Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
As an Eagle, this makes my heart sad.

Lets review a few things...

The Scout Law
A scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent.

That being said...

The Scout Oath
On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country. To obey the scout Law. To help other people at all times. To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

The move from AP Hill (where it has been held since 81) to the Betchel Family reserve, for some very sad reasons why (which I don't care to get into in detail), was a terrible decision, I think.

The "summit" is classified as a high adventure retreat, along the lines of Philmont or Northern Lights. Meaning, the physical demands of the individual participants, even day to day, are extreme. Considering the situation, I do support the decision of the National Council to limit the participation of severely obese people (it's not limited to just children, Scout Leaders are also considered under this limitation). 40 BMI for someone around 5'10" means they are ~275 lbs...think about that. And no, it's not "muscle weight" at that size...

What the article conveniently leaves out is that the Council is reviewing exception cases, with appropriate medical documentation. They merely wish to have their medical staff review these cases, primarily to limit liability in a litigious society that seems content to not only demonize a voluntary, private organization, but to profit from it.

Oddly, the article does not include that BMI is not the only limiting factor (though it is the most media visible, it seems). Due to the nature of the Betchel Reserve, other physical disabilities are excluded.

That being said, I do not agree with the move to a "high adventure" setting, as that is not the purpose of the Jamboree. The Jamboree has always been about socializing and networking, not high adventure. High adventure is for specialized camps that not every scout will attend, either due to physical capacity or circumstance. They are "special events" for a scout. The Jamboree is, and always has been, about accessibility, so that scouts from around the country and around the world can join together to celebrate scouting, it's history and our future.

Many scouts use the Jamboree to get their World Crest and World Conservation Award. The spirit of the Jamboree has always been about inclusion. This is why it has been held (since 81) at a relatively flat, easy to navigate location with physical facilities readily available.

The spirit of the Jamboree was set with the first one, held on the National Mall in 1937. Not to many "high adventure" activities there, unless they rappelled off the Washington Monument or something...

The Summit has facilities (far more than it's cousin Philmont), but it's still classified as high adventure due to terrain and activities. While I'm sure it's a fantastic experience, I, for one, do not support the Council's decision to move the National Jamboree there, and when I learned of the plans, I voiced my concerns through appropriate channels. But, in the end, I know why the move was made, and it's far more complex than "The BSA wants to exclude fat kids"...

Anyhow, ramble over...

I know...

The local leadership is what builds men. The national leadership is what builds political bigotry.

Disneyhead'71

englanddg, I don't know much about the Scout thing, as I never was one. But I spent last week in Beckley WV, which is ground zero for the Jamboree.
Well, the reason I was there is that my Father is pretty ill, and he had to have surgery. One afternoon while hanging out at the hospital, I overhead the nurses discussing that they had 65 people from the Jamboree in the Hospital. I have no idea how that would compare to previous Jamborees, but after reading your post, I just thought I would share what I heard.

ParentsOf4

Besides that...why would he need to extend his career anyway?

His exit paycheck will more that sustain him and his great grandchildren for the rest of their natural lives.
It's not just about the money. If it was just about the money, then Iger could have retired in true luxury years ago.

One of the traits that make high-powered execs high-powered execs is that they love what they do. The idea of slowing down doesn't hold much appeal.

Walt Disney kept working right up to the very end. Reportedly, he just loved what he did.

Rumors of Iger's alleged desire to retire have been swirling around for years yet he recently extended his commitment to remain CEO until June 2016.

Just imagine if you were wired so that you'd rather go into the office than relax on an exotic beach and you'll get a sense of the type of people running many major corporations.

unkadug

englanddg, I don't know much about the Scout thing, as I never was one. But I spent last week in Beckley WV, which is ground zero for the Jamboree.
Well, the reason I was there is that my Father is pretty ill, and he had to have surgery. One afternoon while hanging out at the hospital, I overhead the nurses discussing that they had 65 people from the Jamboree in the Hospital. I have no idea how that would compare to previous Jamborees, but after reading your post, I just thought I would share what I heard.
Kids will be kids ... but I bet a lot of those that were hospitalized were adults that didn't realize their limits.

Disneyhead'71

I have been out of the loop and about 100 pages behind on the current news and rumors. I saw that AI is being replaced and BatB show is closing. What else have I missed?

englanddg

One Little Spark...

I've done 4 Jamborees in my life (which considering they only happen every 3-4 years is saying something) and there are always cases of dehydration and over-exertion. I am not attending this year, but considering ~40k people showing up, 65 wouldn't seem all that unreasonable to me. But, thanks for the heads up! <grin>

unkadug

It's not just about the money. If it was just about the money, then Iger could have retired in true luxury years ago.

One of the traits that make high-powered execs high-powered execs is that they love what they do. The idea of slowing down doesn't hold much appeal.

Walt Disney kept working right up to the very end. Reportedly, he just loved what he did.

Just imagine if you were wired so that you'd rather go into the office than relax on an exotic beach and you'll get a sense of the type of people running many major corporations.
I disagree...they love their paycheck.

They know how to appease the shareholders and ignore what is best for the long term investment of the company that they work for.

alissafalco

I disagree...they love their paycheck.

They know how to appease the shareholders and ignore what is best for the long term investment of the company that they work for.

And they love their huge Ego's. If they retired there's no one to stroke them anymore.

FrankLapidus

Second, the folks running TWDC have absolutely no passion when it comes to the theme parks. Film? TV? They live for that stuff but theme parks are at the bottom of their lists. You want to kill your career in Burbank? Just say that you love the theme parks and take your family there all the time.

Seems to me that they have no comprehension or passion for the heritage of the Walt Disney Company full stop. Eisner, Wells and Katzenberg didn't at first but they quickly came to understand what it meant to be in charge of a company like Disney. Iger, Staggs and Rasulo never have and I don't think they particularly care; ABC was Iger's love, through that he found himself in a position to take the job he has now. That's their prerogative, they're not creative people and have made very little effort to maintain Disney's creative edge in the industry but the stock is doing well and they're pocketing huge bonuses every year. Personally I think they've been detrimental to the company in the long-term but there you go.

Cosmic Commando

Hubby and I are headed to Buffalo for our 3x yearly shopping excursion this week. Because I always hit my Duty-free limit in the first few hours, we usually end up going to the movies twice. Red 2 is a must see. However, Heat is now out for Despicable Me 2.
Leaving your shoes in the Galleria parking lot again? :p

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
As an Eagle, this makes my heart sad.

Lets review a few things...

The Scout Law
A scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent.

That being said...

The Scout Oath
On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country. To obey the scout Law. To help other people at all times. To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

The move from AP Hill (where it has been held since 81) to the Betchel Family reserve, for some very sad reasons why (which I don't care to get into in detail), was a terrible decision, I think.

The "summit" is classified as a high adventure retreat, along the lines of Philmont or Northern Lights. Meaning, the physical demands of the individual participants, even day to day, are extreme. Considering the situation, I do support the decision of the National Council to limit the participation of severely obese people (it's not limited to just children, Scout Leaders are also considered under this limitation). 40 BMI for someone around 5'10" means they are ~275 lbs...think about that. And no, it's not "muscle weight" at that size...

What the article conveniently leaves out is that the Council is reviewing exception cases, with appropriate medical documentation. They merely wish to have their medical staff review these cases, primarily to limit liability in a litigious society that seems content to not only demonize a voluntary, private organization, but to profit from it.

Oddly, the article does not include that BMI is not the only limiting factor (though it is the most media visible, it seems). Due to the nature of the Betchel Reserve, other physical disabilities are excluded.

That being said, I do not agree with the move to a "high adventure" setting, as that is not the purpose of the Jamboree. The Jamboree has always been about socializing and networking, not high adventure. High adventure is for specialized camps that not every scout will attend, either due to physical capacity or circumstance. They are "special events" for a scout. The Jamboree is, and always has been, about accessibility, so that scouts from around the country and around the world can join together to celebrate scouting, it's history and our future.

Many scouts use the Jamboree to get their World Crest and World Conservation Award. The spirit of the Jamboree has always been about inclusion. This is why it has been held (since 81) at a relatively flat, easy to navigate location with physical facilities readily available.

The spirit of the Jamboree was set with the first one, held on the National Mall in 1937. Not to many "high adventure" activities there, unless they rappelled off the Washington Monument or something...

The Summit has facilities (far more than it's cousin Philmont), but it's still classified as high adventure due to terrain and activities. While I'm sure it's a fantastic experience, I, for one, do not support the Council's decision to move the National Jamboree there, and when I learned of the plans, I voiced my concerns through appropriate channels. But, in the end, I know why the move was made, and it's far more complex than "The BSA wants to exclude fat kids"...

Anyhow, ramble over...

As ANOTHER Eagle and one of my parent's three Eagles I concur. The Jamboree at AP Hill was a fantastic event. Having attended one its setting and atmosphere was perfect. I will miss sorely the trading of patches around the complex and the offerings it had. This was an event to showcase the cultures each scout troop maintains from around the country. A showcase of various camping styles and ideas. Adventure Scouting is meant for high adventure, not general camping as the Jamboree was intended to be.

Several of the most dedicated Scouts that were in while I was were not in shape in the slightest bit. They are the ones who have stuck around as Assistant Scoutmasters to help others achieve the rank of Eagle that they covet so highly.

My troop would have events at local parks before doing long hikes to ensure physical capabilities before 75+ miler bike trips in a weekend or 50 miler hikes over a week. THAT is understandable but changing a showcase event... no. Just no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom