Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Pearl

Really feel for the family in Texas and praying for them and the people involved in the CP incident. Sad and unfortunate when things like this happen. Hopefully people are checking and fixing these rides as needed and are performing the prop work. Something clearly went wrong in these situations and all I can think about is the son that was sitting next to his mom in the Texas ride.

stevehousse

Really feel for the family in Texas and praying for them and the people involved in the CP incident. Sad and unfortunate when things like this happen. Hopefully people are checking and fixing these rides as needed and are performing the prop work. Something clearly went wrong in these situations and all I can think about is the son that was sitting next to his mom in the Texas ride.

Watch the news reports about the Texas incident; with eye witnesses and you can get a very clear picture of what happened was both ride attendees fault and the woman's own fault.

Reports of her being a bigger sized woman who's lap bar only clicked down once, who then noticed that everyone else's lap bars clicked 2 or 3 times. She was concerned an when the ride attendee walked by to "check" her lap bar, she commented on why it only clicked once. The attendee told her all it had to do is click once and he is good to go. Well she fell out!!!

I just have to wonder, I she was so nervous about it, why didn't she try to push the lap bar down farther? There have been times when I notice my lap bar not low enough for my comfort left and have clicked it down again, why didn't she attempt this? And if she was so scared why didn't he ask to get off.

I know it sounds mean, but if she was a big lady, she probably should have been told not to ride. I know this kind of thing happens time to time with guests.

On a side note about "fixing" te problem, most newer roller coaster that are lap bar only now have seat belts (lap only) like in cars in addition to a lap bar. I can definitely see them refurbing the trains to do this, a very quick fix. I also would not be surpised to see more coasters with lap bars add these belts.

It is a sad story, but this really could have been avoided if there wasn't rider/ride attendee error or misjudgment...

Nemo14

Watch the news reports about the Texas incident; with eye witnesses and you can get a very clear picture of what happened was both ride attendees fault and the woman's own fault.

Reports of her being a bigger sized woman who's lap bar only clicked down once, who then noticed that everyone else's lap bars clicked 2 or 3 times. She was concerned an when the ride attendee walked by to "check" her lap bar, she commented on why it only clicked once. The attendee told her all it had to do is click once and he is good to go. Well she fell out!!!

I just have to wonder, I she was so nervous about it, why didn't she try to push the lap bar down farther? There have been times when I notice my lap bar not low enough for my comfort left and have clicked it down again, why didn't she attempt this? And if she was so scared why didn't he ask to get off.

If the attendant told her it only needed to click once, then she must have believed that it was OK. Wouldn't you?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Yea this is a spirit thread and I felt it was very rude for "The Mom" to once again omit and censor comments as if this was communist china. Nobody idling to die or fall over if someone wants to talk about current events we are all adults here,

You agreed to the terms of this site when you joined up. And even The Spirit respects the wishes of the moderators when it comes to certain topics.

And if you don't like how The Mom or the other moderators do their jobs, there's plenty of options out there in the interwebs for you.....

PhotoDave219

Yea this is a spirit thread and I felt it was very rude for "The Mom" to once again omit and censor comments as if this was communist china. Nobody idling to die or fall over if someone wants to talk about current events we are all adults here,

In case you were curious, this isn't a democracy.

Politics is spiked here above all faster then a Texas woman flying off a rollercoaster....

PhotoDave219

I know it sounds mean, but if she was a big lady, she probably should have been told not to ride. I know this kind of thing happens time to time with guests.

On a side note about "fixing" te problem, most newer roller coaster that are lap bar only now have seat belts (lap only) like in cars in addition to a lap bar. I can definitely see them refurbing the trains to do this, a very quick fix. I also would not be surpised to see more coasters with lap bars add these belts.

It is a sad story, but this really could have been avoided if there wasn't rider/ride attendee error or misjudgment...

The restraints failed to do their job. A complete nightmare scenerio.

Here's an ride video of the rollercoaster in question.

raymusiccity

You agreed to the terms of this site when you joined up. And even The Spirit respects the wishes of the moderators when it comes to certain topics.

And if you don't like how The Mom or the other moderators do their jobs, there's plenty of options out there in the interwebs for you.....
Agree wholeheartedly . If someone on any of these boards would like to go off topic, they're more than welcomed to go over to Yahoo or AOL and match wits with the brainiacs over there. I love reading about Disneyana and always feel that going off topic ruins our primary reason for coming here . iMO

BryceM

I love IOA and Universal Orlando (in fact I got home today from a trip). But I disagree with what I bolded in terms of detail and theming.

In Dragon Challenge, you're literally flying over dead grass inside the Dragon's Mouth? There are also tons of eyesores everywhere. You can see almost every show-building in plain-view. Forbidden Journey's queue is literally in Jurassic Park to the point that there isn't even a fence blocking it from view rather just a rope.

This doesn't make it a bad park, nor does it take away from being a good park but not just immersive in detail like you said.

But I do agree that the attraction roster is spectacular and that Universal is doing big things and stopping the bad habits stated above.
While I agree with all that you said, I do think that each individual land in IOA (Port of Entry, The Lost Continent, Seuss Landing, etc.) are filled to the brim with amazing theming and "immersive details". I could go on my rant about how the FJ show building bothers me, but I won't. Like I said, I do agree with your points, but they don't detract too much from the amazing theming the park has.

No theme park is perfect (well, maybe DisneySea is). MK has it's flaws, IOA has it's flaws, EPCOT has it's flaws, etc. For example, the Soarin' show building behind Canada, or the Tomorrowland Speedway. But these minor flaws don't detract from me recognizing the parks are "immersive in detail".

Smiddimizer

With respect, this is a community, not a commune (joking..hey, don't look at me like that it was just waiting to be said). People gather here as fellow Disney enthusiasts, to discuss with people of similar interests, not to talk all D all the time. If there's an incessant troll infestation I see the right by mods to intervene, not when an innocent debate, political or otherwise, erupts. The topic at hand is DHS, but there's nothing new to gripe about, so sidetrack a little? Nope. Instead someone gets all pragmatic about it, decides its unconstitutional, and goes and tells mommy. Maybe the mods could get rid of the discriminatory or offensive posts instead of erasing the conversation altogether. I'm in the middle of typing this and it already feels like its gonna disappea...

Nemo14

With respect, this is a community, not a commune (joking..hey, don't look at me like that it was just waiting to be said). People gather here as fellow Disney enthusiasts, to discuss with people of similar interests, not to talk all D all the time. If there's an incessant troll infestation I see the right by mods to intervene, not when an innocent debate, political or otherwise, erupts. The topic at hand is DHS, but there's nothing new to gripe about, so sidetrack a little? Nope. Instead someone gets all pragmatic about it, decides its unconstitutional, and goes and tells mommy. Maybe the mods could get rid of the discriminatory or offensive posts instead of erasing the conversation altogether. I'm in the middle of typing this and it already feels like its gonna disappea...

with all due respect, you might want to read Steve's message at the top of the page and pay close attention to points 9 and 10. just sayin'

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

There has always been a "no politics" rule on this site, and nothing was going to change that. And if it wasn't The Mom, it would have been one of the other moderators....

And again, if you don't like the rules here, you have other options....

wishiwere@wdw

With respect to the awful SFOT accident, please let the investigation play out. There have been so many false stories published by the media that its making it difficult to learn the true facts. For instance, these are hydraulic restraints. They don't make any clicking sounds whatsoever. There were plenty more like the ride being 400ft tall, etc.

Just throwing caution out there because just like the Cedar Point story, things get all mushed together as people post and talk about it. Ultimately, just have thoughts and prayers for the families of the victims (including witnesses). I can't even imagine.

And to the Spirit, my apologies for further derailing the thread lol

Edit: sorta back on topic... For what it's worth, after a recent visit with friends that hadn't been to WDW for years and with a few of the kids being newbies, they actually were wishing they set aside time for universal instead, which is where they had been a few times over the years. And they couldn't understand why anybody would deal with the busses and started driving by day 2 lol

Just a observation that made me realize it means different things to each person. Overall we had a great time.

SirLink

In case you were curious, this isn't a democracy.

Politics is spiked here above all faster then a Texas woman flying off a rollercoaster....

The problem is everything leads to politics talk - it would be nice if there was an area on this site where you could go to talk about it at least seen as it always boils up...

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
The problem is everything leads to politics talk - it would be nice if there was an area on this site where you could go to talk about it at least seen as it always boils up...

To have a large amount of back and forth with all take and no give? No, political discussion on boards is useless and goes nowhere. All it leads to is thinking less of certain posters no matter which side you are on.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Agree wholeheartedly . If someone on any of these boards would like to go off topic, they're more than welcomed to go over to Yahoo or AOL and match wits with the brainiacs over there. I love reading about Disneyana and always feel that going off topic ruins our primary reason for coming here . iMO

You mean you want me to use all my free ten hours talking to other braniacs?

PhotoDave219

With respect to the awful SFOT accident, please let the investigation play out. There have been so many false stories published by the media that its making it difficult to learn the true facts. For instance, these are hydraulic restraints. They don't make any clicking sounds whatsoever. There were plenty more like the ride being 400ft tall, etc.

Well, it seems pretty cut and dry that the guest was not properly restrained, leading to their ejection from the ride vehicle and subsequent death.

I'm not sure how much more there is to investigate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom