Spirited WDW Observations, News and Provocative Comments

Expo_Seeker40

"Originally Posted by WDW1974
Now? Well, imagine spending $5K on a magical WDW visit (got that Discover Card charged to the limit...."

Is this paper credit card statement actually stretching? Or is it just your imagination hmmmm? And consider this dismaying observation: This statement as no APR and no refinance....mmmhmhmhmhmh....which offers you this chilling challenge: to find a way out AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA. Of course there's always my way... :lookaroun

WDW1974

Original Poster

Ah ... showing the online bulge again, JT!:ROFLOL::eek::xmas:

First, if you want to discredit me you should at least attempt to stick to the facts. I was there for 10 days beginning 12/7. The page you link to largely is talking about crowds this past Saturday, which was 12/19 ... and a 9-1 operating day AND the first day you could see the Christmas entertainment without paying an extra $59 for the chance.

I'm sure it was crowded. It was crowded Saturday 12/12 as well. I stated as much.

But it was downright EMPTY earlier in the week with a few exceptions.

Some folks don't also understand how things like FP, reduced capacity, double-wide strollers and ECVs etc all make a park FEEL busier than it actually is.

I actually got in a heated (animated a better term?) with a CM Ops pal of an online 'celeb' when he tried to tell me that what I was seeing with my own eyes wasn't reality. I just said he needed to rub the pixie dust out of his eyes and look at what was there, not what he (or the company) wanted to see. It was fun!:drevil:

Anyway, it was nice to see old 'offseason' type crowd levels (and ones that wouldn't be harming the company IF it didn't build 30,000 hotel rooms and timeshares).

I expect things will be getting progressively more crowded from here on out until around 1/2 when they'll start to drop bigtime. I eagerly await the breathless phased closing threads and am very glad I won't be anywhere near the place.:xmas::wave::xmas:

WDW1974

Original Poster
When we were in WDW two weeks ago, DHS was closing at 7 every night. With the lighting ceremony at dusk (around 6:00), this left less than a hour to enjoy the amazing display. And what I found most annoying were the signs placed about that stated the lights would turn off promptly at 7:00. This sounds a lot like MVMCP so I was surprised they were going to be so quick to show guests the gate.

Yeah. When I was there it was a mix of 7 and 8 closings depending on the night. They're now at 8 closings the rest of the week until going to 9 on Christmas (with 9-midnight EMH that night, wonder how the day guests feel?)

I never saw signs saying the lights would go out at a certain time. I was there on two nights and one night left about 7:50 and another at 8:20 with the lights still on and performing.

I've since been told the lights stay on one hour after close, but if that is indeed the case (and I believe it is) Disney does nothing to publicize the fact at all.

I spend quite a bit of time each holiday season putting up 10,000+ lights and decorations outside my house. They start the Osbourne lights in August and put in countless hours. The way I look at my display is based on all the time I put in, I want to make sure there is ample time for everyone to enjoy it (which is the reason I do it in the first place). I just changed my timer from 10:00 pm to 12:00 am for exactly this reason. If you're going to go to all that trouble, make it worth it!

This trip was primarily for the purpose of seeing the decorations, as we were just there in August. We had a great trip and really got in the Christmas spirit. I still couldn't help but notice, however, that there was even less than our trip three years ago during the holidays (especially Epcot). Hopefully this doesn't continue! :xmas:

That's my take. I had a great time. And especially enjoyed some of the resorts, the Osborne Lights, Sea World's new holiday offerings and an empty, cool MK.

But please let's not have folks making excuses for management cutting quality. We're about to embark on a new decade after one that has really sucked and has been keyed by a defending da man mantra ... let's stop.

:xmas::xmas::xmas:
:xmas::xmas:
:xmas:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdan0920
Thanks for the reporting, seems like we view WDW the same way. There is no excuse for poor show, and that seems to be more common then not nowadays.

JT, I know you're trying to derail the thread, as usual.

And I'd hate to bother 'Mom' with it since I know she has to go buy my holiday presents and get them wrapped (shouldn't wait til the last minute!!!):xmas:

But do you even READ what you post?

READ the responses to what you linked to ... READ about people commenting about lowering of quality and standards and paying more. READ WHAT YOU LINK TO! ... because what I read simply backed up what I have posted largely or talked about crowds this past weekend when I wasn't there.:xmas:

WDW1974

Original Poster
It's called a recession, they have always discounted during bad economic times and always will. It is economics 101. Big picture people, big picture.

Disney has NEVER dicounted like it has in 2009. Never. Ever.

Book four nights, get three free. Eat free. Merchandise gift cards.

40% off deluxe resorts during the busiest two weeks of the year.

Giving APers 10% off all merchandise ... nope let's make it 20% during the holiday period.

Sale-priced merchandise all over.

Instead of having lower numbers, but keeping the premium brand label, Disney has reverted to cosntant discounting and that has Wall Street (rightfully) worried. But it makes the short term numbers look a lot better than they would or should.

But at the cost of devaluing the brand. People become addicted to discounting (look at the pheonomenon of Black Friday, Walmart or even the airline industry domestically).

The Weatherman can lie all he wants about scaling back discounts in 2010, but the reality (and he well knows it especially with NOTHING happening at WDW) is they'll be inforce all through the new year.:xmas:

PS- The Chinese are done subsidizing our economy and HUGE tax increases are coming to all the earners out there. So expect the discounts and cutbacks to become even larger. You ain't seen nothing yet. Because eventually the discounts won't draw in the crowds and we all know what happens then. Polish up those resumes. Just sayin'.

Ah, so you want to bring in politics and taxes? I say RAISE them taxes as high as you want ... so long as the money goes to health care ... to education ... to job creation ... and to infrastructure ... and NOT to the wealthy ... to Wall Street ... to Big Business ... or to Iraq. Taxes haven't exactly been low this decade ... yet my money has gone to almost nothing I support and many things I don't. :xmas::cry::xmas:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Being as contrary as a woman, my own opinion was that the Thanks Giving Weekend and the following week felt busier than the same period last year. However much of that feeling came from congested walk ways home to squadrons of marauding pensioners and salad dodgers in ECVs and the epidemic of Nimitz class strollers with their spoiled and pampered occupants and half witted drive mechanism. Qs were acceptable in the main, with the odd case of artificial line creation such as SSE where for at least the 1st hour only one side would operate, or BTMR where it seemed only 1 train was running.
I also visited Sea World and was very impressed with the place, especially the Polar Express overlay. However Sea World lost marks as if my memory of a Discovery Channel program are correct the polar bear was exhibiting all the signs of a very unhappy bear, of the non blue nose variety. Busch Gardens is Epcotesque in its seasonal decor, and despite its great attractions as shabby as any UK park, though oddly enough in this country we have built coasters that can function when it rains. Maybe something the new owners can pick up on.

tirian

Disney has NEVER dicounted like it has in 2009. Never. Ever.

Book four nights, get three free. Eat free. Merchandise gift cards.

40% off deluxe resorts during the busiest two weeks of the year.

Giving APers 10% off all merchandise ... nope let's make it 20% during the holiday period.

Sale-priced merchandise all over.

Instead of having lower numbers, but keeping the premium brand label, Disney has reverted to cosntant discounting and that has Wall Street (rightfully) worried. But it makes the short term numbers look a lot better than they would or should.

But at the cost of devaluing the brand. People become addicted to discounting (look at the pheonomenon of Black Friday, Walmart or even the airline industry domestically).

The Weatherman can lie all he wants about scaling back discounts in 2010, but the reality (and he well knows it especially with NOTHING happening at WDW) is they'll be inforce all through the new year.:xmas:

Ah, so you want to bring in politics and taxes? I say RAISE them taxes as high as you want ... so long as the money goes to health care ... to education ... to job creation ... and to infrastructure ... and NOT to the wealthy ... to Wall Street ... to Big Business ... or to Iraq. Taxes haven't exactly been low this decade ... yet my money has gone to almost nothing I support and many things I don't. :xmas::cry::xmas:

Have you seen the discounts for 2010?

They're offering 40% off select deluxe resorts and 45% off DVCs nearly every day except about a total of two weeks.

Code OKR. :D

WDW1974

Original Poster
Being as contrary as a woman, my own opinion was that the Thanks Giving Weekend and the following week felt busier than the same period last year. However much of that feeling came from congested walk ways home to squadrons of marauding pensioners and salad dodgers in ECVs and the epidemic of Nimitz class strollers with their spoiled and pampered occupants and half witted drive mechanism. Qs were acceptable in the main, with the odd case of artificial line creation such as SSE where for at least the 1st hour only one side would operate, or BTMR where it seemed only 1 train was running.
I also visited Sea World and was very impressed with the place, especially the Polar Express overlay. However Sea World lost marks as if my memory of a Discovery Channel program are correct the polar bear was exhibiting all the signs of a very unhappy bear, of the non blue nose variety. Busch Gardens is Epcotesque in its seasonal decor, and despite its great attractions as shabby as any UK park, though oddly enough in this country we have built coasters that can function when it rains. Maybe something the new owners can pick up on.

Can I just say that I love your posts (whether I agree, disagree or in the middle)?

You got 'it'!:xmas:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Have you seen the discounts for 2010?

They're offering 40% off select deluxe resorts and 45% off DVCs nearly every day except about a total of two weeks.

Code OKR. :D

No. Hadn't seen that.

But I got a pin code deal (about my fifth this year after NEVER getting one before ... guess they noticed that 2009 was my first year since sometime in the 1980s that I didn't spend one night in a WDW owned and operated hotel) about a month and a half ago that had similar discounts that went into June with a few exceptions (two weeks around Easter, Race Weekend maybe Memorial Day weekend too).

WDW is now The Discounted Timeshare Kingdom of the World!:eek::xmas::eek:

_Scar

No. Hadn't seen that.

But I got a pin code deal (about my fifth this year after NEVER getting one before ... guess they noticed that 2009 was my first year since sometime in the 1980s that I didn't spend one night in a WDW owned and operated hotel) about a month and a half ago that had similar discounts that went into June with a few exceptions (two weeks around Easter, Race Weekend maybe Memorial Day weekend too).

WDW is now The Discounted Timeshare Kingdom of the World!:eek::xmas::eek:

It'll still cost an arm and a leg to have a week or longer vacation though... I would know. :/

imagineer boy

I must say...your report would be a great pleasure to read if it weren't for non-WDW garbage like this. I'd venture a guess that not too many people on a WDW board care to hear your political opinions, or your opinions on why this country is where it is today.

Whether I agree with you or not, there's no need to drag stuff like this into an informative, fun, and otherwise well written WDW report.

I agree. 74, I think you're awesome, but a little less politics please. :wave:

WDW1974

Original Poster
I agree. 74, I think you're awesome, but a little less politics please. :wave:

Sorry, I make no promises.

When talking about discounting or how WDW is run as a publically traded company and how many of those management decisions aren't in the best interests of fans, guests, and employees, it's hard to not touch on them.

It's akin to folks who think you can talk about the HoP without it being political (BTW, thankfully, I didn't have any of the crazies that either hoot or jeer for every Prez starting with Reagan as I did in my summer visit!)

Believe me, I'm quite 'toned down' when I post!:eek::D:xmas:

WDW1974

Original Poster
It'll still cost an arm and a leg to have a week or longer vacation though... I would know. :/

True. But a WDW vacation can actually be a bargain IF you do it right.

That means not staying on property ... not eating most meals at Disney dining locations ... and not buying $30 tees and $16 pins.

I stayed at two of the nicest hotels in Orlando and paid less than the least-expensive discounted rate of a WDW value resort these days.

Some folks don't believe you can enjoy WDW without being on-property and as someone who has stayed at EVERY WDW resort (most many times) I can categorically say that's simply the pixie dust talking. :ROFLOL::king::xmas:

_Scar

That means not staying on property ... not eating most meals at Disney dining locations ... and not buying $30 tees and $16 pins.

I stayed at two of the nicest hotels in Orlando and paid less than the least-expensive discounted rate of a WDW value resort these days.

Some folks don't believe you can enjoy WDW without being on-property and as someone who has stayed at EVERY WDW resort (most many times) I can categorically say that's simply the pixie dust talking. :ROFLOL::king::xmas:

I stayed on the Cabins- which were okay butcost a fortune. I've always had bad luck on off property resorts- I've given up on finding a decent one. If we were to plan it out way before (my family hates reservations- why? I have no idea) then we could of stayed in the Dolphin for half the price with Florida resident discount. I got a view of the entire DHS- without even paying extra. I've learned my lesson. :cry:

tirian

Since WDW1974 already sang your praises, I won't compliment this, because we can't handle your head getting any bigger than it is.

But it is hilarious...

tirian

I think it's worth the extra $$$ to stay in walking distance of Epcot.

The pixie dust works when you're that close to World Showcase. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom