Spirited WDW Observations, News and Provocative Comments

WDW1974

Original Poster
Usually, I don't like to quote myself, but the following is a response I made on Micechat to Kevin Yee's latest column. I think it covers my opinions on the hard-ticket CPs that ended last night and how they affect a MK visit:

The MVMCPs (or as I call them Mickey Extorts Christmas From Bumpkin Tourists Parties) are indeed as you state them.

For some history, they began in 1983 on two nights. Now, they begin before Veteran's Day (would be sooner, but they have Halloween Parties too!) ... and Disney also doesn't start REGULAR daily showings of holiday entertainment until late (12/19 this year, but has been as late as the 22nd or 23rd in past years).

Until some point in this decade, they'd do a hard close at 6 and reopen at 7. It required far more labor to kick everyone out of the park, but it also assured a certain level of quality for day visitors in a way that didn't make them feel they were missing anything.

Now? Well, imagine spending $5K on a magical WDW visit (got that Discover Card charged to the limit because you don't live like Suzie Orman tells you to ... or the wacky rightwingers who believe our economy tanked because of common folk living above their means and not because we Walmarted our country and have no manufacturing base and every company wants to pay people as little as possible but ... I digress ... back to WDW) ... and you're there with your kids on what seems like an empty day when 4 p.m. strikes and you sense a more than disquieting metamorphosis.

Suddenly, CMs have changed and have swanky vests and holiday hats.

Suddenly, you notice the MK actually has an amazing lighting package that is turned on.

Suddenly, you notice projections of snow angels and the like on buildings in Tomorrowland.

Suddenly, you see characters out in holiday-themed meet and greets.

Suddenly, the music is turned up and every 15 minutes you hear the PA inviting you to purchase tickets for tonight's party.

And, yeah, suddenly your kids want to know why they can't stay and spend the night partying with Mickey and seeing Santa.

Sorry to the DoMers here, but I've watched the results and they're often quite ugly. ... It's an in your face sales job, done to pressure people into paying an extra $59 (seems like it was just $25 a few years ago ... oh, yeah, cause it was ... oh, and that was when they gave you a free photo ... and when they had a REAL stage show in T-Land ... and when they had another stage show in the Diamond Horseshoe ... and before they cut three minutes out of the pyro show ... but hey, who's counting, right?)

I don't doubt that for many people, as some have already stated, the early entry into the party actually can be a value. I'm also sure that for many people having chicken nuggets and burgers on every menu or having characters all over the place or the same merchandise in every store is also better and more convenient.

But none of them are good. They all dumb the product down.

The parties also aren't so exclusive as many 'stragglers' manage to stay for hours into them so they can catch the entertainment, even if it means not getting on attractions.

Phil Holmes and crew know this, but the chase for the almighty buck is what's so crucial. And these parties (like DVC and the DDP) have become cash cows for the rodent ... although take a look at how many folks were paying discounted rates to enter this year and how few nights actually sold out vs other years.>>

It was amazing, btw, to see MK go from near empty last Friday to packed at 4 p.m. when party-goers started cramming the place. It reminded me of Fridays in Anaheim where you can have DL to yourself almost from 10-5 and then school gets out and people get home from work ... and it suddenly feels like a stadium full of people just got plopped into the park.

Next up: A Future (World) Without Christmas.

RetiredFRN

AGREE with Christmas Observations

I have been going DW since I was a teenager, ( I am soon to be 50!) I had never been there at XMAS time so my DD and I went this year for 5 days. Maybe I expected too much but I have to agree with everything that was stated, it wasn't what I expected. I still enjoyed the stay, but I thought the XMAS theme was missing at MK and EPCOT. The rainy and cold weather didn't help but I too noticed the lack of lightning at EPCOT. The day we went to MK was packed (sunday) but we went back for MVMCP and really enjoyed ourselves, glad we did it, basically walked on to every ride. I thought the CM's were great this trip, maye they were trying to make up for the lack of XMAS in the parks. Our last day was at HS, nice day and very quiet park. Walked on to HM and RNC multiple times. We even had fast passes left over for RNC and we gave them away to a couple in standby (which at that time was a 60 min wait) we were trying to get some XMAS spirit in the park!! All in all a good trip but a little dissapointed. Is DW losing the magic? I hope not.

lilclerk

We didn't hit Sea World, but I felt the most Christmasy at Seuss Landing in Islands of Adventure. It was just dripping with holiday spirit, I loved it... I'm a big Seuss fan though and it's one of my favorite theme park areas to begin with.

The Osborne Lights were great as well, but that was about all WDW had going for it. We attended the Christmas party, and I was sorta disappointed. It wasn't as quiet as I had hoped. Rides weren't walk-on till 11ish and we didn't really care for any of the entertainment going on. The castle lights are spectacular, but it just wasn't enough... am I being greedy? I hope not.

All in all, I won't be visiting WDW at Christmas again, unless they show that they're really ramping up the festivities someday.

Figment1986

We didn't hit Sea World, but I felt the most Christmasy at Seuss Landing in Islands of Adventure. It was just dripping with holiday spirit, I loved it... I'm a big Seuss fan though and it's one of my favorite theme park areas to begin with.

The Whos doing Streetmasphere in Seuss landings als help make it a hoot... One was near the Grinch meet and greet and kept moving the sign (in an obvious way for the photographer handling the queue to put it back up a few mins later)

the others would react to anything Grinch, including a man who hat one of those Grinch santa hats :lol:

yoyoflamingo

WDW1974, good to see one of your reports. I always look forward to reading them.

The first weekend of December my wife and I went with a group of people to WDW. This was our firs Christmas experience in the World, and we wanted to cram as much as we could into the weekend as possible. First, the Lights of Winter being canceled help eliminate the plans we had for EPCOT one night to see them, but we still planned lots to do.

Overall, the weekend the parade taping is happening almost cuts short even more what the Magic Kingdom does. No tree, no garland over Main Street, and on December 5th, Walt's birthday, the Partners statue was covered with an ugly blue boat tarp. I know it was for the filming and was later verified that it was covered with presents, but what respect can you get for the man who created this all?

As far as decorations in the MK...I'll agree with Main Street (even it it was limited) and I did see garland and lights in Liberty Square/Frontierland, but Toontown Fair just screamed tacky...we passed it on the train, and saw the awful molded plastic banners they hung on the station and in Toon Park...they were hollow on the inside so looking from the Train Station you could see how cheap they were! It really saddened me to see such cheap ornaments, but I guess it is better than tht other lands with nothing (except there were trees in the old skyway building/stroller parking in Fantasyland as well).

I will say that the 2 experiences we had with Chrsitmas that were wonderful were the Osborne Lights, as you said. Truly over the top but wonderful at the same time, and the passing of the Candleight Processional, which put me more in the Christmas mood than any other time in WDW. Santas around the world were good the 2 we saw, (one even stopped to pick up a napkin on the ground and throw it out), and the deluxes for the most part were decorated to varying degrees (Poly seemed lacking, as did Contemporary, GF, Yacht and Beach Club much more), but overall, there did seem to be a lack of holiday theming and the need for MORE. Perhaps I was expecting too much, but based on your post, it seems I'm not alone.

Sorry to hikacl the thread, but thought I'd recount my experiences as well.

hack2112

The Osborne Lights were great as well, but that was about all WDW had going for it. We attended the Christmas party, and I was sorta disappointed. It wasn't as quiet as I had hoped. Rides weren't walk-on till 11ish and we didn't really care for any of the entertainment going on. The castle lights are spectacular, but it just wasn't enough... am I being greedy? I hope not.

All in all, I won't be visiting WDW at Christmas again, unless they show that they're really ramping up the festivities someday.

The Whos doing Streetmasphere in Seuss landings als help make it a hoot... One was near the Grinch meet and greet and kept moving the sign (in an obvious way for the photographer handling the queue to put it back up a few mins later)

the others would react to anything Grinch, including a man who hat one of those Grinch santa hats :lol:

Yeah, Michael Roddy did an amazing job with revitalizing Grinchmas and finally writing a quality B&T show this year. He will be heavily missed from Universal.

Tom Morrow

Personally, I feel that WDW actually overdoes it for Christmas. I don't see how much more you could possibly want without it being overkill.

Keep in mind that unlike Disneyland, which caters to the locals, WDW attractions people from all over the world, many of which will only visit once or twice in their lifetime, and I bet many of them just want the WDW experience and don't want Christmas shoved down their throat everywhere they go.

Also, its much easier for DL to go all out for Christmas, being that its a fraction of the size of WDW.

SirGoofy

Personally, I feel that WDW actually overdoes it for Christmas. I don't see how much more you could possibly want without it being overkill.

Keep in mind that unlike Disneyland, which caters to the locals, WDW attractions people from all over the world, many of which will only visit once or twice in their lifetime, and I bet many of them just want the WDW experience and don't want Christmas shoved down their throat everywhere they go.

Also, its much easier for DL to go all out for Christmas, being that its a fraction of the size of WDW.

:rolleyes:

Please, it's not like it's always been the sparse. If they don't want Christmas at Disney, don't come during the holidays.

P.S. and totally off topic....Everyone and anyone should see Avatar. Honestly...the best movie going experience I've ever had. I feel like I just saw Star Wars in 1977.:sohappy:

Tom Morrow

Some people (many) can only get the time off to come during the holidays.

Also, Christmas at Disney is approx. 1/6th of every year, so its not like its really easy to avoid for those people.

OMGZ THEY DIDN'T PUT UP TEH LIGHTS @ EPCOT, DISNEY IS SLACKING OFF 4 CHRISTMAS

wickedfan07

Also, Christmas at Disney is approx. 1/6th of every year, so its not like its really easy to avoid for those people.

You walked into the wrong thread, Mr. Morrow...

Your argument against large-scale Christmas decorations is certainly interesting. However, there's a flaw in your logic. By your reasoning, anything out of the ordinary day-to-day experience has the potential to detract from a given Guest's personal experience in the parks. This includes the Flower and Garden Festival, the food and Wine Festival, Independence Day decorations, Halloween decorations, etc. Why bother celebrating anything if it's going to detract from the standard Disney experience?

The fact is, additional decorations and entertainment specific to any given season or festival IS appropriate and expected in the parks. I believe they ADD value to the experience! How can you say that having the Lights of winter up and running detracts from the Epcot experience? Is it really detracting from the Epcot experience to have garland on the lampposts? these minor details add to the spirit of the holiday season and generally are unobtrusive within the environment. Large-scale additions like the Lights of Winter or the Osbourne Lights are only temporary, and I highly doubt many people complained that their night in Epcot was ruined because of a special holiday light display.

This is like saying that every attraction must operate daily no matter what. Refurbishments and down-times in attractions and shows detract from the guest experience, but they are necessary. Apply your logic to refurbishments. They're out of the ordinary and a once-in-a-lifetime visitor might miss something, therefore ride closures must not happen. It's a little more extreme than holiday decorations, but it's the same line of thinking. Refurbishments have to happen sometime, and so they do. Unlike refurbishments, holiday decorations don't take away from anything!

If I were visiting WDW only once in my life, I personally wouldn't mind it being Christmastime. As I said before, the additional decorations and entertainment (when they actually appear) generally ADD value to the experience and makie it more memorable, not the opposite.

As for the current state of thedecorations this year, I haven't seen them in person so I can't judge. However, I am disappointed by the cancellation of the Lights of Winter. Further, I am also disappointed by the apparent lack of decoration accross property. It worries me, not because of this might be one off yar fo Disney, but because this reflects a long-term trend towards reduced quality and diminished value.

PhotoDave219

Okay, Disney threw down the gauntlet here and struck a nerve with most of us, including the less-ferverant, non-fanbois like myself.

Christmas at Disney used to be something special. It was amazing. The parade (before they cut it in half) was something to behold along with all the decorations and entertainment. People would come specifically at Christmas just to experience Christmas at Disney.

What has occurred is a travesty. Paying higher prices for less entertainment? No decorations? Less quality?

People will put up for the death of Disney Dining. (Used to be AMAZING, then YOAMD) People will put up with cost increases for admission. But people have finally reached their breaking point and to have Disney not be all amazing for Christmas? Its become the last straw.

I almost drove down on Friday for the weekend. My dad is there. I would have wanted to see ROE:Holiday tag and LOW and the old holiday parade and Mickey's Twas the night before christmas.

Guess what? 3 of those things are gone and the other got thinned out.

Its just not worth the 8 hour drive.

imagineer boy

What?! "don't want Christmas shoved down their throat everywhere they go." What?! Since when do most people not like Christmas?! That's a rediculous aguement. People love the decorations and being in the Christmas mood. Having Christmas at WDW makes the trip extra special.

Seriously, what rediculous logic. "There shouldn't be decorations because people don't want Christmas shoved down their throat." That would probably only be if they were a bunch of Grinches. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

tirian

The issues go far beyond the arches at Epcot; this was just the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back. Repeat Guests, especially APs and DVC members, have been noticing the cuts and choosing to turn a blind eye to them for various reasons. The most recent cuts were obviously done in spite of showmanship—even before the LoW arches were found to be broken—and people have had enough of it.

But regardless of what you think, the majority of people come to Disney during the holidays for seasonal celebrations; otherwise, MVMCP, Candlelight, and the Osborne Lights wouldn't be so popular. Of course there are always exceptions, and maybe some Guests are there for other reasons. Exceptions don't matter. Disney's Christmas events are well known and publicized; it isn't like Guests don't expect or know about them.

Okay, Disney threw down the gauntlet here and struck a nerve with most of us, including the less-ferverant, non-fanbois like myself.

Christmas at Disney used to be something special. It was amazing. The parade (before they cut it in half) was something to behold along with all the decorations and entertainment. People would come specifically at Christmas just to experience Christmas at Disney.

What has occurred is a travesty. Paying higher prices for less entertainment? No decorations? Less quality?

People will put up for the death of Disney Dining. (Used to be AMAZING, then YOAMD) People will put up with cost increases for admission. But people have finally reached their breaking point and to have Disney not be all amazing for Christmas? Its become the last straw.

I almost drove down on Friday for the weekend. My dad is there. I would have wanted to see ROE:Holiday tag and LOW and the old holiday parade and Mickey's Twas the night before christmas.

Guess what? 3 of those things are gone and the other got thinned out.

Its just not worth the 8 hour drive.

Worth quoting b/c it's true.

tirian

What?! "don't want Christmas shoved down their throat everywhere they go." What?! Since when do most people not like Christmas?! That's a rediculous aguement. People love the decorations and being in the Christmas mood. Having Christmas at WDW makes the trip extra special.

Seriously, what rediculous logic. "There shouldn't be decorations because people don't want Christmas shoved down their throat." That would probably only be if they were a bunch of Grinches. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

"Don't want Christmas shoved down their throats."

America is the only place where somebody would pretend to be culturally sensitive and make a silly comment like that.

Christmas covers Santa, snowmen, reindeer, gingerbread, trees, lights, holly, garland, toys, cinnamon, snow, sleighs, jingle bells, ice sculptures, mistletoe, nutcrackers, certain candies, and much more. Culturally, Christmas is not "just" a religious holiday being shoved down people's throats.

Disney didn't think so either. The cuts had NOTHING TO DO WITH CHRISTMAS ITSELF. That's an Internet myth as false as supposedly building a giant hat to cover a non-copyrighted building. Every cut was purely financial.

WDW1974

Original Poster
"Don't want Christmas shoved down their throats."

America is the only place where somebody would pretend to be culturally sensitive and make a silly comment like that.

Christmas covers Santa, snowmen, reindeer, gingerbread, trees, lights, holly, garland, toys, cinnamon, snow, sleighs, jingle bells, ice sculptures, mistletoe, nutcrackers, certain candies, and much more. Culturally, Christmas is not "just" a religious holiday being shoved down people's throats.

Disney didn't think so either. The cuts had NOTHING TO DO WITH CHRISTMAS ITSELF. That's an Internet myth as false as supposedly building a giant hat to cover a non-copyrighted building. Every cut was purely financial.

Exactly!

I do NOT celebrate Christmas in any sort of religious way. But I love the holiday and the season just the same. And even enjoy some of the religious ceremonies too.

People love to defend da man and really take a look around the whole freaking planet if you think that's a wise way of going through what limited time we have to live here on this rock spinning through the cosmos.

Anyway, I just don't want this thread taken over by inane tangents (unless of course, I'm the one who's starting them!)

And even though I promised to head to EPCOT next ... I want to cover some other ground first. :xmas:

WDW1974

Original Poster
First place I actually went to at WDW wasn't a park at all, but my favorite resort: WL.

It immediately put me in the Christmas mood and I was a bit wistful I wasn't able to snag a room, especially after hearing how a CM pal got his family a room this week for just around $100 a night. Oh well, another time to add to my record number of nights in a Disney resort.

While the decorations were absolutely stunning and all over, there have been cuts ... major ones over the years. Go back a decade (or even less) and the main tree was surrounded by an intricate train display. That left and was replaced by generic presents and props.

Well, those are all gone and the tree looks pretty naked ... but Disney does have a nice bench for you to sit by the tree where one of their PhotoPass pals will snap a lovely family photo for a low-low-no-no price.

Also, wandered next door to the WLV, still my favorite DVC resort. They also had a new (or new to me since 2006 was my last holiday visit there) tree that was nice, but seemed smaller.

I spent 45 minutes blissfully rocking away in front of the fireplace in the Spike Room. That is heaven to me. And that's why I look at the entirety of what makes up WDW. It's a whole lot more than foamheads and Space Mountain and pin lanyards. I'm sorry to those who can't think beyond those things and choose not to enjoy what really makes the World such a great place (remind me to tell y'all about taking a boat cruise from DD to PO at night and listening to some jazz at the lounge ... another one of the highlights of my holiday trip!)

anyway, things I noticed at the WL ... new carpet runners ... and the first CM I encountered just looked miserable, but caught herself when we made eye contact. Also, saw about six-eight deer just under the monorail track before you turn onto Timberline Dr ... that was a regular occurance as I saw loads of deer, turkeys, otters, vultures and even a few gators at WDW. More than I have ever seen in one trip, and I can only surmise the destruction of even more natural lands for the Four Seasons and Flamingo Crossings projects and infrastructure has pushed them closer to people.

Anyway, after WL it was off to Contemporary for a brief visit. Decor was minimal,but nice. CMs were all VERY nice. Smiles, holiday greetings and Disney 'tude.

A few random MK thoughts now that I left out/forgot:

$6.59 buys you a non-beef hot dog and fries at Casey's.

There is nothing exciting about the new restrooms (or old but renovated) near Space Mountain. Not even airblades. They should have bulldozed the building and actually built something.

The Emporium has had some work since my last visit. Much merchandise space has disappeared so the store can now have a line of ECVs and double-wide strollers go through it. It really is sickening. These things should be banned from the stores. How lazy must one be to use them inside? This is unheard of in the foreign resorts and much, much, much less of an issue in Anaheim. Ultimately, management is saying it's kewl because they're making it easier for people to use these things when the rational (and even healthy) response would be the opposite. Bottom line is fat lazy people mean more chaos in shopping. Not that it matters as it's been years since I bought anything at that store.

Mansion is great, great, great ... BUT CMs really need to forcefully tell guests to shut their pieholes in the stretch room. The Phantom Manor CMs in Paris do a magnificent job of it there. And I'm getting tired of having to shhhhhhush the masses.

Oh, and while I am happy Tentland is decorated I will agree the decorations are very cheap and very tacky and soon very likely at Property Control (where some PI signage and props are now!)

Next up: Taquitos, tequila and a future (world) without Christmas. (unless I change my mind first)

T-1MILLION

Yeah, Michael Roddy did an amazing job with revitalizing Grinchmas and finally writing a quality B&T show this year. He will be heavily missed from Universal.

Not to drift the thread too much but the man responsible for writing Bill and Ted for the past few years has been Mike Aiello. He would be the proper credit for being one of the many talents of writing groups and the director of the show.

As for Michael Roddy as always he brought the joy of Christmas to lfie with the Grinch. The stage is just beautiful and it fits right in with the rest of Suess landing like you are looking on to a Whoville neighborhood. I don't know of any other christmas show with even a trained dog on set for the experience (they have a real dog trained to play the part of Max, The Grinch's Dog) Universal also has Macy's next door where if you want to volunteer a guest can be a part of the magic and help an actual Macy's Day Parade Baloon teams. Also look at the Giant tree at Universal studios. Lot of hidden references in there including a pneumatic squirrel head that will pop out in reference to National Lampoons' Christmas Vacation. The studios has also seen nightime concerts throughout the Month like Manheim Steamroller for holiday treats.

As mentioned by WDW1974 and others Sea World also has tons of stuff with new shows.Polar Express ride that really exits into the 'North Pole' and nightime entertainment with all the atmosphere.

The big thing with these christmas festivities? They are all included with park admission. No extra hard ticket fees to enjoy the holidays. I think that is another aspect where we should be expecting more from Disney with The Magic Kingdom if they are going to charge for them. Disney should always be top knotch regardless.

Great job 1974. I like your outlook on things. It is constructive and realistic without sugar coating anything.

Animaniac93-98

Spring Break, Easter, Summer, Presidents Day...

So...what are they doing the other 5/6ths of the year?

If you don't like Xmas at Disney that's fine, but I hope you realize what you sound like by bashing tinsel and assuming everybody hates it as much as you do.

RSoxNo1

I'd like to see things like Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party become standard fair in the Magic Kingdom, and not a pay event.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom