Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

manutdfan1

No, actually I said after the weekend and it may well be the middle of the week before I have time. Just dropped in now for a few minutes before bed (for the first time before 3:30 this week!) and I don't want folks thinking they'll be seeing something substantial from me until I can get it out.

Think of me like your own personal MAGICal D23 Expo. Like an Imagineer with a fanboi, I just keep toying with emotions.:eek::D:cool::devilish:

That said, if you are a WDW lover in the mentally ill, unable to cope with reality fashion than I sincerely hope you don't join me next week for Spirited News, Observation and Thoughts IV: May the Force Be With Us All!

(Yes, it is coming)

Now, back to Italy ... See you all a little later.

Wait.... So... A Star Wars expansion in DHS is coming, but Disney fanbois are going to be upset about it? Oh dear.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
I'm done with the Leo talk after this. The guy can act, very very well, and will go down as probably the best actor in history. There I said it!!!
Certainly one of the best, anyway.
He has played such a huge range of characters, and has managed to avoid being pigeon-holed as Jack Dawson for his entire career.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Certainly one of the best, anyway.
He has played such a huge range of characters, and has managed to avoid being pigeon-holed as Jack Dawson for his entire career.
Or this guy...

7c6.jpg

Goofyernmost

I really wanted to love DM2. It was a solid A- for much of the movie but the two "fart gun" jokes just cheapened it. I don't know why but that left a really bad taste in my mouth (no pun intended).
I agree. I thought the rest was well done. Good story, strange but OK ending, but even though the "guns" didn't bother me directly, but it did seem very childish when the rest was just entertaining. Good movie though, I actually found myself laughing out loud during parts of it. Something I hardly ever do.

jme

Weren't his movies silent?...so therefore you cannot be sure can you?
No, only his films up until ~1938
One of his most famous roles, as a Hitler-parody, in 1940's The Great Dictator was a non-silent film.
I won't pretend I'm very familiar with all of his work, but I know he did vaudeville and wouldn't be surprised if he used fart jokes.

Wikkler

Get ready for Spirited News 4: More Reasons Universal is Better than Disney in Every Way and how Disney does Everything Wrong...

:lookaroun:

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Charlie Chaplin was actually a friend of Walt's. It was one of those neat Walt was a fan and then became a friend things. Chaplin actually gave Walt a lot of advice about the film industry. Mickey Mouse also emulated Charlie a lot.

draybook

Funny, because I thought Moulin Rouge was the worst movie I've ever seen in a theater by a comfortable margin, and I swore off Baz movies forever. So no Gatsby for me.

We have you beat. We went and saw Dragon Wars in the theater. Yes, Dragon Wars. Yes, it played in theaters. It was on the Sci-Fi channel literally about 2 months later. I'm one of those people that will sit through a movie because I paid for a full movie, but I almost left and demanded a refund, it was that bad.

ParentsOf4

Get ready for Spirited News 4: More Reasons Universal is Better than Disney in Every Way and how Disney does Everything Wrong...
Only since 2005.:D

In 2005, Eisner was still running the show. A 7-day MYW base ticket cost $199, the Disney Dining Plan cost $35 per day while including tip plus appetizer, it was possible to get a Value Resort room for as low as $59/night, and Epcot had been updated recently with Mission: Space, Soarin', and Turtle Talk. Expedition Everest and Toy Story Mania were on the horizon with expectations of even better attractions to follow. The animatronics on Splash Mountain worked and there was no talk of Disco Yeti.

In 2005, there was no Transformers, no Rip Ride Rockit, no Simpsons, no Minions Mayhem, and no Wizzarding World of Harry Potter. Certainly no thought of even greater expansions or discussion of a possible third theme park. Uni was a ghost town many days causing NBC Universal to cut quality to try to save a few bucks.

Things change.:banghead:

Last edited:

Computer Magic

In 2005, Eisner was still running the show. A 7-day MYW base ticket cost $199, the Disney Dining Plan cost $35 per day while including tip plus appetizer, and Epcot had been updated recently with Mission: Space, Soarin', and Turtle Talk. Expedition Everest and Toy Story Mania were on the horizon with expectations of even better attractions to follow. The animatronics on Splash Mountain worked and there was no thought of Disco Yeti.

In 2005, there was no Transformers, no Rip Ride Rockit, no Simpsons, no Minions Mayhem, and no Wizzarding World of Harry Potter. Certainly no thought of even greater expansions or talk of a possible third theme park. Uni was a ghost town many days causing NBC Universal to cut quality to try to save a few bucks.

Remember old the cliché: 'Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it. So many here (including me) wanted Eisner out. The Save Disney campaign. Now we don't know what Eisner would have done to Disney if still in charge (could have been worse). However, we know what we got and as person who loves WDW, hates what he brought to the company. Sure shareholder wealth has grown but at a cost to creativity and innovation.

From my limited viewpoint, this all stems from not having a Disney family member involved. Once Roy Disney Jr was removed from the board and now deceased, there is no one fighting for the Disney name.

Iger wasn't Roy's first choice but accepted over Eisner. I do think Eisner would have had the courage to go head to head with Universal (Comcast). He did once before.

Last edited:

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese

In 2005, Eisner was still running the show. A 7-day MYW base ticket cost $199, the Disney Dining Plan cost $35 per day while including tip plus appetizer, and Epcot had been updated recently with Mission: Space, Soarin', and Turtle Talk. Expedition Everest and Toy Story Mania were on the horizon with expectations of even better attractions to follow. The animatronics on Splash Mountain worked and there was no thought of Disco Yeti.

In 2005, there was no Transformers, no Rip Ride Rockit, no Simpsons, no Minions Mayhem, and no Wizzarding World of Harry Potter. Certainly no thought of even greater expansions or talk of a possible third theme park. Uni was a ghost town many days causing NBC Universal to cut quality to try to save a few bucks.

I didn't realize the prices have gone up THAT much. Holy s*#?

ParentsOf4

Remember old the cliché: 'Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it. So many here (including me) wanted Eisner out. The Save Disney campaign. Now we don't know what Eisner would have done to Disney if still in charge (could have been worse). However, we know what we got and as person would loves WDW, hates what he brought to the company. Sure shareholder wealth has grown but at a cost to creativity and innovation.

From my limited viewpoint, this all stems from not having a Disney family member involved. Once Roy Disney Jr was removed from the board and now deceased, there is no one fighting for the Disney name.
I'm not suggesting 2005 was all sunshine and roses but there was a view that Eisner's ego was tied to the theme parks. (Tied to everything else Disney as well.;))

Those of us old enough to remember when Eisner first took charge and the immediate price increases that followed learned to hate the man. But he did transform WDW and some of his worst decisions (e.g. the push to sacrifice quality in order to reduce expense) took years to surface. Even then, it wasn't until the post-2010 Uni appeared that it became apparent that WDW was heading in the wrong direction.

Last edited:

Computer Magic

I'm not suggesting 2005 was all sunshine and roses but there was a view that Eisner's ego was tied to the theme parks. (Tied to everything else Disney as well.;))

Those of us old enough to remember when Eisner first took charge and the immediate price increases that followed learned to hate the man. But he did transform WDW and some of his worst decisions (e.g. the push to sacrifice quality in order to reduce expense) took years to surface. Even then, it wasn't until the post-2010 Uni surfaced that it became apparent that WDW was heading in the wrong direction.
I was going to use Eisner ego would have battled Universal HP and threat to "his" Empire.

Let's not forget Frank Wells involvement in transforming WDW. I think Eisner ego would have prevented a transformation by himself.

In the end Eisner ego hurt Disney by being power hungry. I think he thought "He' was the next Walt and why didn't he get the same respect. Ousting Roy Disney Jr from the Board by implementing a age restriction.

A Circle of Life story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom