Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiveMeTheMusic

And this is the first I've ever heard of NAAFA. I love people regardless of their shape and do not judge them, as I have been overweight before, but come on. Even obese people with legitimate health excuses (which are few and far between) can do a lot to improve their lives through personal initiative. To pretend obesity is a healthy, normal thing does no one, especially children, any favors.

lazyboy97o

And this is the first I've ever heard of NAAFA. I love people regardless of their shape and do not judge them, as I have been overweight before, but come on. Even obese people with legitimate health excuses (which are few and far between) can do a lot to improve their lives through personal initiative. To pretend obesity is a healthy, normal thing does no one, especially children, any favors.
It's the same group that made a big stink about Disney bullying children with Habit Heroes and had it quickly shuttered for retooling.

Captain Chaos

Poking fun at a dead woman...can we go back to talking politics now:(
Aren't Disney fans great? Something that is supposed to represent happiness, harmony, fun, a celebration of life, of people, and some fans bash a woman who died, obese people, handicapped people... I'm sure, given the opportunity, Disney fans would bash mentally challenged children... Some fans are sickening...

Goof, just goes to show you many people have absolutely NO CLASS...

Animaniac93-98

Blackfish (the anti-Sea World doc) was given a plug on Real Time by one of the ex-employees/movie's cast members who was a guest (non pannel). Nothing discussed about it in overtime though in case you're curious.

Sue_Vongello

Aren't Disney fans great? Something that is supposed to represent happiness, harmony, fun, a celebration of life, of people, and some fans bash a woman who died, obese people, handicapped people... I'm sure, given the opportunity, Disney fans would bash mentally challenged children... Some fans are sickening...

Goof, just goes to show you many people have absolutely NO CLASS...

Can't we just go back to bashing the intelligence of Iger, Rasulo, Staggs, et al ... come on guys, remember how dumb those troglodytes are?

RSoxNo1

First, I would toss out everything that this Carmen Brown person is saying.

None of that is accurate.
1. The restraints don't click. They are hydraulic, and go down silently. In addition there are redundant (secondary hydraulic) systems in place to insure that the restraints don't release while the ride is in motion. Not to mention that the RCS won't allow the train to be dispatched if it senses that any of the restraints are not fully locked. Actual restraint failure is extremely uncommon, almost to the point of impossible.

2. She is incorrect about where the accident happened. It wasn't on the drop, it was at the overbanked turn after the double-down maneuver following the first drop.

If I had to guess, and I don't mean to be offensive to anyone here, I would immediately assume that she was of a body type that makes it difficult to seat properly. Similar to the accident a few years back on another coaster, if a restraint is closed and is only resting on a person's stomach, there is a real risk of the person's stomach popping out over the restraint during times of negative g's. This leaves the restraint loose around their mid-section until it is either pushed down by the rider or by positive g's later in the ride.

My instinct tells me that this rider's body became loose in the restraints during the double-down maneuver, and was ejected seconds later as the train went into the overbanked turn.

Time will tell....
Very sad thing, though.
Many people know that I'm overweight. I went to Six Flags New Jersey a few months ago and experienced something similar with the restraints on El Toro. The restraint was pushed down into my gut to the point where I was wildly uncomfortable through the entire ride. I'm able to make fun of myself and I said two things after riding to my friends:
  • "And there was no air time for Tim that day"
  • "It was like the squash and stretch technology on the Ursula Animatronic on the new Little Mermaid ride"
I could certainly see my gut moving above the restraint and giving me a lot more room, and potentially falling out of the attraction.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Wandering in a different direction...

I watched Bag check at MK bust a frat boy (kappa alpha psi) for pot. He was swearing up & down that he's never seen that container before and someone must have out it in his bag.

The kid must not have put a whole lot of effort in to concealing it...I never knew those bag checks to be extremely thorough. Not sure why he couldn't have just left it back in the car or in the room in the first place though.

Did they get the police involved or just give him the boot?

The Empress Lilly

Many people know that I'm overweight. I went to Six Flags New Jersey a few months ago and experienced something similar with the restraints on El Toro. The restraint was pushed down into my gut to the point where I was wildly uncomfortable through the entire ride. I'm able to make fun of myself and I said two things after riding to my friends:
  • "And there was no air time for Tim that day"
  • "It was like the squash and stretch technology on the Ursula Animatronic on the new Little Mermaid ride"
I could certainly see my gut moving above the restraint and giving me a lot more room, and potentially falling out of the attraction.
Not all ride systems suit all body types. When you are too small you shouldn't ride because you could fall out. When you are too tall or too big you might too.

Coasters are intensive! Essentially they put you in a soapbox then push you off a steep cliff. A great many people are too young, too small, too pregnant, too injured, and eventually all of us: too old, to ride. Sucks, but such is life and it it is always worth remembering that it still beats the park experience for many others, such as the blind or those in wheelchairs.

RSoxNo1

Not all ride systems suit all body types. When you are too small you shouldn't ride because you could fall out. When you are too tall or too big you might too.

Coasters are intensive! Essentially they put you in a soapbox then push you off a steep cliff. A great many people are too young, too small, too pregnant, too injured, and eventually all of us: too old, to ride. Sucks, but such is life and it it is always worth remembering that it still beats the park experience for many others, such as the blind or those in wheelchairs.
Just to clarify, I wasn't looking for better accommodations, just relaying a story.

PhotoDave219

The kid must not have put a whole lot of effort in to concealing it...I never knew those bag checks to be extremely thorough. Not sure why he couldn't have just left it back in the car or in the room in the first place though.

Did they get the police involved or just give him the boot?
It was I something that resembled a chewing tobacco container.

I didn't hang around long enough to see if OCSO got involved.

ParentsOf4

Can't we just go back to bashing the intelligence of Iger, Rasulo, Staggs, et al ... come on guys, remember how dumb those troglodytes are?
You have to keep 2 points in mind when discussing Iger et al:

First, the folks running TWDC are really smart businessmen. Nuff said on that.

Second, the folks running TWDC have absolutely no passion when it comes to the theme parks. Film? TV? They live for that stuff but theme parks are at the bottom of their lists. You want to kill your career in Burbank? Just say that you love the theme parks and take your family there all the time.

Every TWDC executive is pretty much expected to take a gold-plated WDW vacation (e.g. 3-bedroom villa at the Grand Floridian, dinner at Victoria & Albert, etc.) at least once in their careers. However, saying that you actually enjoyed it and want to take your family again is tantamount to admitting that you have no taste.

The theme parks originally were and still largely are targeted for Plebeians. To be a senior executive at TWDC, you have to act like a Patrician. Every up-and-coming exec knows that, meaning that mid and low-level management quickly learns to treat the theme parks with contempt.

When Eisner joined Disney, he started calling the executives running the theme parks "monkeys" as in "even a monkey could run them". At that time, the theme parks were the only profitable business segment. Eisner, who was completely clueless (as is Iger) when it comes to theme park business, thought the business was easy because the folks running them made it look easy.

What Eisner failed to understand was the folks running the theme parks loved them dearly, visited them often, and constantly were looking for ways to improve "Show". They made it look easy because they loved what they did.

They were forced out in the 1990s and replaced by executives more concerned with saving 0.04 cents per napkin than actually improving Show. WDW has declined exactly because those making the most important decisions about it don't believe in theme parks, don't have any passion for theme parks, and wish TWDC wasn't in the theme park business.

The Empress Lilly

Just to clarify, I wasn't looking for better accommodations, just relaying a story.
I know, I'm just going along with the theme. Essentially, that it is every bit as much of a neutral observation to judge that a woman is too large for a ride restraint system as it is to measure people if they make 48 inch to see if they are too little.

Cody5242

Rumor has it that Disney is holding potc 5 date as the date for Star Wars and will just move potc 5 to another date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom