Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magenta Panther

I foresee a new restriction on roller coasters becoming effective soon along with the height restriction.

For safety reasons
all riders with a body mass index of over 28
cannot ride under any circumstances.

Do you think the ACLU will object to this?

If it thinks it can make a buck, it will.

Magenta Panther

Inside sources suggest Iger tried to sell WDW to the Chinese a few years ago but the Chinese were way too smart to drop multi-billions and pay an annual licensing fee. A lot of capital is tied up in Orlando that Iger would love to spend elsewhere. For a guy with a TV background, I don't blame him. WDW is one of the single most expensive land holdings in the country. He'd dump WDW in a second if he could find a buyer at the right price.

If Iger ever does that, the public reaction would be incredible. He could kiss any ambitions regarding public service goodbye. No way he'd get anywhere trying to run for office. All the Loyal Opposition would have to do is point to him and say "There's the guy who sold Disneyland to China (or Saudi Arabia or whatever)." You can't paint someone blacker than that. It'd be like the old Biblical thirty-pieces-of-silver story. He'd look like the most evil money-grubbing capitalist pig overlord ever. Which, in my opinion, he pretty much is...but no amount of PR would save him after that. Heck, if he did that, I'd become part of the "Occupy" movement. "Occupy Disneyland!" Has a nice ring to it...

PeterAlt

Here's some facts to support my theory that a Uni-Sea World merger is in the works. In 2009, the Blackstone group bought Seaworld for $2.3 billion. Today, Sea World is estimated to be worth around $3 billion. I went to check the financials to see if Comcast even has that kind of cash laying around. Guess what? Last quarter their cash flow alone was just over $3 billion! I'm not saying that just because they can buy it out of pocket that they will, but if they want to be taken as seriously as Disney is (on an equal footing), this is a very logical move!

http://www.cmcsa.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=760820

ParentsOf4

If Iger ever does that, the public reaction would be incredible. He could kiss any ambitions regarding public service goodbye. No way he'd get anywhere trying to run for office. All the Loyal Opposition would have to do is point to him and say "There's the guy who sold Disneyland to China (or Saudi Arabia or whatever)." You can't paint someone blacker than that. It'd be like the old Biblical thirty-pieces-of-silver story. He'd look like the most evil money-grubbing capitalist pig overlord ever. Which, in my opinion, he pretty much is...but no amount of PR would save him after that. Heck, if he did that, I'd become part of the "Occupy" movement. "Occupy Disneyland!" Has a nice ring to it...
Sources suggest Iger already has given up on his political aspirations. He simply didn't come across as likeable to ordinary folk.

Likeability is an extremely important characteristic for a politician. In the United States in contested districts, the more likeable candidate usually wins.

Think of it this way. Republicans are highly likely to vote Republican. Democrats are highly likely to vote Democratic. The middle usually is left with 2 candidates who they agree with on some issues and disagree with on other issues. Inevitably, they end up voting for the candidate who seems more friendly, more likeable.

The same holds true for party nominations. All party candidates support most of the party platform. What distinguishes them is likeability.

There's a reason Iger extended his reign as CEO through June 2016. Iger will be 65 by then, rather late to start a political career.

Besides, given recent price increases, Iger already comes off as an "evil money-grubbing capitalist pig overlord ".:D

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
I just back from my second viewing of man of steel and I still love it. I still think its the best movie of the summer and I can't wait for the Superman/Batman film!
Good try at changing the topic.
I, on the other hand, have not seen Man of Steel.

My SIL & I have just returned from seeing Despicable Me 2. We originally went to the 7:40 showing, but the place was mobbed, and our movie was almost sold out. So instead, we bought tickets for the later showing (10:10) and came back to my house to refine our Disney itinerary (65 more sleeps!).

Our showing was about 1/2 full - in one of the 3 larger theatres of our 8 screen multiplex. Funny thing, not a single kid. All adults.

Anyways, we thought the movie was hysterical. Head and shoulders above Monsters University, which I saw last week and also enjoyed. Other than Titanic (which I have seen a total of 18 times on the big screen alone), I find very few films bear re-watching. I would gladly go see Despicable Me 2 again.

Hubby and I are headed to Buffalo for our 3x yearly shopping excursion this week. Because I always hit my Duty-free limit in the first few hours, we usually end up going to the movies twice. Red 2 is a must see. However, Heat is now out for Despicable Me 2.

articos

Sources suggest Iger already has given up on his political aspirations. He simply didn't come across as likeable to ordinary folk.

Likeability is an extremely important characteristic for a politician. In the United States in contested districts, the more likeable candidate usually wins.

Think of it this way. Republicans are highly likely to vote Republican. Democrats are highly likely to vote Democratic. The middle ground usually is left with 2 candidates who they agree with on some issues and disagree with on other issues. Inevitably, they end up voting for the candidate who seems more friendly, more likeable.

The same holds true for party nominations. All party candidates support most of the party platform. What distinguishes them is likeability.

There's a reason Iger extended his reign as CEO through June 2016. Iger will be 65 by then, rather late to start a political career.

Besides, given recent price increases, Iger already comes off as an "evil money-grubbing capitalist pig overlord ".:D
Bob still has politics in mind.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Hello my pretties and @Lee too. I'm sorry that I haven't had a chance to pop in here, and I will likely not be around much until August. But I do want you to know that I think about each and every one of you whenever I can (even in the shower!)

I can only promise you that I am busy with all sorts of things from say manscaping to comparing quickee marts to trying to see if there really is at least one quality Chinese restaurant in the state of Florida. I do think that while you may not see the point here that you will get the point in the end.

I also will leave you with some advice, try the Wendy's pretzel bacon cheeseburger while it is around.

Look forward to talking to you all again soon ...and regaling you with tales of Baxter, Dane, GG, Katniss and, of course, Josh (yes, he got a Brazillian! I KNOW!!!)

Y'all ready for D23? Yeah, me neither.

Thanks to the ONE fanboi who asked, the lotion is helping the feet thus far.

Why can't we just skip to September anyway? Oh, because yet again I am 25 pounds over my Emmy playing weight. Food, why must you be such a temptress? You are like a 21-year-old preppy fanboi dangling a giant ... 1986 EPCOT Center lithograph in my face.

Californian Elitist

Why can't we just skip to September anyway? Oh, because yet again I am 25 pounds over my Emmy playing weight. Food, why must you be such a temptress?

You can't come to LA with an extra twenty-five pounds of weight, everyone's skinny here! Better start doing some morning and afternoon runs!
lmao.gif
wink3.gif

Longhairbear

You have to keep 2 points in mind when discussing Iger et al:

First, the folks running TWDC are really smart businessmen. Nuff said on that.

Second, the folks running TWDC have absolutely no passion when it comes to the theme parks. Film? TV? They live for that stuff but theme parks are at the bottom of their lists. You want to kill your career in Burbank? Just say that you love the theme parks and take your family there all the time.

Every TWDC executive is pretty much expected to take a gold-plated WDW vacation (e.g. 3-bedroom villa at the Grand Floridian, dinner at Victoria & Albert, etc.) at least once in their careers. However, saying that you actually enjoyed it and want to take your family again is tantamount to admitting that you have no taste.

The theme parks originally were and still largely are targeted for the Plebeians. To be a senior executive at TWDC, you have to act like a Patrician. Every up-and-coming exec knows that, meaning that mid and low-level management quickly learns to treat the theme parks with contempt.

When Eisner joined Disney, he started calling the executives running the theme parks "monkeys" as in "even a monkey could run them". At that time, the theme parks were the only profitable business segment. Eisner, who was completely clueless (as is Iger) when it comes to theme park business, thought the business was easy because the folks running them made it look easy.

What Eisner failed to understand was the folks running the theme parks loved them dearly, visited them often, and constantly were looking for ways to improve "Show". They made it look easy because they loved what they did.

They were forced out in the 1990s and replaced by executives more concerned with saving 0.04 cents per napkin than actually improving Show. WDW has declined exactly because those making the most important decisions about it don't believe in theme parks, don't have any passion for theme parks, and wish TWDC wasn't in the theme park business.
I recall that Eisner was the guy that forced every exec into doing some menial jobs at WDW, and DLR as a heads up to improve their mindsets. I guess that failed.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

Think of it this way. Republicans are highly likely to vote Republican. Democrats are highly likely to vote Democratic. The middle ground usually is left with 2 candidates who they agree with on some issues and disagree with on other issues. Inevitably, they end up voting for the candidate who seems more friendly, more likeable.

WOW...can you get any more political without ing someone off?

Besides that...why would he need to extend his career anyway?

His exit paycheck will more that sustain him and his great grandchildren for the rest of their natural lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom