Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoDave219

Leo definitely should NOT have won for the departed. Baldwin and Marky Mark were the best parts of that movie. I really thought Leo, Martin Sheen, Jack Nicholson and Matt Damon were weak in The Departed.

I'm biased but I think Dropkick Murphys' music made that movie.... It was too long and too disjointed in ways. Baldwin was fantastic and Wahlberg was great.

PhotoDave219

Get ready for Spirited News 4: More Reasons Universal is Better than Disney in Every Way and how Disney does Everything Wrong...

:lookaroun:

I beg to differ. IOA cant handle crowds whatsoever.

Plus If i want a Ginger Ale after riding a roller coaster, its going to cost me $11 dollars at Universal. Their food sucks (except for Mythos) and everything is more expensive....

BrianLo

Promised an update! Went to HKDL a few days ago and was really impressed with the massive changes in a little over a years time since my first visit.

-Does anyone know the actual cost comparisons between the HKDL expansion and New Fantasyland? Really in essence the two have similar make-ups. Instead of Snow White you have Grizzly Gulch Mine Train and Instead of Mermaid you have Mystic Point. Not that I think I dislike or likely will any of those four rides, but I'll give you one guess at which two I think were/will be better.

-Although I think people may hate the idea of Toy Story miniland, I kind of like it. Like Storybook Circus it's fairly harmless. Although it really, really should have TSMM (same goes for WDS, but that is clearly not happening based on recent posts). I do dislike, not hate mind you, but dislike Toontown. At least RC Racers better captures the teens/young adults crowd who grew up on Toy Story.

-Grizzly is perhaps one of the smoothest coasters I've been on. I feel like it comes off as more tame as a result than it should. I've heard it mentioned that it is like a flattened Everest and this is true for the most part, but of course all the animatronics are working. It's definitely a really great family coaster. In my opinion it probably beats out BTMM, which it clearly is trying to replicate. I think both the backwards and accelerations elements help make it surprising and fun for the uninitiated.

-I was really excited to ride Mystic Manor, and really did the best to temper my expectations, readying myself to be disappointed. I also never watched a ride-through knowing I was going in a few months, so while I knew enough about it, it was mostly a surprise for me still. I am afraid to admit that I might have watered up just a little bit once I got off the ride... I liked it that much. Stupid Disney Pixie Dust...

-Loved everything about it. I know people love to rant and rave about TDS Pooh, but Mystic Manor is at least two times more impressive. Pooh is still a classic Fantasyland dark ride, but really, really well done. Mystic Manor actually tries to reach for the HM/Pirates level, and does it a lot more successfully than Little Mermaid. Unlike either Pooh or Mermaid I did not come off feeling like it was missing a major scene or two. It has a clear beginning, middle and end, and none of the elements are rushed. That said, it is not as zippy as Pooh, and does not have the massive grandeur of scenes that HM and Pirates have, nor really should it based on the storyline of a slow tour through a museum. Apart from sharing a place of residence in the title of the ride it is also nothing like Haunted Mansion at all. Perhaps at one point someone said we "need a HM for HKDL", but the two could be plopped side by side in their current forms and not detract from either. It is one of my top all time favourite Disney rides already. I think that is a very fluid list, but in the moment I felt like it was a contender for number one, and that is saying a lot!

-There is construction going on to the right of the main gate and to (I suppose?) the South of tomorrowland. I could see it outside the park after getting off of the MTR, walking towards the Mickey fountain and to my right. There was a crane, not the huge tower ones though and clearly some activity. Zero idea what it was for, but I can't seem to find anything so I am sure someone can enlighten me.

-Yes HKDL suffers some weird placement issues, but I really don't mind them. It now is definitely at a point that it should have been from opening day (to impress the fanboi's). Of course it also should have had some additions in the past 8 years on top of that. However, HKDL is definitely an impressive park with more to get excited about than Epcot/Hollywood Studios/Animal Kingdom in their current states, so that's something it can be proud of!

-I really, really dislike the choice of castle. Unfortunately that's clearly never going to change so it is what it is.

-Love their small world! Other castle parks have their charms, but they seriously need year long refurbs when the clicking of the dolls eyes produce better audio than the speakers. No problem with the Disney character infusions, but I am sure there are purists that hate it. We went on it twice, which I'd never do in one day at any other castle park...

-The framework of fantasyland and tomorrowland are good, certainly not in dire straights apart from maybe Stitch. That said they definitely need and should visit those two lands next with any new attractions. Seems like they are going to...

-The water parade was really fun... apart from the fact it was pouring rain most of the day and we were already wet, but I've been to HKDL on a sunny day and would absolutely love the water in that scenario. Most guests were using umbrellas. If you wanted to and are sitting in the front I'd actually say you could get very wet/soaked, it was by no means a light misting of water, but steady streams shooting everywhere. If you are watching almost anywhere you will get wet, they were not conservative with the water in the least.

The future is definitely bright for HKDL though, I really hope they are rewarded with a big uptick in guests as they certainly deserve it with their new attractions. I also bought more things in 4 minutes than I did in four days at Tokyo so they have that going for them as well!

Last edited:

Sue_Vongello

Wait a min ... @WDW1974 was conducting a "test" recently, he said, on influencers in social media. He also said he has a background in social media. And now we have this "personal" "transformative" news that fanboi nation will hate?

Are we looking at Disney's new social media director?

I can't imagine fanbois hating anything worse!

Wouldn't that be crazy/great? I know I'd love to see some blogger's revenue streams severed!

jensenrick

Promised an update! Went to HKDL a few days ago and was really impressed with the massive changes in a little over a years time since my first visit.

-Does anyone know the actual cost comparisons between the HKDL expansion and New Fantasyland? Really in essence the two have similar make-ups. Instead of Snow White you have Grizzly Gulch Mine Train and Instead of Mermaid you have Mystic Point. Not that I think I dislike or likely will any of those four rides, but I'll give you one guess at which two I think were/will be better.

-Although I think people may hate the idea of Toy Story miniland, I kind of like it. Like Storybook Circus it's fairly harmless. Although it really, really should have TSMM (same goes for WDS, but that is clearly not happening based on recent posts). I do dislike, not hate mind you, but dislike Toontown. At least RC Racers better captures the teens/young adults crowd who grew up on Toy Story.

-Grizzly is perhaps one of the smoothest coasters I've been on. I feel like it comes off as more tame as a result than it should. I've heard it mentioned that it is like a flattened Everest and this is true for the most part, but of course all the animatronics are working. It's definitely a really great family coaster. In my opinion it probably beats out BTMM, which it clearly is trying to replicate. I think both the backwards and accelerations elements help make it surprising and fun for the uninitiated.

-I was really excited to ride Mystic Manor, and really did the best to temper my expectations, readying myself to be disappointed. I also never watched a ride-through knowing I was going in a few months, so while I knew enough about it, it was mostly a surprise for me still. I am afraid to admit that I might have watered up just a little bit once I got off the ride... I liked it that much. Stupid Disney Pixie Dust...

-Loved everything about it. I know people love to rant and rave about TDS Pooh, but Mystic Manor is at least two times more impressive. Pooh is still a classic Fantasyland dark ride, but really, really well done. Mystic Manor actually tries to reach for the HM/Pirates level, and does it a lot more successfully than Little Mermaid. Unlike either Pooh or Mermaid I did not come off feeling like it was missing a major scene or two. It has a clear beginning, middle and end, and none of the elements are rushed. That said, it is not as zippy as Pooh, and does not have the massive grandeur of scenes that HM and Pirates have, nor really should it based on the storyline of a slow tour through a museum. Apart from sharing a place of residence in the title of the ride it is also nothing like Haunted Mansion at all. Perhaps at one point someone said we "need a HM for HKDL", but the two could be plopped side by side in their current forms and not detract from either. It is one of my top all time favourite Disney rides already. I think that is a very fluid list, but in the moment I felt like it was a contender for number one, and that is saying a lot!

-There is construction going on to the right of the main gate and to (I suppose?) the South of tomorrowland. I could see it outside the park after getting off of the MTR, walking towards the Mickey fountain and to my right. There was a crane, not the huge tower ones though and clearly some activity. Zero idea what it was for, but I can't seem to find anything so I am sure someone can enlighten me.

-Yes HKDL suffers some weird placement issues, but I really don't mind them. It now is definitely at a point that it should have been from opening day (to impress the fanboi's). Of course it also should have had some additions in the past 8 years on top of that. However, HKDL is definitely an impressive park with more to get excited about than Epcot/Hollywood Studios/Animal Kingdom in their current states, so that's something it can be proud of!

-I really, really dislike the choice of castle. Unfortunately that's clearly never going to change so it is what it is.

-Love their small world! Other castle parks have their charms, but they seriously need year long refurbs when the clicking of the dolls eyes produce better audio than the speakers. No problem with the Disney character infusions, but I am sure there are purists that hate it. We went on it twice, which I'd never do in one day at any other castle park...

-The framework of fantasyland and tomorrowland are good, certainly not in dire straights apart from maybe Stitch. That said they definitely need and should visit those two lands next with any new attractions. Seems like they are going to...

-The water parade was really fun... apart from the fact it was pouring rain most of the day and we were already wet, but I've been to HKDL on a sunny day and would absolutely love the water in that scenario. Most guests were using umbrellas. If you wanted to and are sitting in the front I'd actually say you could get very wet/soaked, it was by no means a light misting of water, but steady streams shooting everywhere. If you are watching almost anywhere you will get wet, they were not conservative with the water in the least.

The future is definitely bright for HKDL though, I really hope they are rewarded with a big uptick in guests as they certainly deserve it with their new attractions. I also bought more things in 4 minutes than I did in four days at Tokyo so they have that going for them as well!

Now THIS is an informative post.

Bolna

Oh puleeeze. I think Paris will do just fine, tourist-wise, with or without Disney. When I've traveled to Paris, I certainly didn't spend any time at a theme park.

While Paris itself might do fine, Marne-la-Vallee and the surrounding area will not. There was a reason why the French government gave Disney such a great deal. DLP was built in a rural area outside of Paris and has brought a lot of prosperity to that region. If you drive around a little bit, you will see how much was built there since 1992. All the hotels in that area will certainly get into huge trouble if the main reason why people come and stay at a place that is a 40 minute train ride from Paris, suddenly disappears.

jensenrick

^^ If you have several days in Paris and are a Disney fan, you owe it to yourself to see the most beautiful Magic Kingdom ever.

I spent ten days in Paris last July, rented a lovely apartment that looked over the Pont Neuf bridge, and no thanks. I mean, I might see it someday, but when you are in Paris . . . you are in PARIS!

jensenrick

But most of those who visit DLP live in France. Only so many times you can visit the Louvre.:D

But for most Americans on rare trips to Europe, yeah, it shouldn't be too surprising if DLP is pretty low on their lists.:)

Thank you, I was starting to think I'd gone thru the looking glass.

doctornick

But most of those who visit DLP live in France. Only so many times you can visit the Louvre.:D

But for most Americans on rare trips to Europe, yeah, it shouldn't be too surprising if DLP is pretty low on their lists.:)

Not to mention a lot of Europeans who (1) get a lot more vacation time than Americans and (2) have this as their "local" Disney park.

I love international travel and I love Disney, but I personally wouldn't spend my valuable time in another country going to a Disney Park. If I were in Paris and felt I have "done" the city enough and had vacation time to do something else, I'd much rather visit another region or France or go to a neighboring country than go to DLP. To each their own, though.

Bolna

Thank you, I was starting to think I'd gone thru the looking glass.

It all started with you claiming that a downtime for DLP would not have an effect on tourism in the region. It certainly has.

And while for many Americans who first visit Paris it might not be high up on the list, I think for someone who likes to hang out at a discussion board focussing on Disney's theme parks, and especially on the subsection for News and Rumours would have a far higher interest in DLP than the average overseas visitor.

I would certainly recommend any theme parks fan who spends more than 5 days in Paris to go and see DLP for one day. It is a highlight of themed entertainment.

nor'easter

Been there, done that, totally unimpressed with the city of lights. It's also the city of dirt, clutter and rude waiters. :grumpy:
Funny, I thought that of New York, a city I also love.

I guess if you you're used to your SUV, fast food and WalMart, you might not like Paris. I did think Disneyland Paris is worth a visit, but only if you have more than 4 or 5 days in Paris, or are a return visitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom