Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbles1812

So far this series has not bothered me but Steven Kings writing........Scares the heck out of me.:eek:
I don't get Stephen King's writing lol. He is a fantastic writer... Until the last 10-50 pages. And then he sucks. The man can't write a good ending to save his life.

Also... That article above is a tad creepy. I love WDW but in no way shape or form would I move to Orlando solely for the Mouse.

Goofyernmost

I don't get Stephen King's writing lol. He is a fantastic writer... Until the last 10-50 pages. And then he sucks. The man can't write a good ending to save his life.

Also... That article above is a tad creepy. I love WDW but in no way shape or form would I move to Orlando solely for the Mouse.
Really? Read "1963"!

Magenta Panther

Todays Sentinel article could have been oh so much more:

By Jeff Kunerth, Orlando Sentinel
4:02 p.m. EDT, July 18, 2013
Every year, about 48,000 people move to metro Orlando from other states. They relocate here for jobs, climate, retirement, family and Disney. Yes, Disney.
It is not enough to vacation at Walt Disney World, coming back every year with the kids, and later, when the children grow up, by themselves — as Michael Bachand and his wife did. Or flying down a couple of times a year as Joan Doyle and her husband did for so long they didn't call it vacationing — they called it commuting.
This is what Disney does to people. It creates an experience so pleasurable, so addictive, that people leave behind their jobs, their families, their neighbors for no other reason than this is where the Mouse resides.
John Saccheri was five when he first visited Disney World. When the family got back to Long Island, he told his father that when he grew up, he was going to live near Disney. By near, he meant a house next to Cinderella's Castle.
His father told him he would outgrow his delusions.
"He said, 'You feel like that now, but when you get older, it won't be that important to you,' " said Saccheri, now 41. "He thought I was normal."
Saccheri knows moving just to be near a place of childhood fantasy is outside the lines of rational thought.
"I realize there's something obviously crazy about it, and I don't care, because I love it," he said.
He loves it because there is nowhere else that provides the same sense of respite, sanctuary and wonder from ordinary, dull, daily life. Disney World is the neat, orderly, familiar, entertaining, idealistic, nostalgic antidote to the messy, chaotic, dirty, unpredictable, threatening, sometimes dangerous society in which we live.
Joan Doyle calls it "The Disney Bubble." You enter The Disney Bubble when you walk through the front gates and the world is transformed from what it is into what it should be.
"When you get to Disney, the real world doesn't exist," said Doyle, 54, a project manager for Wyndham Vacation Ownership in Orlando. "In The Disney Bubble, people are being nice, kind to each other, helpful."
Before Joan and her husband Barry moved here in 2009, they would time how long it took before somebody — a rude clerk at the rental car return, a surly ticket agent at the airport, an obnoxious passenger on the plane — burst The Bubble.
Bachand and his wife feel the same way. They first visited Disney in 1986 when their kids were young and kept coming back until Bachand retired in 2005 and they could move to Osceola County from Boston.
Disney was always an escape from reality for Bachand, who worked in the insurance and defense industries, and that hasn't changed in his retirement.
"I had a very stressful job. Being able to walk through those gates and into a fantasy world was just magical," said Bachand, 67. "That feeling still exists today that you are walking into a different world, a nicer place, a happier place."
It took John Saccheri 29 years to make good on his promise to his father. In 2005, he moved his Mystique Shopper customer-service business from New York to Orlando.
Finding no housing available next to the Castle, he bought a home in Clermont. It's 25 minutes from Disney, which turns out to be close enough, he said: "It's not right on top of the tourists."
No longer a tourist and no longer a child, Saccheri remains entranced by Disney World as a resident of Central Florida.
"It still feels like fantasy," he said. "I still think, 'Wow, I can't believe I'm here.' "
jkunerth@tribune.com or 407-420-5392

Well, Uncle Walt, you were right. Again. The parks are (for the most part) doing what you designed them to do: to provide an escape, a haven, a place of healing, of inspiration, of camaraderie. You must be smiling. :) (Sorry about Epcot, though)...

Goofyernmost

Speaking of The Lone Ranger...I was in a Disney Store in Raleigh today and they had about a 12 foot section of the wall dedicated to stuff from TLR. Everything from Ranger and Tonto bobble-heads to a full black wig with a dead bird attached for those Johnny Depp wannabe's. Right next to it was about 18 feet of Planes. The had some cool merchandise for that. Aviator Jackets and military looking shirts with aviator sunglasses embroidered hanging on the pocket. Both kind of made me smile a little. Over half the store was devoted to those sweet little princess wannabe's. I was kind of pleased to see a worker (do they call them CM's too?) sitting on the floor for story telling time surrounded by kids that seemed to range from about 3 to 16. I didn't wait or get close enough to hear the story clearly, but it had to be about a princess didn't it?

One thing I did hear, I think was that someone wanted to buy a ticket for a trip in September. If I heard correctly the clerk told them that they could buy one but they would expire in 14 days unless they got the non-expiration option which would cost another $100.00. The customers just said, I guess we will wait until just before we go, turned and walked out. I decided that it wasn't my place to correct anyone, so I just wandered about looking at stuff. I almost bought a T-shirt with a picture of Grumpy on it that said...I'm Grumpy, because you are Happy! Damn that was clever. However, paying $20.00 for a T-shirt would have made me really Grumpy. Maybe they should change it to read...I'm Grumpy because I just paid $20.00 for this, $8.00 at Walmart, shirt!

The Empress Lilly

That is very true. I only wish that Michael Eisner wasn't so enamored with Paris that he could have picked up a newspaper in 1989 and realized, "Germany just reunified?!? Eff this French Disney park, delay it five years and build it over there!"

But in 2013? Man alive, whoever finally builds a world class theme park to support the Berlin metro area is going to bank HARD. Especially if they are savvy enough to keep the key features indoors.
Berlin...Berlin...

Gah! There is a perennial misconception outside of Europe that Germany is quality, the rest of Europe rubbish. Gah!
Let's have some fun with that!

Berlin did have a large theme park. The Spreepark. It went bankrupt.

Right before bankruptcy the owner managed to dismantle and ship off half the park to Peru, 'magically' unnoticed by German border patrol. Who in all likelihood were bought off to turn a blind eye as half a theme park passed before their very eyes. Sucks to have been a supplier or employee, wave goodbye to your money.
Management was later arrested (not by clueless (bought?) German law enforcement, but by Peru) for operating a drug running scheme, smuggling hundreds of kilos of cocaine into Germany in shipped theme park attraction parts.

What is left of the park is still rotting away in plain sight. For more than a decade now. A ruin in Berlin.
Cool pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/breakdennis/sets/72157605233495983/

spreepark_05.jpg

jensenrick

Just saw The Conjuring. It was definitely creepy, but it wasn't too scary. I've seen scarier (Insidious, Jeepers Creepers), but it was good. Very much like The Exorcist. Some things in the movie weren't explained and left you hanging, but still good. A classic horror film.

P.S. We had a great theater. Lots of people laughing during the scary parts and a few people commentating throughout the movie (my sister and I, included).

It sounds like a good, classic horror film, and I wish they had marketed it that way. Unfortunately, the way they try to pass it off as a "true story", including interviews with the "family" 20 years later- really rubs me the wrong way. There are already enough gullible people in this country.

jensenrick

By Jeff Kunerth, Orlando Sentinel
4:02 p.m. EDT, July 18, 2013
Every year, about 48,000 people move to metro Orlando from other states. They relocate here for jobs, climate, retirement, family and Disney. Yes, Disney.
It is not enough to vacation at Walt Disney World, coming back every year with the kids, and later, when the children grow up, by themselves — as Michael Bachand and his wife did. Or flying down a couple of times a year as Joan Doyle and her husband did for so long they didn't call it vacationing — they called it commuting.
This is what Disney does to people. It creates an experience so pleasurable, so addictive, that people leave behind their jobs, their families, their neighbors for no other reason than this is where the Mouse resides.
John Saccheri was five when he first visited Disney World. When the family got back to Long Island, he told his father that when he grew up, he was going to live near Disney. By near, he meant a house next to Cinderella's Castle.
His father told him he would outgrow his delusions.
"He said, 'You feel like that now, but when you get older, it won't be that important to you,' " said Saccheri, now 41. "He thought I was normal."
Saccheri knows moving just to be near a place of childhood fantasy is outside the lines of rational thought.
"I realize there's something obviously crazy about it, and I don't care, because I love it," he said.
He loves it because there is nowhere else that provides the same sense of respite, sanctuary and wonder from ordinary, dull, daily life. Disney World is the neat, orderly, familiar, entertaining, idealistic, nostalgic antidote to the messy, chaotic, dirty, unpredictable, threatening, sometimes dangerous society in which we live.
Joan Doyle calls it "The Disney Bubble." You enter The Disney Bubble when you walk through the front gates and the world is transformed from what it is into what it should be.
"When you get to Disney, the real world doesn't exist," said Doyle, 54, a project manager for Wyndham Vacation Ownership in Orlando. "In The Disney Bubble, people are being nice, kind to each other, helpful."
Before Joan and her husband Barry moved here in 2009, they would time how long it took before somebody — a rude clerk at the rental car return, a surly ticket agent at the airport, an obnoxious passenger on the plane — burst The Bubble.
Bachand and his wife feel the same way. They first visited Disney in 1986 when their kids were young and kept coming back until Bachand retired in 2005 and they could move to Osceola County from Boston.
Disney was always an escape from reality for Bachand, who worked in the insurance and defense industries, and that hasn't changed in his retirement.
"I had a very stressful job. Being able to walk through those gates and into a fantasy world was just magical," said Bachand, 67. "That feeling still exists today that you are walking into a different world, a nicer place, a happier place."
It took John Saccheri 29 years to make good on his promise to his father. In 2005, he moved his Mystique Shopper customer-service business from New York to Orlando.
Finding no housing available next to the Castle, he bought a home in Clermont. It's 25 minutes from Disney, which turns out to be close enough, he said: "It's not right on top of the tourists."
No longer a tourist and no longer a child, Saccheri remains entranced by Disney World as a resident of Central Florida.
"It still feels like fantasy," he said. "I still think, 'Wow, I can't believe I'm here.' "
jkunerth@tribune.com or 407-420-5392

Wow, I remember when I used to feel like this. I moved to Florida, partly, to be closer to Disney. It feels like it's been a long time since I felt a "bubble" however, and I realized it was a bubble in my head. I still want to move closer to Orlando one day (maybe Tampa or St Pete) but not because of WDW.

Kuhio

I didn't realize the extent to which people completely uproot themselves for Disney until 5 or 6 years ago.

I was waiting in a long line at Epcot, and struck up a conversation with a young couple in front of me. They were in their early 20s and had moved from England to Orlando earlier in the year. Despite the fact that neither of them had a job -- nor apparently any inclination to find a job anytime soon -- they had bought a house just minutes away from WDW. I had the distinct impression that their house, and lifestyle, were fully funded by their parents... who, they implied, were vehemently opposed to the move -- but obviously also concerned about what would happen to their kids in a foreign country without any financial support.

I don't know how large the house was, but the couple described every room being packed with Disney paraphernalia, including drawers and drawers stuffed so full of pins they couldn't be used for clothing or anything else. They showed me the pins they'd bought that day -- pins that would go straight into storage, and would never be worn. They made it a point to buy (at least) two copies of every single pin, including all the various Passholder and special event pins.

That was the first time I can recall truly feeling sad while at WDW. Ironically, the couple wasn't particularly joyful either, despite ostensibly living their dream. Rather than appreciating a beautiful morning at Epcot, they seemed to be intensely concerned with making sure that they had made all their necessary acquisitions for the day.

There's nothing wrong per se with moving somewhere because of someone or something that's there... and there's nothing wrong with "escaping from reality" for a week or two when the stresses of "real life" get to be too much. But when your "escape from reality" becomes your reality, that is the time to reflect and figure out whether Disney is just an addictive pastime -- or an actual addiction.

jensenrick

Berlin...Berlin...

Gah! There is a perennial misconception outside of Europe that Germany is quality, the rest of Europe rubbish. Gah!
Let's have some fun with that!

Berlin did have a large theme park. The Spreepark. It went bankrupt.

Right before bankruptcy the owner managed to dismantle and ship off half the park to Peru, 'magically' unnoticed by German border patrol. Who in all likelihood were bought off to turn a blind eye as half a theme park passed before their very eyes. Sucks to have been a supplier or employee, wave goodbye to your money.
Management was later arrested (not by clueless (bought?) German law enforcement, but by Peru) for operating a drug running scheme, smuggling hundreds of kilos of cocaine into Germany in shipped theme park attraction parts.

What is left of the park is still rotting away in plain sight. For more than a decade now. A ruin in Berlin.
Cool pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/breakdennis/sets/72157605233495983/

spreepark_05.jpg

Wow, that's a surreal picture, to go with a surprising story. Thank you for posting that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom