Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalkingHead

I keep reading about 4 Rivers here! Must try it one day!

I fell in love with BBQ when I moved to central Florida and was delighted to find that Sonny's has a drive-through. Why don't people eat this stuff up north?! It's so good! (Not good for you, though, obviously.)

Don't you mean Sonny's BBQ (sic)?

I'll eat there from time to time, but afterwards I always wonder why I didn't go somewhere and get real BBQ instead.

Genie of the Lamp

On Theme Park Insider, Rob Niles had his first weekly podcast (not up yet but posted the transcript) with Marty Sklar. Much of it is mainly talking about Marty's new book coming out on August 13th called "Dream It! Do It!: My Half-Century Creating Disney's Magic Kingdoms" and him reflecting on his work with Disney. In one section of the transcript, Marty talks about the upcoming project developments happening at WDP&R's as he mentioned: the shanghai project, TDL doing some brand new things (whatever they are), re doing the whole Florida village, they're (not sure who he meant) talking about a great expansion/makeover at the Studios park in Florida while also throwing in references to recently completed projects such as Grizzly Gulch/Mystic Point at HKDL, and Carsland and the new shows at DL. He concludes by saying that "there's probably more money being spent on Disney parks around the world than in any other 10-year period in the history of the parks." Didn't have those stats, but felt confident about that statement.
Here's the link (about 17th paragraph down) (good article read):
http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201307/3585/

ParentsOf4

There's some fascinating stuff coming up and so long as you don't view Disney as your religion, you likely will find what is about to come out quite eye-opening. I know I did. And now, for the first time in my adult life, I can safely say my blinders are off and I can see see quite clearly. Perhaps, it is time to offer my help to Georgie K (not just on choices for BBQ in O-town, but on how he can prevent what is shaping up to be an epic disaster the likes oF which, WDW has never seen) ...we shall see:greedy::D:cool:.
What's happening at WDW is not a disaster.

It's just sad.

It's sad to see a management team more concerned with prying out another 73 cents per meal rather than improving food quality.

It's sad that it's been 5 years without a working Yeti.

It's sad to see leadership more focused on debating whether ticket prices can be increased 7% or 8% next year rather than building something new and exciting to justify price increases.

It's sad that every time we do learn about something new, all we hear about is how much its budget is being slashed. ...... Except MyMagic+ whose budget keeps growing and growing and growing and ...

It's sad to see every year millions more priced out of what once was a rite of passage for working class America while those in Burbank collect 20% increases.

It's sad to see what once was the undisputed leader in Orlando slowly surrender its once seemingly insurmountable lead to a resort that was on its last leg 4 years ago.

It's just sad.

Last edited:

Harryo

Looking forward to Spirit's musings on the sorry state of WDW management, looking more forward to what else Uni is going to build for us!!!! Let the games begin!! Or should I say continue!

fosse76

I'm perfectly fine with the idea of zoos and aquariums because I think it helps us as a species to grow and learn about them...

What I'm not perfectly fine with is the brutality and killing that is associated with certain zoos/aquariums.

I personally don't mind zoos or aquariums either. But the bias of this film at least presents some science which backs up its claims. Sea World's rebuttal was pure fiction...rebutting some claims with selective examples that don't reflect the whole, as well as rebutting claims that weren't even made in the film. There are some animals that just don't belong in captivity, and Blackfish, in my opinion, made its case with regards to orcas.

luv

Sheep? I thought y'all were talking about whales...
Oh, now, you stop. Don't go stirring that up again. (Further dispute is all Lee's fault!)

There were a bunch of explosions at a Blue Rhino propane plant here last night. Several people injured, four in critical condition and being treated for burns. :(

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone wants to pray for those people.

Nemo14

Oh, now, you stop. Don't go stirring that up again. (Further dispute is all Lee's fault!)

There were a bunch of explosions at a Blue Rhino propane plant here last night. Several people injured, four in critical condition and being treated for burns. :(

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone wants to pray for those people.

Just watched that on the news - amazing that more people weren't injured!

Last edited:
Reactions: luv

luv

Just watched that on the news - amazing that more people ween't injured!
The last thing I'd ever want to go through would be massive burn injuries.

A Disney employee (young kid) was shot on an I-4 ramp. He's fine, shot in the wrist, but it's getting extra coverage because he was coming to or going from work. I still feel safe on the highways, but it's getting crazy around here.

Disney and Uni need to push for less crime. IMO.

willtravel

The last thing I'd ever want to go through would be massive burn injuries.

A Disney employee (young kid) was shot on an I-4 ramp. He's fine, shot in the wrist, but it's getting extra coverage because he was coming to or going from work. I still feel safe on the highways, but it's getting crazy around here.

Disney and Uni need to push for less crime. IMO.
And what can Disney or UNI do?

luv

And what can Disney or UNI do?
They have some pull with local governments. They should use it. IMO. The crime may not stay out of the parks forever. And if someone gets shot in the parks, it will be broadcast everywhere, like crazy. All these random, local shootings will get mentioned. Bad for business.

The cops know what needs to be done. When the criminals started shooting AT THE COPS, they attended to the matter. Now they need to keep it up.

eta: I know the cops would love to be on top of it. It might have sounded like I thought they only take care of things when they're being shot at, lol. I didn't. But when the cops were being shot at, there was a giant presence out, all over the place. I'm sure the cops would be happy to do that all the time. They just need it approved.

willtravel

They have some pull with local governments. They should use it. IMO. The crime may not stay out of the parks forever. And if someone gets shot in the parks, it will be broadcast everywhere, like crazy. All these random, local shootings will get mentioned. Bad for business.

The cops know what needs to be done. When the criminals started shooting AT THE COPS, they attended to the matter. Now they need to keep it up.

eta: I know the cops would love to be on top of it. It might have sounded like I thought they only take care of things when they're being shot at, lol. I didn't. But when the cops were being shot at, there was a giant presence out, all over the place. I'm sure the cops would be happy to do that all the time. They just need it approved.
There has been crime within WDW and that has not stopped people from going.

The Empress Lilly

I saw "Blackfish" over the weekend, really haunting and harrowing movie.

Just a month or two back I was thinking "I haven't been to Sea World in a long time - I need to check it out again one of these days."

Not anymore.
I love SEA. But I'm developing serious moral issues about it.

I think it is time for SEA to move away from keeping large cetaceans in captivity. They are too intelligent and need too much space. There is plenty else to do with the theme 'sea'.
Also, I resent SEA having both a north and a south pole exhibit in the scorching Florida heat. As a result, all those polar animals never see the light of day, forever locked away in a tiny indoor freezer.

I don't go to bull fighting in Spain, or bear dancing in Romania. I think I can not much longer in clear conscience go to SEA either. I shouldn't be doing animal cruelty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom