony at dusk (around 6:00), this left less than a hour to enjoy the amazing display. And what I found most annoying were the signs placed about that stated the lights would turn off promptly at 7:00. This sounds a lot like MVMCP so I was surprised they were going to be so quick to show guests the gate.

I spend quite a bit of time each holiday season putting up 10,000+ lights and decorations outside my house. They start the Osbourne lights in August and put in countless hours. The way I look at my display is based on all the time I put in, I want to make sure there is ample time for everyone to enjoy it (which is the reason I do it in the first place). I just changed my timer from 10:00 pm to 12:00 am for exactly this reason. If you're going to go to all that trouble, make it worth it!

This trip was primarily for the purpose of seeing the decorations, as we were just there in August. We had a great trip and really got in the Christmas spirit. I still couldn't help but notice, however, that there was even less than our trip three years ago during the holidays (especially Epcot). Hopefully this doesn't continue! :xmas:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Thanks for the reporting, seems like we view WDW the same way. There is no excuse for poor show, and that seems to be more common then not nowadays.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Crowded parks does not a good show make. If it wasn't for the outrageous discounts being offered, the park would be significantly less full. Disney will have to reverse course if they want to keep the parks full and operating. They can not continue to offer these ridiculous discounts, free dining, etc.... and then make the parks less and less magical. That is not the way WDW became the greatest place in the world.

jt04

Crowded parks does not a good show make. If it wasn't for the outrageous discounts being offered, the park would be significantly less full. Disney will have to reverse course if they want to keep the parks full and operating. They can not continue to offer these ridiculous discounts, free dining, etc.... and then make the parks less and less magical. That is not the way WDW became the greatest place in the world.

It's called a recession, they have always discounted during bad economic times and always will. It is economics 101. Big picture people, big picture.

PS- The Chinese are done subsidizing our economy and HUGE tax increases are coming to all the earners out there. So expect the discounts and cutbacks to become even larger. You ain't seen nothing yet. Because eventually the discounts won't draw in the crowds and we all know what happens then. Polish up those resumes. Just sayin'.

lebeau

It's called a recession, they have always discounted during bad economic times and always will. It is economics 101. Big picture people, big picture.

PS- The Chinese are done subsidizing our economy and HUGE tax increases are coming to all the earners out there. So expect the discounts and cutbacks to become even larger. You ain't seen nothing yet. Because eventually the discounts won't draw in the crowds and we all know what happens then. Polish up those resumes. Just sayin'.

Iger has stated that the discounts will be scaled back in the latter half of 2010.

Whether or not that happens is a matter of speculation.

jt04

Iger has stated that the discounts will be scaled back in the latter half of 2010.

Whether or not that happens is a matter of speculation.

He is doing what everyone here accuses me of doing. Wearing rose colored glasses. But I don't see it happening and I'm not given to doom and gloom. But I just don't see how the economy gets well with all the tax increases the American people are about to be victimized by.

:(

lebeau

He is doing what everyone here accuses me of doing. Wearing rose colored glasses. But I don't see it happening and I'm not given to doom and gloom. But I just don't see how the economy gets well with all the tax increases the American people are about to be victimized by.

:(

I'll play your usual role and say that I think everything will be just fine as far as America is concerned. You know, we have a new sherrif.

mcjaco

And before the DoM chime in, just think of it this way: 15 years from now you'll likely be stuck with this same attraction. And it will be the worst of SIX Space Mountains in the world by a large margin. And could they not have painted the damn thing? Seriously.

Sorry, I have to chime in. MK's will still be better than DLP's.

Yeah, Michael Roddy did an amazing job with revitalizing Grinchmas and finally writing a quality B&T show this year. He will be heavily missed from Universal.

I think everyone gives Roddy too much credit. I've thought the last few HHN's seemed to be rather bland. The same old, same old, and the emphasis was on what characters they could bring in, and not on the content.

Yes, he'll be missed, but I think things were getting a bit stagnant.

DisneyMusician2

Same as usual, whatever you can find or invent that is even remotely supportive of your own jaundiced view.

Although I do believe the banter is not really appropriate in this thread, as this is a FANTASTIC report, the touring plans people are exceptionally reliable.

Believe what you want, and take the report for the reasonable account it appears to be.

hack2112

I think everyone gives Roddy too much credit. I've thought the last few HHN's seemed to be rather bland. The same old, same old, and the emphasis was on what characters they could bring in, and not on the content.

Yes, he'll be missed, but I think things were getting a bit stagnant.
You can't possibly tell me 2008 was about characters. 2007's houses were great (except for Vampyr), but Marketing cut out the budget for more scareactors and scarezones, and essentially brought Jack back (They've managed to retell and recreate his story how many times now?) so they had to make due with the sideshow entertainment that was there. 2009 was recession year, so Julian's back story had to take a back seat to the big names they brought in to pull in the masses, and they obviously learned from 2007's mistakes, since other than a few of the scarezones, there was really nothing bad about the year. Even my least favorite house (Wolfman) was an absolutely amazing sight to see. With all of that said, however, he will be missed, but new blood is generally always a good thing in this kind of industry.

Not to drift the thread too much but the man responsible for writing Bill and Ted for the past few years has been Mike Aiello. He would be the proper credit for being one of the many talents of writing groups and the director of the show.
True, he has been writing it over the past years, but Roddy (and others) actually focused their attention on the show since it had been seriously lacking in anything good since 2006. And I thought the show was good enough for a few more viewings, but, alas, I only get one night to see what I wait so long for. :eek:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Although I do believe the banter is not really appropriate in this thread, as this is a FANTASTIC report, the touring plans people are exceptionally reliable.

Believe what you want, and take the report for the reasonable account it appears to be.

Ill note your comment on banter and file it in the appropriate recepticle.

Ill also treat Touring Plans comments as I always have.

Main Street USA

Now? Well, imagine spending $5K on a magical WDW visit (got that Discover Card charged to the limit because you don't live like Suzie Orman tells you to ... or the wacky rightwingers who believe our economy tanked because of common folk living above their means and not because we Walmarted our country and have no manufacturing base and every company wants to pay people as little as possible but ... I digress ... back to WDW) ... and you're there with your kids on what seems like an empty day when 4 p.m. strikes and you sense a more than disquieting metamorphosis.

I must say...your report would be a great pleasure to read if it weren't for non-WDW garbage like this. I'd venture a guess that not too many people on a WDW board care to hear your political opinions, or your opinions on why this country is where it is today.

Whether I agree with you or not, there's no need to drag stuff like this into an informative, fun, and otherwise well written WDW report.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom