Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevehousse

They could potentially do a second season if CBS really wante too, but then they would be going past what is in te book an be creating as they go, which I don't really see happening! We will see

Nubs70

Part of me agrees with you - but then Berlin still has its own set of problems. It is still not doing well at all economically in general. There are more and more pockets of wealth, but the city itself is insanely short on money. It still has no functioning international airport (actually the Berlin airport story is another building project that totally failed, which still does not make Germans incompetent in general). The old airport was too small over 25 years ago already. Berlin also very much is an island within a very empty countryside. Most of Central Europe is rather densely populated, but around Berlin it is very empty for Europe. All of this really does not really speak for a big theme park project there.

On the other hand, Berlin is incredibly popular with tourists, and for some strange reason seen as a place to go for shopping. I think around 70% of the retail revenue in Berlin comes from tourists. And there are all these smallish "themed entertainments" starting to come up in Berlin. It has a Lego Discovery Center, a House of Barbie is about to open there. So I think for these kind of tourist a theme park would be an additional appeal.

But I truly think you can't blame Eisner. Having experienced the fall of the Berlin Wall and reunification in person and from very close, I can tell you that first of all in 1989 no one would have expected for things to move that quickly! Just remember that in 1989 World War II was still officially ongoing as there had never been a peace treaty. Until the 4+1 treaty in 1990 the US, French and the British were still occupying forces in West Germany even. And those first ten years were an extremely rough time - more for the East than the West. It was truly not the time for big theme park projects to succeed.

And finally - you still have the climate issue. Berlin has really long and cold winters - when I lived there it was two months of temperatures around 15°F. You don't want to be in a theme park in this kind of weather.

Berlin or even Germany for a Disney park. Germany has too special of meaning to have a Disney park. My feeling is that a Disney park would be a huge American eyesore.

Although BER has huge problems (have they been able to turn the lights off yet?), one could fly into Hamburg, Hannover, or Koln and be in Berlin in a few hours.

nytimez

It was announced in November 2012 that CBS had bypassed ordering a pilot and given Under the Dome a thirteen-episode straight-to-series commitment. "This is a great novel coming to the television screen with outstanding auspices and in-season production values to create a summer programming event," commented Tassler in the official CBS press release.

It is an "event" or mini series so to speak...CBS has done the before with special event series, not lasting more than 1 season. There is no season 2 planned as the 13th episode will wrap up the book, however in an interview Stephen King gave on the series, he did say that the ending was changed. If you search online you can find the same info I jut gave...

I like Under The Dome ad can't wait to see how it ends! And I believe the ratings have been good for it so far. But rating or not, it will not see a second season! This is it!

There are plans for a second season. They're just waiting for the network commitment, which I have to believe is forthcoming given the ratings.

Reactions: |Q|

Californian Elitist

Just saw The Conjuring. It was definitely creepy, but it wasn't too scary. I've seen scarier (Insidious, Jeepers Creepers), but it was good. Very much like The Exorcist. Some things in the movie weren't explained and left you hanging, but still good. A classic horror film.

P.S. We had a great theater. Lots of people laughing during the scary parts and a few people commentating throughout the movie (my sister and I, included).

pheneix

Part of me agrees with you - but then Berlin still has its own set of problems. It is still not doing well at all economically in general. There are more and more pockets of wealth, but the city itself is insanely short on money. It still has no functioning international airport (actually the Berlin airport story is another building project that totally failed, which still does not make Germans incompetent in general). The old airport was too small over 25 years ago already. Berlin also very much is an island within a very empty countryside. Most of Central Europe is rather densely populated, but around Berlin it is very empty for Europe. All of this really does not really speak for a big theme park project there.

On the other hand, Berlin is incredibly popular with tourists, and for some strange reason seen as a place to go for shopping. I think around 70% of the retail revenue in Berlin comes from tourists. And there are all these smallish "themed entertainments" starting to come up in Berlin. It has a Lego Discovery Center, a House of Barbie is about to open there. So I think for these kind of tourist a theme park would be an additional appeal.

Ah now that is some insight and first hand knowledge that you don't get from just anywhere. Thank you for posting that.

One thing that's special about theme parks is that they are not a short term investment. It is a development that will be nurtured and grow over the course of 20-30 years, maybe even longer. It is that long term view that I base my suggestion that a world class indoor theme park (after what you said about winter climate I wouldn't bother with an outdoor venue) in Berlin would be a very wise investment.

WDW1974

Original Poster
VERY late midweek Spirited Musings:

Lots and lots of misinformation being zinged around the backside of the fan community. Folks should heed caution before jumping the gun and throwing stuff out there, even folks I respect. Everything doesn't have to be the act, foreplay is very nice too.

So, Emmy nods went out. I wasn't really surprised by any of it. Cranston and Danes are absolute locks in the drama category. 30 Rock got the typical love that Emmy tends to give great shows that are played out, but have one last chance at the statues. Happy that my pal Michael's wife got a nom, even if I never saw her performance. No, I don,t care about Downton Abby (soon to be known as Downton Springs), but I will never tell Julian that after the amazing Mary Poppins tickets he gave my family as a favor from a certain Disney musical Legend. I don't ask for much from Emmy, she is as fickle as any fanboi I know, but can we please give Ed O'Neill a freaking Emmy already? The man is an incredible talent and sorta the glue of Modern Family. You can't hold Al Bundy against him forever.

Overall, a star-studded field this year, which is making me excited for fall already.

Where the hell did these Oz Land for DL come from? Sure, I mentioned like a year ago that Baxter had all sorts of concepts and ideas, but that was before he was forced into retirement and the movie 'only' made a half a billion and counting. So, who is pushing this one and what is their agenda?

No, building Euro Disney was not a mistake. No, building it in Paris wasn't either. People forget that much if Europe was still part of the other former super power (see what I did?) when the deal was made back in 1987 and when locales were being scouted in 85-86. There were only two locations viable and Disney did pick the best one by far. Six massive hotels and a campground were why the park stumbled and a ridiculous debt is why it has continued to. But it will get better ... Eventually.

Two things I don't want to be asked about (Imagination's redo, which is happening, and Kong returning, which .... I'll tell you when someone tells me).

I need a few fanbois to rub lotion ...on my feet (get those minds out of Vista Way people). Wearing sandals in FL daily isn't good for them at all.

To @Lee, I'm glad we got that 'what if?' out of the way tonight.

Is Pacific Rim tanking too?

Sad what is going down at BGW. Let's hope management gets changed quickly.

Why it it that every six months, like clockwork, some new Twit starts becoming the in mysterious stranger for fanbois to go to like they're Moses? Now, it's some dude using Card Walker?!?! What's next Sharon Disney musing from the other side on Twitter?

Funny, but true: talked to a friend today ... She was painting one of those big sized vinylmations into a Minion.

Did anyone notice the vinylmations prominently shown in Jonah Hill's or was it Seth Rogen's home in The End is Here?

BTW, are Hill and Rogen the same guy. I can,t tell.

Kudos for Oprah for finally doing something worthy with OWN.

Sorry for all the posts I missed. Very busy period. I won't likely be posting that much for the rest of July, but what I post might be more interesting than this drivel (just kidding, I love what I post) has been. Y'all have great weekends.

StageFrenzy

Maybe DLP could use some performance enhancing drugs, from what I understand letour is good for that, no? Sagan, Griepel, and Cavendish (maybe Kittel too) sprinting down mainstreet now that's European and beautiful. Speak the word "marginal gains" and the train to the Sky is there a long with pixiedust addled fanboi's and spirits. Plus think of the occupancy rates!

StageFrenzy

HTF tried a little foreplay but ultimately my gut feeling is that he blew his load a bit too early. I appreciate the info but its still a bit nebulous. If it was Disney running Disaster id say they had 30 yrs left on the exp. date. Christopher Walken, Dwayne Johnson and bad Grandma jokes easily outpaces the "backlot tour" at DHS.

Longhairbear

It sounds like total BS to me. I've never heard of it. All the buzz I've heard about CA parks is about Tomorrowland.
I'll take your word on this. However, I like his website for what that is worth. I am no longer connected, meaning I haven't seen certain people in years, so I grasp at any straws, and the main reason I view this site, and forum. I read about this on Facebook as well from OZ fans that I know. I haven't the heart to burst Glinda's bubble to them if it is not true.

asianway

Todays Sentinel article could have been oh so much more:

By Jeff Kunerth, Orlando Sentinel
4:02 p.m. EDT, July 18, 2013
Every year, about 48,000 people move to metro Orlando from other states. They relocate here for jobs, climate, retirement, family and Disney. Yes, Disney.
It is not enough to vacation at Walt Disney World, coming back every year with the kids, and later, when the children grow up, by themselves — as Michael Bachand and his wife did. Or flying down a couple of times a year as Joan Doyle and her husband did for so long they didn't call it vacationing — they called it commuting.
This is what Disney does to people. It creates an experience so pleasurable, so addictive, that people leave behind their jobs, their families, their neighbors for no other reason than this is where the Mouse resides.
John Saccheri was five when he first visited Disney World. When the family got back to Long Island, he told his father that when he grew up, he was going to live near Disney. By near, he meant a house next to Cinderella's Castle.
His father told him he would outgrow his delusions.
"He said, 'You feel like that now, but when you get older, it won't be that important to you,' " said Saccheri, now 41. "He thought I was normal."
Saccheri knows moving just to be near a place of childhood fantasy is outside the lines of rational thought.
"I realize there's something obviously crazy about it, and I don't care, because I love it," he said.
He loves it because there is nowhere else that provides the same sense of respite, sanctuary and wonder from ordinary, dull, daily life. Disney World is the neat, orderly, familiar, entertaining, idealistic, nostalgic antidote to the messy, chaotic, dirty, unpredictable, threatening, sometimes dangerous society in which we live.
Joan Doyle calls it "The Disney Bubble." You enter The Disney Bubble when you walk through the front gates and the world is transformed from what it is into what it should be.
"When you get to Disney, the real world doesn't exist," said Doyle, 54, a project manager for Wyndham Vacation Ownership in Orlando. "In The Disney Bubble, people are being nice, kind to each other, helpful."
Before Joan and her husband Barry moved here in 2009, they would time how long it took before somebody — a rude clerk at the rental car return, a surly ticket agent at the airport, an obnoxious passenger on the plane — burst The Bubble.
Bachand and his wife feel the same way. They first visited Disney in 1986 when their kids were young and kept coming back until Bachand retired in 2005 and they could move to Osceola County from Boston.
Disney was always an escape from reality for Bachand, who worked in the insurance and defense industries, and that hasn't changed in his retirement.
"I had a very stressful job. Being able to walk through those gates and into a fantasy world was just magical," said Bachand, 67. "That feeling still exists today that you are walking into a different world, a nicer place, a happier place."
It took John Saccheri 29 years to make good on his promise to his father. In 2005, he moved his Mystique Shopper customer-service business from New York to Orlando.
Finding no housing available next to the Castle, he bought a home in Clermont. It's 25 minutes from Disney, which turns out to be close enough, he said: "It's not right on top of the tourists."
No longer a tourist and no longer a child, Saccheri remains entranced by Disney World as a resident of Central Florida.
"It still feels like fantasy," he said. "I still think, 'Wow, I can't believe I'm here.' "
jkunerth@tribune.com or 407-420-5392

willtravel

Read the book! Steven King already knows what is happening and how it ends. It's a good thing that no one reads anymore or that show would never have seen the light of day.
So far this series has not bothered me but Steven Kings writing........Scares the heck out of me.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom